Thread: Savage 12 VLP DBM in 204 (mag/stock questions)

EAW

Savage 12 VLP DBM in 204 (mag/stock questions)

I'm looking at picking up a Savage 12 VLP DBM in 204... The Savage website says this has a detachable box mag. I'm assuming this has a 4 round capacity? Are there any Savage brand or aftermarket brand mags with say a 10 round capacity?

My only complain with the Savage 12 VLP DBM is the weight. What are my options to reduce weight? I am willing to buy a new stock. However I'm not sure if I have the skills to do complicated swap/mod. Looking for something that is a perfect drop in fit. Price of a new stock, I'd like to keep it around 300. I'll go 500 if it looks totally awesome and will result in even better groupings.

My apologies if this question is in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance.

Cuzza

Re: Savage 12 VLP DBM in 204 (mag/stock questions)

Hi mate, I own a left handed one of these and would also like to know if there are any lefthanded stock options, and also what to do about the ridiculously heavy accutrigger, i need to get it lightened up!

EAW
    Welp, got side tracked and increased my shotgun collection rather than getting a new varmint rifle. Going to bite the bullet and attempt to order one of these at the end of the month. I say attempt because my favorite shop couldn't find one when they checked they're distributors last month. For now I'm not going to screw around with changing out the stock. In fact since most our varmint shooting is from the back of a pickup bed, or in a comfortable hide overlooking several rather large hayfields I'm just going to live with for the foreseeable future. On the other hand I have found a way to increase the mag size to 10 rounds. Basically a new bottom metal is installed and you are then able to use AI 223 mags.

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

CDI has gotten several excellent reviews for installing new bottom metals for a number of different brands of guns. Cost seems reasonable.
    Last edited by EAW; 08-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.