Thread: OAL question

groaner71

OAL question

I am loading up my first ammo for my FCP-I .223, and have a question regarding max cartridge OAL. I am loading Nosler 55gr and according to Nosler's Web site, the max OAL is 2.260". I can load a dummy round to 2.365" and it will fit in the magazine and not contact the rifling. I hear about loading to just of the lands and understand the process, but my question is, is that for longer bullets (ie, 69gr+), or can you do this with these 55gr bullets as well. If so, then what is the guideline for the minimum about of bullet that must be seated into the case?

KRP
    The old rule of thumb was one bullet diameter in the neck but you really only need enough for the bullet to be held straight and to stay in place for the given amount of abuse the ammo will see. Ammo for a hunting rifle or heavier recoiling repeater may be better off with a little more than ammo that will only travel from the shooting bag to the bench.
    Last edited by KRP; 08-16-2012 at 02:17 PM.

John_M
    groaner71, KRP and I have the same "...rule of thumb...".

Regarding seating depth, I will say what works best in my Savage .223 Rem with 1" - 9" twist. Loading 55 gr. and 60 gr. Sierra, Hornady, and Nosler bullets, I achieve best accuracy with the bullet seated with .015" - .020" of "jump". 100 yd. 5 shot groups get larger whan I load closer to the lands than .015". My best group so far is with the 55 gr. Sierra Boat Tail Hollow Point (BTHP) bullet. These loads have a "jump" of .020". These 5 shot, 100 yard groups are in the .25" to .27" range. The Hornady bullets are a close second place and the Noser a close third. Additional experimentation may switch those places a little. Please note that these results are only applicable to MY rifle.

As far as determinng the seating distance to the lands, I believe using an OAL Gauge in conjunction with a bullet Comparator and accurate caliper will give you the best results. Others on this forum would disagree with my procedures and tools. They will promote their personal procedures using their homemade tools which seem to work just fine. Do a search for "seating depth" or "bullet seating depth" and you will find many useful threads.

As a side note, I am not certain that all reloaders would agree with the meaning of the acronyms cartridge "OAL" and cartridge "COAL".

Here is my interpretation of those two confusing acronyms: "OAL" is the distance from the base of the case to the OGIVE of the seated bullet; "COAL" is the distance from the base of the case to the TIP or MEPLAT of the bullet. In cartridge reloading procedures, both words have the same meaning. "Meplat" is taken from the french and seems to be used with increasing frequency in some handolading circles.

Good luck!
    Last edited by John_M; 08-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.

groaner71
    Thanks for the replies. That definitely clears things up. :D

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.