Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best press's

Team Savage

Re: Best press's

What you need to do is know ahead of time how long the chamber is on each rifle. Either buy or make a modified case for each claiber, check the actual length of the chambers so you'll know how long to set the bullets to the lands. And different designs will seat deeper in the chamber.
    By seating a bullet long, then closing the bolt on the case, you'll get different readings by using different bullets. You need to know where to start. .005 in or out of the case can change accuracy a bunch. You got to know where to start.
    Resize with one die. Switch to a seater die and seat the bullets. Same press but different dies. Get a good press, good dies, load a bunch of ammo and go shoot something. Whichever press or dies you get, get good stuff so it will last.
    If you're like the rest of us, you'll be adding more "stuff" before long. You can't have enough toys. ;D
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

What you need to do is know ahead of time how long the chamber is on each rifle. Either buy or make a modified case for each claiber, check the actual length of the chambers so you'll know how long to set the bullets to the lands. And different designs will seat deeper in the chamber.
    By seating a bullet long, then closing the bolt on the case, you'll get different readings by using different bullets. You need to know where to start. .005 in or out of the case can change accuracy a bunch. You got to know where to start.
    Resize with one die. Switch to a seater die and seat the bullets. Same press but different dies. Get a good press, good dies, load a bunch of ammo and go shoot something. Whichever press or dies you get, get good stuff so it will last.
    If you're like the rest of us, you'll be adding more "stuff" before long. You can't have enough toys.
    So with satating the above, should I go with a press that has interchangable turrents, one turrent for each gun-caliber, or still a single stage press and just change them? Once set, is it a pain to switch the dies and must you reset with each use?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

dcloco

+ another for the Forster Co Ax.

NO shell holders. Catches all of the spent primers. Has SUPERB mechanical advantage when full length sizing.

Team Savage

If you use a "single stage press" like a RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc, the lock nut on the die is set. You just screw the die down and snug it on the press. Change dies and snug it down also. You set the depth of the die with the lock nut. Loosen the lock nut to adjust the depth and go for it.
    And the only reason I didn't mention the Lee press is because I wore one out doing 7.62 brass for my M1A. I don't feel that they are as tough as a RCBS,ect. Other folks think they're great. YMMY. But I do use a Lee Auto Prime hand primer. I like the feel of the seated primer. I've worn out 3 or 4 of them but I keep using them. I replace them about once a year. They get a work out from me.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Sounds like the RCBS is about the most mentioned along with Forester.

I did look at a Hornady-lock-n-load kit today, again, NOTHING has ever been mentioned about Hornady!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Forester

Another good option that will work with the RCBS or Lee Classic Cast, is to take the center bushing out and replace it with a Hornady Lock-N-Load bushing. Then put a LNL bushing on each die, they swap out easy, make nice straight rounds if your dies are up to it and the adjustments are very repeatable.

That said, by the time you buy that many bushings...you could have just bought a Co-Ax and been done with it.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Single stage works best for me
    I have hear the above from several. The press's with turrets doesn't appeal to many that reload mainly rifle rounds!

Might get two single stage presses!!!

Interesting comments above on the digital scales.
    there is allot of truth to that. i got 2 550's, neither has loaded a round in about 10 months. i have 2 rcbs's mounted side by side, and a lee not to far away. they have all seen allot of activity in the last 10 months.

the 550's will get some use soon, my plinking ammo is gonna get replenished, i/e 9mm, 45acp, 223, etc. my precision ammo will still get done on my single stages....

BUT to answer your original question, allot of the serious players in the reloading game use none of the above. they are using arbor presses w/ dies that work on the principle of the lee hand held dies. i got schooled big time when i visited a veteran bench shooter and he had a small rcbs and an arbor press, his dies were all self contained, i/e no threaded dies or anything. it really opened up my eyes to what it takes to reload at the "next" level. he had more calibration tools and run out guages type stuff that i never even heard about.
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

kenbo776

Been using an RCBS Rockchucker for about 20 years now. Seem to hold up very well, and will be large and strong enough for anything I ever intend to load. I used to use a beam scale, but recently the electronic ones have become very affordable . Bought a Hornady GS-1500
    electronic scale couple months ago ( $50 ). Love it! It is not a high end scale but it seems to be very accurate for my purposes. I never load close to max anyway. But I have gotten some very impressive groups using this scale. Sub MOA at 100 yards, and 1 1/4 groups at 300 yards. I measure every load with scale since I only load maybe 50 or so rounds at a time. I do check calibration every so often and it never has been out. I plan on getting a more expensive scale later but for now I am very happy . But If anyone wants to buy me one of the Lyman or RBCS electronic scales for christmas I can provide you with my mailing address.

Joe O

http://www.harrellsprec.com/press.html

Take a look at this press for 7/8x14 dies.

Basic Member

Shouldn't a good press have hydraulic operation ?

Elkbane

Got my Forster Co-ax (a Christmas present to myself, delayed shipping) in, set it up and and reset all my dies with Forster lock rings over the weekend. Man, what a machine. This thing is a beast. Am already getting measurably improved results in runout...... Why did I wait so long to buy this????

It does take some getting used to - the geometry of the access point is different than using an o-frame press, but the difference is worth changing where you sit and arrange your loading benchtop.

Elkbane

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by Elkbane
    Got my Forster Co-ax (a Christmas present to myself, delayed shipping) in, set it up and and reset all my dies with Forster lock rings over the weekend. Man, what a machine. This thing is a beast. Am already getting measurably improved results in runout...... Why did I wait so long to buy this????

It does take some getting used to - the geometry of the access point is different than using an o-frame press, but the difference is worth changing where you sit and arrange your loading benchtop.

Elkbane
    Loosen up the the ball/spring that holds the lock ring in the press. Just enough pressure that you can still feel the die lock ring sliding past it. Allows the die to center a little bit better.

johndoe3

Elkbane,
    I am impressed with the primer seating using the top of the Forster Co-Ax press. I use it to seat all rifle primers and it gives consistent seating depth. I did buy the short handle for the press and when priming, the short handle gives a little more feel to it (for looser primer pockets). I'm definitely a Forster Co-Ax fanboy.

chestsprings

I have been using a CH , three die holder since 1962.

built like a tank

still load accurately.

I think it will last until I die :D

Elkbane

Dcloco, Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I'm not priming on this press, although I looked over the priming station and can see how it would work well - I usually hand-prime with a RCBS universal tool. That way I can feel when a primer pocket is getting loose and mark the case. It's got the best tactile "feel" of the hand primers I've tried. The Lee's worked well, but I got tired of breaking handles.....

The other thing I like about this is where the lock ring sits on the dies. It's low enough on Forster dies that you can see the hole n the threads - so if you ever have to tune the location of the sizer ball, you have a visual clue on where to set it. On my other press, the lock ring covered the hole.
    Elkbane

Now if the ground would thaw out so they can complete the renovations on our range, I'll be back in the shooting business. Had to resort to reloading shotgun shells this weekend. Loaded every empty in the house Sunday.......

Basic Member

The Bonanza CO-AX is a great press.

Bob Hagel who wrote extensively on handloading used a CO-AX.

Like mine though it gets little use these days.

Basic Member

Since I haven't used any others for almost fifty(50) years, I've got to throw in a vote for the Herters line of presses. I have two single presses and one 6-hole turret, still in use. I do have a Little c-h that looks like a mini-Herters that is used for bullet seating and I just bought a cheap Lee to dedicate to an auto prime II. Oh--and a couple of mec jrs. for 12 and 20 Ga. Since I haven't worn these out yet, they must be the best. Steve

Basic Member

I taught myslef to reload on a small lyman single stage press...mainly .38/357 and .44mag.
    I later progressed to a Lee Pro 1000....so to speak. For a first progressive press
    I learned a lot....enough that I could really appreciate my Dillon 650.
    I use the Dillon for plinking ammo....9mm,45acp, 38/357, 44mag...possibly soon 223 for my AR.
    My serious loading is on the Rockchucker....223,243, 25.06, 308, and 30.06.

The lyman got sold years ago....it was a simple one useful for loading at the range.
    The Lee is gathering dust in the garage. I need to see if I can find something useful
    for it to do or I'm gonna sell it....to get another rockchucker or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12