Thread: which to use Flat Base or Boat Tail

acemisser

which to use Flat Base or Boat Tail

This 22 250 is giving me fits as far as load developement...I have been usingnothing
    but the 55 grain v max and some look good and some bad.All shooting at 200 yards.

Is there a possibility,that the boat tails would be more better to use? I had one guy
    at the range tell me he had a 30 06 that would not shoot a flat base worth a darn
    but the boat tails were real accurate....So what do you think....And befor we get into
    it the scope is fine as well as the bases..Another thing I wondered about was useing
    the lead sled type of rest might be causing error do the the butt setting in the back rest..
    I use it to help elemanate any human erroe..But maybe I should be using the regular
    rear bag..

davemuzz
    It may not be the base (flat vs. BT). When I loaded for the 22-250, I found (through personal load development and a lot of internet reading) the Sierra 52gr. HPBT (Yes, it is a boat tail) gave the best results. I believe I loaded 'em over Varget.

I would not recommend the use of the lead sled. That device doesn't let your rifle give the barrel it's true harmonics because it's to restrictive. (MHO) Just make sure you have a solid front rest, and the same for the rest on the back. If your buttstock is not resting on a solid sandbag, or leather bean-bag, then your groups will open up...or not be consistent.

Dave

skypilot
    "Conventional wisdom" says use FB inside 300 yds. and BT out past 300 yds. I assume the "wisdom" is behind the fact that FB bullets are a less complex design and easier to manufacture, therefore more consistent. However, I like the target to tell me what the gun likes.

I've never been conventional, and try(as Dave mentioned) load developing to determine the accuracy node. I use a Harris Bipod with no rear bag, a Hyscore Dangerous Game remote fired hydraulic sled and a Caldwell DFT sled to load develop.

I would try a lighter bullet like a box of factory loaded Federal V Shock 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I believe it is a flat base and may give you an idea if it's the ammo/bullet weight or gun.

John_M
    acemisser, I didn't notice your mentioning the twist rate of the barrel. After reading skypilot's last sentence I had this thought: If the twist is 1:9 or faster, perhaps a heavier bullet might be an interesting experiment.

82boy
    Use what works dont mind if it is a flat back or a boat tail. Get away from 55 gr bullets, I have only seen one barrel that did well with this weight of bullet. Try some 52gr SMK's. I have never found a 22/250 that did not shoot them at top knoth accuracy. push them bullets with some 4895 and you will find a good laod.

acemisser
    I appreciate all your replies......The twist in this barrel is 1 in 12

Dave--Your comments about the barrel harmonics makes a lot of sense...That is why I ask about useing this
    rifle rest..I do think it causes some wierd things to be happening...Tomorrow if time permits,I am goiong to
    load a few and if I aint working on Wed.maybe go to the range and use my regular rest,front and rear..
    This will tell if it was the rifle rest or not...Another thing I was wondering about was if these 55 v max should
    be touching the lands or be better if they are seated deeper...
    And I do have some 52 gr SMK'S as well...So I will try a few of them as well.....Thanks again for your replies...John

rusty815
    Flat base or boat tail doesnt matter, you won't know until you try something whether or not your rifle likes em. The Sierra 52gr. HPBT is hard to be imo.

The 52 sierra shoots really good but my groups have improved with the 52 Berger flat base. Every 22 Cal I own loves this bullet even the mini 14 will print a five shot group under an inch with this bullet and IMR 4064 powder.

Tarleton_Texan
    I have also heard about the 300 yard theory but I am not so sure of it. I have shot a number of different bullets out of my .223 model 12 including 52 grain FB bergers and the 52 grain A-MAX and the groups at 100 yards was less than 1/2 moa. My opinion the A-MAX is a great bullet and so is the berger and either one would be a good choice for your application.

leo158
    Sierra works in my gun also. Does not like hornady at all. got my 22-250 rifle shooting .5 or better. The 204 likes berger 35 gr and shooting .5 or better also. It does not like hornady either. The 35s are flat base and I am under 2 inch groups at 351 yrds with those as with the sierra boattails for the 22-250.

Leonardo63
    My 22-250 AI shoots SMK's real nice, one of my favorites for groups. Does nasty things to chucks as well.

Basic Member
    I have been doing to load development lately with sierra 55gr blitzkings, boatail design, and they have outshot the hornady 55gr vmaxes in all 3 rifles I have tried them in. I shoot mostly at 200 yards also since thats where the shade tree is at on my shooting range.

Mike

One of my pet loads is approx 35.0 of ww748 with a remington 50 grain plhp.Naturally you will have to work up to 35 to make **** sure it isnt too hot for your rifle. The plhps appear crude in form but they really fly well.My tightest groups are the result of using this load in 2 different rifles.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

JCalhoun
    The flat base is popular among short range BR shooters.
    Last edited by JCalhoun; 09-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    The flat base is popular among short BR shooters.
    Not as much any more, many BR shooters are shooting boat tailed bullets nowadays. They work great.
    I have Hottenstine, Cheek, and Bruno OO in boat tails, and these are all very populare bullets in the short range BR game.