Thread: WSM conversion

MAGNUS

WSM conversion

Can anyone clarify if i can take a standard short repeating savage action (accu trigger model) and convert it to a 270 wsm.

If so what do i need to aquire to do so eg ....bolt...

Thanks in advance and sorry for a repeat question.

Basic Member

Re: WSM conversion

I'm pretty new to this:

But what I understand is that in the begining, Savage installed short mag barrels on standard shank receivers.

But fairly early on, they switched and installed them on large shanked ones.

So from a numbers stand point it would be much more common to find barrels a WSM caliber with a large shank.

A custom barrel would of course be a game changer, but is it worth the cost?

I'd run this by Northlander etc in a PM and get the best info.

Regards

Three 44s

sinman

You need a magnum bolt head and a wsm mag. You can take a large shank barrel and make it small shank very easily so the shank size isn't a problem.

MAGNUS

Thank you Sinman i wasnt sure about the barrel shank.

Does the larger barrel shank offer more "meat" around chamber for the WSM, was that the idea of 2 sizes?

Being that my Savage has an internal mag does that still apply that i need a new one?

sinman

Ya there is more barrel meat but less reciever meat. The standard shank is the same size as a remington and they chamber those in wsm and ultra mags. Savage has 3 different boxes for the short action. standard 308, wsm, and 223.

MAGNUS

So where do i get the internal magazine replacements for WSM or SAUM cases?

you need a magnum bolt head, BUT there is a catch! short actions use a different bolt head then long actions. it is shorter then the long action bolt head. Next WSMs when built by savage were on the controlled round feed system. they used a fixed ejector the was attached to the receiver and passed through a slot in the bolt head. the magnum bolt head for long actions is push feed and uses a built in spring ejector. so what you need to do is modafy a long action mag bolt heat for your short action.

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savagebolt009.jpg[/img]

short action , long action, mag modified for short action.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

MAGNUS

Why dont i just buy a whole new "lefty" WSM bolt to suit my short action?

And while im at it get some of those detachable mags and floor plates from midway!

I can do that right?

mwilson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    you need a magnum bolt head, BUT there is a catch! short actions use a different bolt head then long actions. it is shorter then the long action bolt head. Next WSMs when built by savage were on the controlled round feed system. they used a fixed ejector the was attached to the receiver and passed through a slot in the bolt head. the magnum bolt head for long actions is push feed and uses a built in spring ejector. so what you need to do is modafy a long action mag bolt heat for your short action.

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savagebolt009.jpg[/img]

short action , long action, mag modified for short action.
    if i am seeing this correctly the bolt head is just shortened to the same length as the short bolt. is that the only modification?

that is all that you need to do. you will notice the lug is thicker , so the fireing pin needs to be re-adjusted or have a second pin if you change a lot.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

MAGNUS

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNUS
    Why dont i just buy a whole new "lefty" WSM bolt to suit my short action?

And while im at it get some of those detachable mags and floor plates from midway!

I can do that right?
    This can be done instead right, i dont have to go the bolt head modification route do i ?

what are you going to do for an ejector?

MAGNUS

Obviously ill need one from some where as im now guessing they dont come with one....