Thread: New savage having light primer strike problem

Captramrod01

New savage having light primer strike problem

Just picked up a hog hunter in 308 and am having some light strike problems. Trigger is set about half turn above the lowest it can go if that matters. Just have about 20 rounds through it but out of the 20 I had 6 failed to ignite. Primers were CCI #200 and they have no problems in the other guns I use them with. Also audibly when you dry fire it does not 'click' as loud as my other model 10. Any ideas? I have taken the bolt apart and cleaned it, no obvious physical signs as to why it would be doing this.

Basic Member
    sounds like either a weak firing pin spring or the firing pin itself is hanging up in the bolt head as it's trying to make it's way to the primer.try taking the bolt apart again and check the ease of travel of the firing pin in the bolt head tunnel.

Captramrod01
    How easily should it travel? Like if I hold it bolt face down should the firing pin push through the hole by itself? This is with it apart of coarse.

Basic Member
    the firing pin should just fall forward until the shoulder bottoms out in the bolt head without having to push it at all.

Captramrod01
    Ok, looks like my problem is probably the firing pin assemble. I'll be giving savage a call on monday. Thanks vegas.

Basic Member
    try rolling your firing pin on a very flat surface to see if there is runout in the pin. if your firing pin is straight the problem lies more with your bolt head, meaning that the port the firing pin rides in needs cleaned up . i have cleaned up rough ports by using a drill bit to run down the hole and remove any burs or debri that could be inhibiting the firing pin from doing it's job correctly.

Is there any indent mark on the primer after the miss fire? If there isn't what is happening is your sear is tripping before the accu trigger blade is full depressed. You need to pull the blade straight back with the trigger. If that doesn't help, adjust the trigger adjustment screw in more.

If your getting light indent mark's on the primer, then measure the firing pin protrustion first.

Captramrod01
    Dan, on the miss fires there is still a primer indent. I will measure the firing pin protrusion, trying to research the best way to do that.

Vegas, there is a bit of run out in the firing pin. So I guess it could be a combination of both firing pin protrusion length and the fact that my firing pin isn't strait. Yep, my remington friends are loving this one.

Basic Member
    Cap, see if this article answers any questions you may have.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...rotrusion-Data

Captramrod01
    Devil thanks for the link. That's the exact information I was looking for. I will get to measuring and adjusting.

Captramrod01
    Firing pin protrusion measured out at .0405". So looks like that is fine....

Basic Member
    thats plenty of protrusion. you may be able to straighten the firing pin in a bench vise or at least file down the high spot where it's rubbing the inside or the bolt head. this may get you by while you are waiting for a new pin if you decide to order another one.

Captramrod01
    That's the plan. Tomorrow I'll call first thing and try to get one shipped quick. I have a comp I was hoping to use this gun for on Saturday. Thanks again for all your help guys, hopefully Savage will hook me up without too much fuss.

Basic Member
    i have an "short action" 308 bolt you i can send you to use in the mean time or if you wish i can send just the firing pin assembly. you pay shipping both ways and return when your new one comes in. let me know and i can get it off 1st thing in the morning. just pm me your info.
    Bruce