Thread: How much of a load do you use when seating into the lands?

acemisser

How much of a load do you use when seating into the lands?

Been reloding for a while,but have not played with loads having the bullet into the lands much.

How does one go about finding the powder charge for seating the bullet into the lands..I mean
    actually touching the lands....Thought maybe this would increase the accuracy of my rifle.

I will be using the Hornady 55 grain v max,as I have a lot of these bullets...And probably
    use H=380 as well...Maybe H4895 or Varget....Thanks

Team Savage
    You've basically are changing the parameters of your load, so I always go with the assumption that I am working up a new load. So I back off my current load by a minimum of 1.0 grain and work back up until I reach max while looking for an accuracy node and pressure signs with the bullets touching the lands.

nsaqam
    I start my load development with the bullet right on the lands and work up the load until I see pressure.
    Usually that's where I end load development too but if the results at top speed with the bullet on the lands aren't satisfactory (rarely) then I already know my max charge and I only have one direction to go with bullet seating, deeper.
    Makes it simple to not have to mess with powder charges and to go in one direction with bullet seating.

Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam View Post
    I start my load development with the bullet right on the lands and work up the load until I see pressure.
    Usually that's where I end load development too but if the results at top speed with the bullet on the lands aren't satisfactory (rarely) then I already know my max charge and I only have one direction to go with bullet seating, deeper.
    Makes it simple to not have to mess with powder charges and to go in one direction with bullet seating.
    2 edged sword here, when you seat bullets deeper you decrease the effective case capacity raising pressures so while jamming a bullet raises pressures so does deeper seating. Just watch your velocity and pressure indicators and you'll be fine.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

nsaqam
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    2 edged sword here, when you seat bullets deeper you decrease the effective case capacity raising pressures so while jamming a bullet raises pressures so does deeper seating. Just watch your velocity and pressure indicators and you'll be fine.

Bob
    What you say is exactly as QuickLOAD predicts but some very knowledgeable people, including John Barsness, says that this is not the case and that by seating deeper you reduce pressure since you're effectively giving the bullet a bit of freebore.
    I intend to test this out when I get my Pressure Trace system up and running.
    I am very curious about the results of such a test.