Thread: Starting on my lightweight LA Savage build.

nsaqam

Starting on my lightweight LA Savage build.

Just getting going on my lightweight LH LA Savage build and wanted to share my plans.

I'm starting with my old .473" SF 111 action. It already has a 5/8" Stockade bolt handle on it and one of the very rare 100% titanium Speedlock FP's David Tubb made for a very short time. It also has a very sweet stoned and honed two screw trigger which will remain.

The barrel will be a SS, 6mm, 8 twist, 5R rifled Rock I picked up cheap on eBay. Sending it to Rock to get recontoured to their #2 Sporter contour. They only charge $40 for the recontour. I'll then send the barrel to my gunsmith to be threaded nutless, cut and crowned at 24" and chambered for the 6mm-06 or possibly the 6mm-06AI. Was going to do the threading and chambering myself but my 'smith shot me a very nice price so I'll let him do it.

I'll use a SSS recoil lug.

The stock will be a McMillan Hunter's EDGE ordered from Rick Bin. Blind mag, 1/2" Pachmayr pad, and inletted for a 700 ADL TG. Excited to try my first EDGE. Debating whether to have SS sling swivels installed as I'll likely never put a sling on it.

I'll scope it with the 3-9x33 Leupold VX-2 Ultralight in Talley LW mounts.

Hoping it comes in well under 7.5 pounds all up.

Kinda fun conceptualizing the rifle build and getting the project underway.

Ahhh the start of a dream rifle. Thats what makes this a great hobby. You can dream and build a rifle anyway YOU see fit. Your build sounds good to me!

Basic Member
    Sounds interesting. What will it be used for, since "no sling will ever be attached"? Also, why nutless? I guess you plan on never swapping on another barrel in the future?

Will the stock inletted for the 700 work on a Savage, or do you have some fitting to do once you get it?

Sounds like a great antelope/deer rifle.

nsaqam
    The stock will be inletted for my Savage action with a SSS recoil lug and a Rock #2 sporter contour barrel. Only the bottom will be inletted for an aluminum Remington 700 ADL trigger guard. The stock Savage TG doesn't work well with the lines of a McMillan stock but the 700 ADL one works perfectly.

That right there is one of the amazing things about a McMillan stock. You can get them however you desire.

Barrel swapping is super easy with a nutless barrel. Easier in fact than with a nutted barrel since there is no need for GO/NO-GO gauges.

As for the sling, I find that a lightweight rifle tends to stay in my hands at all times so a sling just adds weight and really serves no purpose for my hunting style.

The rifle will be used for anything up to and including Moose or Elk but mainly it'll be used for Whitetail.

M.O.A.
    sounds like a real nice gun would hope to see pics

cgeorgemo
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam View Post
    As for the sling, I find that a lightweight rifle tends to stay in my hands at all times so a sling just adds weight and really serves no purpose for my hunting style.
    I don't much use a sling while I'm hunting either but sometimes when I'm getting to where I hunt I need the sling. Got a couple of steep creek banks to get across.
    I have to drag my kills out to the road and use my sling then also.

Really looking forward to seeing this build when you get it done. Especially with the shouldered barrel and Remington trigger guard.

thomae
    Nice concept.
    I might do it a little differently, but can't fault you for your own druthers.
    Have you thought about flush-mount detachable sling swivels?
    (Something similar to: http://www.unclemikes.com/products/p...e_swivels.html)
    I use my sling, wrapping my arm through it to pull the rifle in tightly and stabilize my shot, especially when shooting offhand.

I am curious (not critical) as to why you choose a 24" barrel on such a lightweight rifle? The extra length adds weight and I don't think you would lose too much capability if you made it a 20-22" barrel. I am sure you have your good reasons, and I am interested in hearing them. (Maybe I can learn something! )

Let us know how it goes as it progresses, and, of course, you WILL post photos, I hope.

nsaqam
    With a slim (.575" @ 24") I prefer the balance afforded by a 24" barrel. I also prefer a 24" barrel on nearly all my .473" rifles for the ballistic advantage. Magnums get 26" tubes.
    Even if this rifle comes in at 7.25 pounds I'm concerned with whether I'll enjoy carrying it since my favorite rifle weighs 6 pounds 1.7 ounces all up.

No sling on that 6 lb rifle and no swivel studs either. For the hunting style I've adopted there is no time to sling up and if the rifle is on my shoulder I can kiss any chance of success goodbye.

I will post photos and although I'm fast-tracking this build it'll still be four months or so to completion.

You'll love the Edge stock at 22oz it is amazingly light. I have one inletted for M70 #3 Shilen contour and PT&G one piece bottom metal. I have the stock, donor action, and aluminum bottom metal, just need to buy a barrel and scope (Leupold 2.5-8X36 VX3) and I should have a .338-08 that will weigh in at 8 to 8.25 lbs all up.

nsaqam
    Yeah, I'm excited about the EDGE.

Here are my weight calculations.

Action with screws and STEEL TG 35 ounces measured. May save an ounce with an aluminum 700 TG.
    EDGE stock 22 ounces estimated.
    Rock #2 sporter 6mm barrel 24" 48 ounces estimated and possibly as light as 40 ounces.
    VX-2 Ultralight with Talley LW's 11 ounces measured.

Total weight unloaded 116 ounces or 7 pounds 4 ounces. Possibly as light as 6 pounds 11 ounces depending on the barrel weight.

If I can keep this under 7 pounds I'll be freaking ecstatic!

Still not as light as my Kimber at 6 pounds 1.7 ounces but this will be a 24" tubed long action as opposed to a 22" short action.

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam View Post

Still not as light as my Kimber at 6 pounds 1.7 ounces but this will be a 24" tubed long action as opposed to a 22" short action.
    It won't recoil as lightly as your Kimber either, man wish that thing wasn't a lefty I'd be trying to pry it from your hands.

nsaqam
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    It won't recoil as lightly as your Kimber either, man wish that thing wasn't a lefty I'd be trying to pry it from your hands.
    Several lefties ARE trying to pry the Kimber out of my hands but even though I'm an inveterate gun churner that Kimber is staying right here!
    Got some good data on the 6x47 last Saturday if you'd like to see it drop me a PM here or on 24HCF.