Thread: need help with Savage LRPV bolt

kenickie22

need help with Savage LRPV bolt

I have a 22-250 1:9 twist LRPV that I've been extremely disappointed with so far. My problem is that I can't get the bolt back after firing. The bolt operates fine when empty or with a loaded round. The bolt lift is fine. My primers look OK, and the load is not hot as far what the manuals say or what other people with these guns are using. The last load I've been working with is 75gr A-Max's over RL-15 powder. The problem starts at around 32.4 grains. My primers don't look bad, I've checked my Chargemaster against a beam scale, and my chronograph shows just under 3100fps, so I don't think it's an over charging issue. I'm using Lapua brass. I was advised that it might be caused by a rough chamber, so I had my gunsmith check it out and he agreed. I recently got it back after having him polish the chamber, but I still have the same issue. I've tried other powders (4064, H4350, Varget, H414, etc.) and still have the issue as I get closer to a "warm" load. Also, accuracy is terrible until I get a "warmer" load. I'm full length sizing with a Redding type S (with the neck expander removed). I haven't disassembled the bolt to set up my die... I've been using Sinclair bump gages and setting the shoulder back between .001" and .002". I'm hoping this is something simple that I've missed. Any ideas? Thanks.

My problem is that I can't get the bolt back after firing. The bolt operates fine when empty or with a loaded round. The bolt lift is fine.
    Could you go more in detail with your problem. What exactly do you mean when "You can't get the bolt back after firing"?

There should be an answer to this.

kenickie22
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Could you go more in detail with your problem. What exactly do you mean when "You can't get the bolt back after firing"?

There should be an answer to this.
    Dennis,
    After firing, the bolt lifts with minimal force. I can't pull the bolt back without putting the gun to my shoulder and pulling extremely hard. Also, after I do finally get the bolt open, if I try and put the empty case back in, I get the same result. If I put an empty case in that had fired a very low powder charge, it opens fine. I know this sounds like an over pressure issue, but my primers don't show this and the charges aren't hot. Any ideas? Thanks!

Just a though.... Make sure you have no interference with scope mount base screws, and action screws by loosing a turn or two them then trying above procedure with fired case.

Basic Member
    Sounds like a primary extraction issue.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

The only time I ever had an issue like this, it was caused by overpressure! But the signs were all over. Flattened primers, marks on the brass head, and in some cases I broke the lip on the brass trying to extract it.

Everything you state sounds good. You definetly should have primer issues and ejector marks on the head of the brass before the brass sticking in the chamber!

Maybe someone will have the answer.

kenickie22
    mkf350, thanks for the idea - I'll give this a try tomorrow.

kenickie22
    earl39,
    What can I do to determine if this is the issue? And what can I do to fix it? Thanks for the response.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenickie22 View Post
    earl39,
    What can I do to determine if this is the issue? And what can I do to fix it? Thanks for the response.
    From my understanding it is a bolt handle problem on some actions. The handles were out of spec. I would PM sharpshooter and see what he has to say or just do a search for "primary extraction issue"
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

kenickie22
    Thanks Earl! I've taken both of your suggestions. This sounds exactly like my problem.

skypilot
    Sounds like some pressure issues and/or the brass has lost it's spring from pressure or repeated usage. FL resize will fix but when fired again will do the same if brass has lost the ability to expand to the chamber when fired and then return to a size less than chamber diameter.

kenickie22
    Thanks skypilot. But I'm using new Lapua brass.

Basic Member
    Try a box of factory ammo just to see what happens.

ellobo
    In an earlier thread Sharpshooter made the comment that Savage had bolts with a defect and they machined material off them. The material they removed caused there to be NO primarly extraction. He suggested a new bolt of aftermarket type. It sounds like classic lack of primary extraction especialy if there are no overpressure signs present.

El Lobo.

kenickie22
    Looks like you guys were right. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1dd...ature=youtu.be

82boy
    The problem with your rifle is it doen't have enough primary extraction. There are two common causes for this in Savage rifles, one is the bolt body is out of phase, the other is that the bolt handel doesn't have the correct angle ramp on it. You can fix the bolt handle problem by buying another bolt handel, the bolt body out of phase would require a new bolt body.

scoeri
    82boy,
    will you please explain what bolt body is out of phase means and how to check for this.
    thanks for all your knowledge.
    scott

82boy
    "Out of phase" meaning the bolt body in the maner it was made that the place where the notches that the bolt body drops into in, was cut in the wrong orintation to the bolt body/ bolt head. There has been a few that have passed throught the savage plant that had this problem.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by kenickie22 View Post
    Looks like you guys were right. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1dd...ature=youtu.be
    Yup that is a primary extraction problem, changing the bolt handel will do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by mkf350 View Post
    Just a though.... Make sure you have no interference with scope mount base screws, and action screws by loosing a turn or two them then trying above procedure with fired case.
    My thought as well. Check your bolt thoroughly for witness marks.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Unless this is a second-hand gun, I'd send it to Savage with an explanation of what's wrong, probably including a link to the vid. In fact, I'd try hard to get them to send a call tag. You can fix it yourself, of course (or your 'smith can); just a matter of which way you want to go.

If this was an issue of scope base screw interference, it'd be tough to lift & lower the bolt, and that'd be the case all the time. The bolt lugs are 90 degrees away from the scope base screws when the handle is lifted (i.e. when pulling back or pushing forward on the bolt).
    Last edited by MZ5; 08-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.

82boy
    The problem with sending it back to Savage is they may replace the bolt handel, and it will still have the same problem. They have been told about the primary extraction problem, and that the problem lies with the bolt handels.

kenickie22
    I did call Savage. The guy I talked to acted like he'd never heard of this issue. He wasn't interested in watching the video either. I've got a new Sharp Shooter Supply bolt handle on order.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

kenickie22
    I installed my new bolt handle from Sharp Shooter Supply, and I now have primary extraction! Can't wait to shoot it this weekend.

kenickie22
    I shot my gun for the first time after installing the new bolt handle today. It extracts great now!