Thread: Anybody use the Shaw Tactical 20" threaded 308 barrels from Midway?

Anybody use the Shaw Tactical 20" threaded 308 barrels from Midway?

Did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/762388

These barrels are backordered at Midway until December, but I'm curious if anybody here has one and if so what your experiences have been with it in terms of accuracy.

Bought one last fall but have not had the chance to shoot it yet.

Basic Member
    Very good price on them. I don't have an action for one yet, but may get one for a future suppressed rifle build.

Every Shaw barrel I have ever owned has been great. Shoots right there with the best of them.

maclowry
    my friend has one on order.
    i'm curious to see it as well.

Brianatl
    I have one got it because well it was cheap and I was curious to see if it was any good. I was quite surprised its a pretty good shooter .75 or less. Loading H4895 getting 2850 with a 155 SMK.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Every Shaw barrel I have ever owned has been great. Shoots right there with the best of them.
    Exactly the same experience here.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

helotaxi
    The first four groups were shot on the same day in relatively rapid succession alternating between the SSA and handloads.

First two groups at 100yds with Silver State Armory factory loaded 168 SMKs.

Second two groups with a fairly random load of IMR 4895 under a Nosler 168 Custom Comp again at 100yds

Final group is a 300yd group shot with Nosler 155gn Custom Comps over Varget. Measured 1.65" center to center.

I am also waiting on midwayusa to get more of the 20" threaded .308 barrels in stock. Midwayusa says should be in stock 11/09/12. I hunt in the woods alot and think the shorter barrel will help in moveing around. And as long as it shoots 1 moa or better i will be happy. Sad thing is I have less than 20 rounds in my new 308 10fxp. But a guy wants what he wants though.
    [I]Bowers 2123[/I][COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][SIZE=4][/SIZE]

helotaxi
    The barrel is heavy. Just so you're not surpirsed when it shows up. My rifle isn't something that I want to be humping all over creation as it's well over 10#. If you want a stalking rifle, get a sporter weight barrel and have it cut down by a 'smith to 20".

yeah. im wanting a heavy barrel.the weight dont bother me. m

helotaxi
    Ok, it's you carrying it.

yeah. but luckily i dont have to pack it far when i hunt. 500 yards at the most. i live way back in the sticks.

I love mine! It's shoots great with factory match loads. Will be hand loading over the winter for it. You just cannot beat the price for what you get!!

rc109a
    I guess I will see if it actually comes in on time. I placed an order and it has already moved to 11/18/12 as expected in stock date. Hope it shoots good...

Basic Member
    i to have one on order and now they are saying 3/12/2013!

3rdgeargrndrr
    sorry, but what is the OD at the muzzle? (just prior to the threads) want to make sure the brake i order will be flush, thanks in advnace

rc109a
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred94 View Post
    i to have one on order and now they are saying 3/12/2013!
    I just seen that. Why do they even show it on their web page if it is that far out? This makes no sense.

Macrosill
    Midway has been changing the expected date for almost 1 year now. I have been trying to get a barrel kit for my 110 and it is never available. I sent an email to ER Shaw directly last week and have still not heard back. Are they still in business? I guess I am going to have to get something other than an ER Shaw barrel.

rc109a
    Now the date is December 15, 2012

Basic Member
    A word about E.R. Shaw.....
    I have one of their barrels in .243 that I got from a GunShack group buy on here. It is great, shoots extremely well, and arrived in the timeframe expected. I have another one I ordered in 6.5 Creedmoor for a build I was planning for this deer season. The expected delivery date was June 2012, and it still is not here. The owner of GunShack that puts these group buys together and purchases quite a few barrels from Shaw can't even get them to respond or tell him when to expect the shipments. They make really good barrels at a great price, but it seems that they are way, WAY behind in their production, and or severely understaffed. I heard that they got a huge AR15 barrel contract this year and that has taken the bulk of their resorces and manpower.....don't know if that's true or not. No telling when we will get our barrels.