Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 9.3x62 Euro model.

officejet

Savage 9.3x62 Euro model.

For some reason 6 of these were left in the USA, 3 in 8x57, 3 in 9.3x62. 20" bbl, fiber optic sights and detach center feed magazine.

I bought one of the 9.3s. It came like this:

As you can see safety is a big deal in Europe on their driven hunts.

I felt Savage made a good start with the Treebark blaze stock but the black parkerized metal didn't cut it for me.

I found a Tru-Tree blaze DIY kit that has the same orange as Realtree, although the dip is a bit darker and has more "branches" than Realtree.
    Still a great improvement.

Since ungulates are color blind, the color is no real issue and the 9.3 can handle anything that lives in Wyoming for sure.

Re: Savage 9.3x62 Euro model.

congrats, orange! wow,
    shot it and tell us how is shots,
    I saw em on GB, ended up with a cz.
    looks like it is a dbm
    newbie from gr, mi.

fivesomewhere

It's cool, just like my KTM exc 200.

mstarling

9,3x62 and 9,3x74R are both very effective chamberings and will indeed handle anything where you live. I have a VZ.24 and a CZ 550 American in 9,3x62. Love'm! Both have been to Africa.

The orange is just a bit much!

officejet

The orange is a bit much. That's the whole point. Something to do with safety on driven hunts in Europe.
    Heck, over here, in many states (thankfully not Wyoming) you have to be covered head to toe in Orange to avoid being shot by some idiot.
    I don't really think a matte finished rifle, regardless of color, will have the slightest impact on hunting success.
    It is far less visiable to game, on a sunny day, than a lot of my gloss finished stock, polished blue rifles like this old girl.

Remington 721B, 30-06, Unertl Hawk. (bone stock except for refinished wood)

taos

Do you think savage could be conned into making a 9.3 chambering for the U.S. market?
    I had a rifle chambered to that years ago, great bear snd moose whacker! Would love to have another.

Poor Larry, can't find one forum that likes your orange piece of junk can ya.

Jim, trust me, boot this troll now.

You can check out alot of his handywork on the 24 under about 40 different names, his newest is interthem.
    Savage- "never say never".

ellobo

Why the 9.3 when we have the .35 Whelen? none chambered by Savage but easily converted from any 30-06 type bolt head. Thats all it took for mine. Whats the matter with a 250 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS? Not much on this continent it cant handle, even big bears. Ammo is available or easlily made from 30-06 brass. And mine shoots sub MOA with cheap Reminton green box. The barrel is not skinney, probaably why it is that accurate.
    El Lobo

Eric in NC

Well the 9.3x62 is on the 06way case too. Just more of a good thing. I skipped it and went 375-06 ai for even more fun but the 9.3has good factory loads.

Team Savage

i wouldnt mind one in 8x57

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by pighunter284
    i wouldnt mind one in 8x57
    +1

efw

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Why the 9.3 when we have the .35 Whelen?
    If low-BC/SD 250 gr is good, better BC/SD 286 gr is mo betta!

I'd love a 9.3x62, personally, and would take it or the 338-06 (much better bullet selection) over the Whelen, personally. Obviously YMMV...

Larry, I like Savages, but that thing is hideous...

nsaqam

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog

You can check out alot of his handywork on the 24 under about 40 different names, his newest is interthem.
    +1000

efw

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog

+1000
    +1001

Basic Member

I never bought into the hype of the better BC on the heavier .366 offering (that is the only difference - what companies make and sell in the states) over that offered in .358 for the 9.3x62 vs 35 whelen.

Both are probably getting to the point of being capacity challenged at the 250 - 286 gr level to be considered a long range cartrige where any BC benefit would ever be noticed. And if shooting a critter that NEEDS the extra 36 gr of bullet (they would never notice the extra .008 diameter) then you need some more horsepower to go with it. Bring the 9.3x64 to the table however, and ...

They both work, and most people chose one of the other based on nostalgic criteria rather than true shortcomings of one or the other.

BTW, I have the whelen, but never do I bash the earlier euro equivalent. I dont think it evolved out of the 30-06, maybe the evolutionary flow was going the opposite direction at that time.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

ellobo

All this seems moot when you have the .375 Ruger that fits in a 30-06 length magazine for those that want .375 H&H power in a standard magazine length rifle. I don't feel undergunned for any large animals including bears with the .35 Whelen. And I have 2 chances of ever seeing an Alaskan brown bear, Slim and none. And Slim left for Texas yesterday.

El Lobo

defoxer

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    Well the 9.3x62 is on the 06way case too.....
    Not really, different rim diam, thickness etc.... but they are effectively interchangeable; can form -06 into 9.3 brass(maybe whelen pref.)

....as far as those chambering go, I nearly fell off my seat, Sav are really chambering for 8x57 and 9.3 ?? thats crazy, good type of crazy, those rounds are awesome hunting rounds, I could leave the milsurp 8mm home and take something a bit more modern (I know, many of the current rifles ARE mauser actions...)

defoxer

All this seems moot when you have the .375 Ruger that fits in a 30-06 length magazine for those that want .375 H&H power in a standard magazine length rifle. I don't feel undergunned for any large animals including bears with the .35 Whelen. And I have 2 chances of ever seeing an Alaskan brown bear, Slim and none. And Slim left for Texas yesterday.

El Lobo
    maybe the 375ruger was moot, given that the 366 (9.3x62) had been an effective round and in use for a century or so just as the 375H&H had... and considering the standard length 110 action is sized for the H&H length..

ellobo

I am not questioning the effectiveness of those old cartridges or thier historical significance. I just meant to point out that a more modern cartridge is available with better availablility of ammo. If you prefer them by all means get or make one.

El Lobo

defoxer

I am not questioning the effectiveness of those old cartridges or thier historical significance. I just meant to point out that a more modern cartridge is available with better availablility of ammo. If you prefer them by all means get or make one.

El Lobo
    neither am i questioning that of the ruger, hell, I even considered chambering for it - which is a great concept for a standard (06) length action. most of the recent new/newish chamberings are solutions for problems that didnt really exist....
    Take the 9.3; is as effective as you can get in a larger bore, say 35cal plus, however it never caught on in the USA, been used for generations to down larger deer, antelopes moose, scratchy bitey stuff as well...in other part, I suspect it might be the two letters 'mm'.. ;D

mstarling

I think the 9,3x62 is a GREAT chambering. The coloration of the production Savage is bit beyond the pale for me.

Rifles in the chambering are light and handy ... easy to carry all day. Recoil and muzzle jump is only moderate. Mine are accurate. They kill like the Hammer of Thor.

The 9,3x62 is WAAYYY more effective than the ballistics would suggest. I have taken deer and hogs in the US with it ... all DRTs. In Africa I've killed Impala, Warthog, Bush Pig, Reedbock, Kudu, Blue Wildebeast, and Zebra with it. Only the Kudu was not a DRT.

Makes for an ideal rifle for moderate ranges for use in areas where you might run into something than might want to eat you.

ellobo

I built the .35 Whelen for two reasons, nostalgia being one and the possibilty of getting a moose permit. Long range possibilities never entered the equation. I was mightily surprised when my first shots at 100 yd's were 1 MOA with cheap green box Reminton 250gr. Since then I have worked up some nice loads with 200 gr. and 225 gr. bullets at much higher velocities than the 250 gr. I havnt tested them beyond 100 yds yet. If I were to be able to hunt really large animals like moose, elk etc. I would not feel undergunned nor would I worry about distance to target. By the way, moose are not tough to kill, many are taken here in NH with .308 type cartridges. And the barrel is an Adams and Bennett I got from Midway on sale for $ 89.95.
    El Lobo

officejet

Finally got cases (privi). dies (Lyman off Amazon) and some cast bullets (220 gr RN GC). Loaded some up with 10 gr of Trailboss to shoot on our 25 yard indoor range. BUT even with the center stack magazine, they won't feed. They come out of the magazine part way and then hang up on (apparently_ the chamber's top. If I withdraw the bolt a bit, they fall level and chamber just fine. Got a feeling that spitzers would work fine (no proof).
    Thoughts? Advice ? Thanks.

officejet

A bit more info.
    Put in 3 and two feed fine, third tips and jams. put in two, one feeds, second jams, put in one...jams.

I'm suspecting the magazine spring isn't under as much tension with one round and fails to "pop up" the cartridge.(not CRF of course)

Any experience/advice appreciated.

officejet

Problem solved. Spoke with a 1911 tuner and he said just bend the front of lips out so little that you can see no change. Also remove and lube the spring. Problem solved, now feeds perfectly with fastest bolt cycle. Even loaded up a dummy with a 286 gr Privi RN jacketed SP. Apparently Savage does NOT function test rifles before shipment. The old rule about testing every round for feed and function before going on the hunt still applies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast