Thread: What other comercial manufacturers barrels can be used on Savage small shank?

Basic Member

What other comercial manufacturers barrels can be used on Savage small shank?

I am fairly new to the switch barrel savage rifle.

I have been informed that I can use a marlin barrel on my savage small shank action. Is this true?

Are there other manufactures that use the same threads on their barrels that are identical to savage?

Thank you.

Steve
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, drink GOOD beer!

Basic Member

Re: What other comercial manufacturers barrels can be used on Savage small shank?

NO
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Re: What other comercial manufacturers barrels can be used on Savage small shank?

Plenty of good aftermarket barrels availalble for the Savage action, no need to try using other manufacturers.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

I've also heard that the Marlin XL7 barrel is the same shank size and thread size as the standard shank Savage so if that's true I would think it would work. But if it were me I would just use an aftermarket barrel instead of another factory barrel but that's just me.

Dont know why youd wanna use a Marlin barrel on a Savage, when there are so many factory takeoff and aftermarket barrels out there for a Savage.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

pphreed1

just for grins and giggles I called marlin and asked what threads they use and was told it was proprietory information and I told him somebody was bull------- somebody have a merry christmas but I have been told they are interchangeable with savage so now you know no more than you did before

Basic Member

"Dont know why youd wanna use a Marlin barrel on a Savage, when there are so many factory takeoff and aftermarket barrels out there for a Savage."

I guess just like many other things we do, just because. There may be something about the barrel somebody wants or they may want to do it for the sake of doing it. I think I saw another post on here somewhere where somebody used a Savage barrel on a Marlin. It may have been Sinman but I'm not sure.

Basic Member

Now I could see if you had a Marlin and wanted to use Savage barrels, there is a WHOLE lot more Savage barrels out there.

On the Marlin to Savage issue, it seems I read somewhere that although the TPI count was the same and the dia the same, the pitch of the threads was different. If unsure take the two of them to a reputable machinist and he could verify the threads for you.

DangerousDan put a Savage barrel on a Marlin.

Here's a C&P from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan
    Yep I Did That a Few Months ago 243/22/AI DD
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/dds1957/IMG_1511.jpg[/img]
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

thanks for the comments
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, drink GOOD beer!

okie2

THAT BARREL NUT LOOKS LIKE IT IS ALUMINUM.
    WHAT IS IT?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by okie2
    THAT BARREL NUT LOOKS LIKE IT IS ALUMINUM.
    WHAT IS IT?
    I would say blasted stainless.