Thread: Trigger upgrade: Stock vs SSS

Basic Member

Trigger upgrade: Stock vs SSS

I'm currently endeavoring to make my factory stocked Savage 111 more accurate and shootable. I haven't been hunting very long, only a few years, but I feel like I would benefit from a more consistent rifle. I am already going to be replacing the stock and recoil lug and now I'm looking into the future of my trigger. Its a non-accutrigger model and I'm trying to decide whether to take the action to one of the smiths local here or replace it with one from SSS. I know that I have room to grow as a shooter so I'm just curious as to if I will even benefit from a top-end trigger like SSS instead of just having my factory trigger cleaned up. Any input from people who have upgraded their non-AT model to a SSS, please post up and let me know how different it was. I know it will be better, but is it worth it for someone still learning?

Team Savage
    Upgrade to the SSS Competition trigger. I don't think the non-Accutrigger could be made to come even close.

maclowry
    How does the SSS compare to the sav1 and sav2 from rifle basix?

Clint KY
    I think that the Minimum of 2 lbs. on the Competition SSS trigger is a little light for field gun. I would consider the Rifle Basix trigger. The SAV-1 will adjust from 3 lbs. to just under 1 lb. and it is less expensive.

Basic Member
    i use my rifles for hunting and target shooting, though i'm not as good a shooter as i once was but i have been putting the RifleBasix Sav-1 on my rifles and reallly like them, easy to install and adjust. haven't used any other so i can not tell you how they compare. hope this helps.

I have a SAv-1 on one of my rifles and it is not much better than the stock 3 screw I had reworked myself. It is good but as I use the gun mostly for bench shooting as soon as I come up with the $ I am going to get an SSS installed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint KY View Post
    I think that the Minimum of 2 lbs. on the Competition SSS trigger is a little light for field gun. I would consider the Rifle Basix trigger. The SAV-1 will adjust from 3 lbs. to just under 1 lb. and it is less expensive.
    I'm pretty sure that the 2lb is the minimum, doesn't mean I'd have it adjusted that light.

Clint KY
    Quote Originally Posted by bottlerocket View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the 2lb is the minimum, doesn't mean I'd have it adjusted that light.
    Quoted from the SSS website: "The pull range is approximately 2lbs. to 12oz."

The highest you can set the SSS Comp trigger is 2 lb. - the lightest is 12 oz. - Great bench rest trigger but too light for me to carry in the woods.

Here is the website: http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
    Last edited by Clint KY; 08-12-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added website

Nandy
    I have a sav-1 and it is great. I have not got a SSS so i can't compare but maybe i will on my next action. To me the sav-1 is lighthears ahead of the stock trigger.
    Bythebook, gave you contacted the sav-1 manufacturer? There might be something wrong with your unit or maybe you oversaw an adjustment.

Nandy
    In my opinion after one install any of these aftermarket triggers your best insurance is to keep your bolt unlocked until you are ready to fire. That is what I have been doing for years and i have yet to spook deer or loose a shot opportunity due to this.

thomae
    If you have an older model with a three screw trigger, it can be tuned and adjusted so that it is an ideal hunting trigger. (Crisp with no apparent creep or overtravel but not too light for hunting.) Before you go spending about a C note, what kind of stock trigger do you already have?

nsaqam
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    If you have an older model with a three screw trigger, it can be tuned and adjusted so that it is an ideal hunting trigger. (Crisp with no apparent creep or overtravel but not too light for hunting.) Before you go spending about a C note, what kind of stock trigger do you already have?
    Amen!

Put the $100 towards a better stock such as a McMillan or a Manners and you'll have something which will improve the fit and feel of your rifle far more than a trigger will.

Basic Member
    I think I have a 3 screw. What other s are there other than AT?

maclowry
    My 3 screw trigger on my 110e, is adjusted to about the same pull an my rifle basix sav1( which is almost a copy of a 3 screw trigger).
    Good trigger.

Basic Member
    Found an online guide for tuning the 3 screw trigger and it worked quite well. Creep is gone and the pull is nice and light but not too light. Banged the action around and couldn't get it to dry fire at all.

Looks like I saved that $100 after all and now I can focus on getting this re-stocked, put a new recoil lug on it and probably replace the barrel. **** this is fun!

nsaqam
    Quote Originally Posted by maclowry View Post
    My 3 screw trigger on my 110e, is adjusted to about the same pull an my rifle basix sav1( which is almost a copy of a 3 screw trigger).
    Good trigger.
    So is the Timney.

nsaqam
    Found an online guide for tuning the 3 screw trigger and it worked quite well. Creep is gone and the pull is nice and light but not too light. Banged the action around and couldn't get it to dry fire at all.

Looks like I saved that $100 after all and now I can focus on getting this re-stocked, put a new recoil lug on it and probably replace the barrel. **** this is fun!
    Good deal BR!
    A quality stock will make all the difference in the world. Skip right over the low end B&C's, the Choates, and god forbid the Ramlines.

ellobo
    Bottlerocket you are creeping up on an addiction from which there is no escape. That makes you an official member of the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut. I see impending bankruptcy in your future if you arn't careful.

El Lobo

NotoriousAPP
    Can you please post a link to this online guide?
    Last edited by NotoriousAPP; 02-07-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Forgot quote

thomae
    Yyou can view it here, but I believe you must be a paid member:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ent-Procedures