Thread: Full size or Neck size for accuracy ??

acemisser

Full size or Neck size for accuracy ??

As I mentioned in one of my other post...I think my rifle is a bit more accurate
    with full length sized brass....I know it works the brass more,but I anneal
    every second fireing..
    As anyone else foound this to be true with your rifle as well?
    I know the neck sizing is faster and more easy,but my rifle tells me the way to go..

nsaqam
    What neck sizer are you using?

Neck size, definitely, at least with Lee dies.
    You anneal every 2 rounds??!!! Holy crap batman! I'll take NOT that for $800, Alex....

Neck sizing my 308, I'm on load # 40-something with no annealing; still MOA at 1K.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

nsaqam
    That's why I asked him what neck dies he's using.

Doubt seriously they're LCDs.

acemisser
    My neck die for these 22 250's is one of Lee collet dies....But I do aneall every 2nd time..I know some who aneall every loading.

But seriously my savage mod 10 does seems more accurate with the full length size for some reason...Bu then again it could be

the 50 gr. v max bullets...I don't know....

skypilot
    I necksize until I have to FL resize with no difference in accuracy.

acemisser
    thanks skypie

nsaqam
    That really surprises me that you're using the LCD and not getting results.

It perplexes me that you anneal so often.

I never anneal with the LCD and have never had a split neck.

davemuzz
    Anneal after every 2nd firing? WOW!!! There's not enough propane on the planet for that!!! I anneal after every case neck split, or when I have to drill a stuck case out of my die. (Kidding.....but I honestly don't anneal until ten or better reloads)

I set back the shoulder with a properly adjusted Redding body die. Then I use a Lee F\L die adjusted for neck sizing only without the ball sizer. I turn the neck brass so that I get a good uniform neck tension from each piece of brass.

This seems to work well.

FWIW

Dave

acemisser
    Well,I suppose I do not have to anneal that often..I am going by what a top shooter does. Even thought I have not
    received any benifit that I can see....I am haveing a terrible time trying to get this 22 250 to shoot worth a ****..

I am starting to think I should be using boat tail bullets instead of the flat base v max 55 grainers...I have heard
    there are some rifles that just will not shoot the flat base bullets...Plus I have been trying to do my load testing
    with one of those rifle rest things you lay the rifle in a it has screw adjustments for up and down,etc...Like one of those
    lead sleds...Maybe this is not a good way to go about it do to the muzzle jump,etc..I am open to ideas here to get this
    darn thing shootin..I did put it in a bell-carlson stock and it seemed to fit good with no bedding needed..But I am far from
    a gun smith...I am at a loose here on what to do..So tell me your thoughts...Thanks

skypilot
    I'm not sure of your details but I only use the 55 Vmax up to 250 yds, 300 in a pinch with a .223. If there is much wind I keep a mag of 69gr or 75 gr for 250+.

davemuzz
    Ace,

I just posted this on another thread....but when I had a 22-250, I found it to be kind of finicky to load for. What I finally got to work very well, (and I found this load\bullet on the net from an article) was the Sierra 52gr. BTHP over Varget. I can't recall the charge weight of Varget, but I believe it was at or near the max. If you go this route, start a few grains under the max and work up.

Even though this bullet is a "target" bullet, I found it whacked groundhogs with no problems at all.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    Well,I suppose I do not have to anneal that often..I am going by what a top shooter does. Even thought I have not
    received any benifit that I can see....
    "top shooters" are a terribly superstitious bunch... Had a college roommate that played football, didn't wash his jersey. Do you think THAT was why he played well????

How large of a jump do your bullets have? PERSONALLY load development is monumentally more important than specific components. My 10FP has a LLLOOOONNNGGG throat, factory ammo doesn't shoot particularly well. Pull it apart, and seat the bullet closer, re-assemble and things get tasty.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

82boy
    You may want to try the search feature, this discusion has been brought up many times in the past.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...+sizing+sizing

Unfortunately a lot of great information was lost when the system changed over. I been flamed many times over for saying this, throw the neck sizing dies away. A PROPERLY set up FL die will always out preform a neck sizing die. Brass life will be longer on the FL die, and the brass will be more accurate. Dont believe me, go to a registered benchrest match and see how many competitive shooters are neck sizing brass. Read Mike Ratigan and/or Tony Boyers books and see what they recamend. Anealing brass after two firings is a bit much, I hardly ever anneal my brass, and it shoots well, and last a long time. What happens to brass, is that it gets thick at the bottoms, (Where no die can size.) and causes a "click" at the top of the bolt lift, when this happens I throw away brass, as it is impossible to get rid of it. This "click" will come in MUCH faster of neck sized only brass. (My experince is it comes in after 3 or 4 firings.) No anealing process will remove this "click" it is just done from there. If you have a PROPERLY set up FL die, this click will not show up untill after 30+ firings.

acemisser
    thank for all the replies..It gives me more to consider...I will be trying a few more loads and try to post the
    results as I go along..John

On my Savage 111 in 7mm mag and my AXIS .223 I did a test one time for accuracy between the two dies. I too found the FL die out preformed the LCD on both rifles. I was surprised and have been torn to FL or LCD my brass. I do not anneal any brass. If it shows signs of fatigue I toss it.

Just my LATE 2¢

acemisser
    I did a few test loads today with my 308 at 250 yards with the 175 gr SMK bullet..

Same case-powder weight-oal-primer-etc 10 with neck sized and 10 full length

sized...The results was amazing..I wish I had taken pictures to post,

The NECK sized group was about 4 inch's and the full length sized was close to 1 1/2 inch
    So no neck sizeing for me--I think it is bull....Or atleast so in my rifle's... Found the same
    with my 22-250 and brass life is still pretty good......John

supergolfer18
    yeah too bad no photos!!! Anyone else that has done a comparison that has photos?

Acemisser: what FL die are you using? I was thinking about getting a new die set but then I thought about just using what I have but now it has me thinking again. Although my rifle is shooting 0.1 MOA @100 yards right now with some loads when I do my part using LCD and Lee seating die

davemuzz
    IMHO, I have found that Redding are my favorite....followed by RCBS. I don't own any Forester dies....but those that do say they are also a great product.

FWIW

Dave

acemisser
    I use RCBS dies and the Lee collet die for neck sizing.But I guess I aint gonna neck size any more.....I will see if I can find that target I shot...