Thread: I have a question

JimMc

I have a question

I have a Savage 12fvss in 22-250 caliber, with a 26" 1 in 12 twist barrell. I have been reloading rounds for this rifle in 55 grain hornady v-max from 34 to 39 grain of powder using H-280 or IMR 4064. Today I loaded 9 rounds of 50 grain v-max using 36, 35 and 34 grain of IMR 4064. The 36 grain rounds hit to the right if POA by 1/2" and were 1" apart. The 35 grain rounds hit 1/4 " to the left and were close enough to cover with a dime. These rounds were shot at a target 100 yards away. The 34 grain were used to kill a coyote approximately 250 yards away from where I had taken the shot.
    After returning to the reloading bench, I found the cases were measuring 1.912 to 1.917. I chambered a loose cased round and found the length of my chamber and shortened it .020. It was this set up that shot the best group in this rifle. My question, can I go ahead and shoot the longer cases without damage to the rifle or should I resize the case and and adjust the bullet seating?

fatdaddy

Re: I have a question

Hey Jim,
    I dont load for or own 22-250. I cant speak to how hot your loads are powder wise. But I have reload for years. The max case length for 22-250 is said to be 1.912...I would trim anything longer. I think if your shooting your reloads only, I would trim and FL resize a piece of brass and use that to set head space for my barrel. Then check with scotch tape to be sure your bolt wont close. This should get you the best "custom" head space for your gun and dies.Your brass should like it and last as long as possible. I feel shooting a longer than 1.912 brass in your gun after moving head space back .020, may lead to problems... Bill

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.