Thread: Moving a scope more than the bases will let you.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Moving a scope more than the bases will let you.

As those of you with Vortex scopes know, sometimes you have to get up close & personal to see thru it. I have my Viper mounted on a .243 & I can't get close enough to see correctly and I can't move the scope back either.

Is there an extended base I can get from any of the suppliers that I won't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford?

I looked thru the Midway website but I'm not 100% sure on what it is exactly that I need.

Can one of resident scope, ring & base gurus enlighten me?

Thanks.

Frank "Eagle Eye" in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

nsaqam
    The Weaver #402 base is the extended base for the front of a Savage 10/110.

An EGW Picatinny rail, or any Pic rail for that matter will allow you to move the scope back as far as you'd like.

Basic Member
    If I use a pic rail, can I use regular rings? I have Weaver Tac rings now and they're new. I'd rather not have to buy new ones. Also, with an extended base or a pic rail, can I get about an inch more toward the rear of the action?

Thanks

Frank in Fla

nsaqam
    Yes on the rings and with a Pic rail you can get an inch. The #402 Weaver base will get you close to an inch.

Basic Member
    Story of my life..... Always short an inch. Life is soooooo cruel.

Thanks my brother of the proverbial switch barrel thunderstick. if I can gat an inch closer to the scope, I won't need to see my chiropractor after a day at the range, to get my neck adjusted.

I reckon I'll look up some info.

Frank in Fla

seanhagerty
    Frank,

If you get an EGW rail, go ahead and get the MOA. Never know when you are gonna want to reach out there a bit further.....

Sean

davemuzz
    So.....your gonna reach out 'n touch being an inch short? Don't post any pics.

skypilot
    Frank, just a heads up. Some times I've run into the same and have used the Pic/Weaver rail and got into the same fix. See photo and notice the scope is as far back as it can go due to Obj. bell almost touching.
    So you can end up no better off as far as cheekweld. If I run into this I modify(cut) the base back enough to allow the bell/scope to move back. Does that make sense or did I muddy the swamp water?

By the way I borrowed the pic of the internet, so it's not mine or my gun, etc.

Wow,Sorry I'm having trouble getting pic to post correctly
    Last edited by skypilot; 08-06-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Basic Member
    Here is a pic of mine i had to cut back.

It was cut off for a different scope then put the Sightron on and as you can see it has ample room. The tar papered room in the background is my reloading room.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    Frank,

If you get an EGW rail, go ahead and get the MOA. Never know when you are gonna want to reach out there a bit further.....

Sean
    been there, done that mistake!! Could no longer get a 100yd zero after I tipped the scope!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Ok..... it's as clear as mud & as smooth as Russian burlap.

No, all kidding aside, I got it. I don't have a lot of background with pic rails & such. In the past the scope was where it needed to be but that's not the case with Vortex. Just one more inch & it would be OK.

I'll do a little browsing to see what's available. I'd like to stay with something that looks like it belongs there & not too bulky. I'll figure it out from here. My biggest concern was rings. I wasn't quite sure if rails used standard rings especially since I went out of my way to find the Weavers I wanted. The Tactical / Skelton rings look good & work even better. I wanted to be able to stay with them. The fact that I have 6 pair in assorted heights & diameters may have a little something to do with it, too.

Thanks for everyone input.

Frank in Fla

This is pretty much why I run rails on all my personal rifles, and when possible will run one on review guns as well. Today's short scopes almost make it a necessity - not only to get the eye relief right, but also because the ring spacing on most all long actions will be to far apart with standard Weaver or dovetail bases. You simply need the ring placement flexibility afforded to you by a rail to work with todays optics.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

375Win
    DNZ mounts will give you more room to move the scope back. The rings are narrow and set at the back of the front reciever ring.

I needed them for this very short scope.