Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best press's

Best press's

Who has the best press? RCBS, Lyman, etc. I will be loading 308's, 22-250's, and 243's. I am getting started and decided I am going to piece a system rather than buy a kit.

Any recommendations will be appreciated. I am looking at electronic scales and this is the main reason I am going to piece a system together.

Will probably load about 200 to 300 per month, mainly 308's.

[B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

stevec

Re: Best press's

LEE has a classic cast press for about $90

It is very very stout. I have had one four several years now and I dont see me ever wearing it out.

Steve

RCBS single stage and Dillon 550B have both use both

Basic Member

Lee Classic cast great press and better price you cant go wrong
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

Uncle Jack

I first started reloading in 1959....have used RCBS presses and dies most of my life.

This is the best press I have ever used:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=265719

pa hog

+1 Lee Classic Cast

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    I first started reloading in 1959....have use RCBS presses and dies most of my life.

This is the best press I have ever used:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=265719
    +1 for the Forester Co-ax press I wish I had not waited so long to get one and I have used a lot of them over 45 years of loading.

The Forster Co-Ax is the best thing going. I have used all of the others listed above and while they work well, the Forster is much better.
    More shooting, less typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Any recommendations will be appreciated. I am looking at electronic scales and this is the main reason I am going to piece a system together.
    The electronic scales are nice but I like to have a beam scale around too, in fact I have a couple of them and use them frequently to check the electronic and each other as well.

As far as presses go the two I have used the most are the RCBS Rock Chucker and the Lyman Orange Crusher, not much difference to me, I also have a Lee hand press that really comes in handy on occasion. I have never used the Forster but I would like to try one some day.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I&#39;m loading on a Dillon 550 I bought back in 89 when I was heavy into IPSC and tactical matches. My single stage is an RCBS Junior that is probably 40 years old and still going strong. I agree with BobT, I use a Pact digital scale with an RCBS 1010 for backup and cross checking accuracy.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

One thing to keep in mind about electronic scales is that they don&#39;t like freezing temperatures--that must toast the load cell. At least, that&#39;s what the manual for my RCBS chargemaster says. My main loading space is in an unheated garage, so I recently got a beam scale to use out there when I bring the electronic back into the house for the winter.

+2 on the Forster Co-Ax. I&#39;ve been using one for 15+ years (along with redding, rcbs, dillon) and I just recently bought another for convenience. Other than the Dillon for high volume stuff, the Co-Ax is what I use. One drawback to the Co-Ax is that if you are loading for cartridges with very different base diameters ( .25 acp, .308, 338 Lapua) you would need to change out the jaws. The standard jaws work OK for 223--belted mag, so if you are staying in that range the Co-Ax would be a fine choice. One nice thing about the Co-Ax (and Dillon) is that the spent primers drop down through a hole in the press so everything stays clean.

Oh, and get yourself a separate hand primer. I like the new RCBS&#39;s with the universal case holder.

Best of luck,
    Kevin

Forester

I have a 550B, and a Forster Co-ax. I used to have a Rockchucker but gave it to my dad. I have also used the Lee Classic Cast.

I would personally not attempt to load precision rifle ammo on a 550B, but it is great for higher volume loading.

Of the 3 single stages, the Forster is head and shoulders ahead for me, with the Classic Cast just edging out the Rockchucker because of price and the 100% control of spent primers. From a manufacturing quality standpoint the Lee and RCBS are about equal to me.

Just a note: the comments about the Lee Classic Cast do not transfer to any other Lee press. It is the only Lee press I would recommend for anything more important than a doorstop.

I used to use an electronic scale often but they just are not designed for trickling up powder charges. They seem like a great idea but there are too many things that impact their accuracy. I use a beam scale for everything except weight sorting cases or bullets.

What about the RCBS Chargemaster, or the one from Lyman? Are they pretty accurate and quick?

Forester

THE RCBS Chargemaster gets pretty good reviews from most I know who have one. Personally the electronic scales makes it not for me.

You can pretty easily outpace these automatic dispensers though with a balance beam and a powder dump set to dump a tenth or two low. It is a more intensive activity than pushing a button and letting the machine work, but in exchange for your work you get better accuracy and a faster process.

hitman49

My father has the RCBS Charge Master and I had a Lyman DPS but have since sold it to Sinman. My father doesn&#39;t load a whole lot and when he does it is for hunting so he doesn&#39;t need a bunch of rounds at once. I helped him load some rounds for a trip to Montana in October and the Charge Master was accurate 99% of the time. It did throw some charges that went over but not too many. We were loading 300 win mag and 338 win mag rounds so there was a lot of powder that needed to come out and it does take a while. If your not in a hurry they work but if I was going to load several hundred rounds I would just use a dump and trickler with a good scale. The DPS that I had worked well also but I tend to load at least 200 rounds at a time and it was just too slow to keep up. It did work good for working up loads for a new rifle though because I didn&#39;t have to worry about adjusting a dump, just type in the numbers and hit dispense.

Team Savage

RCBS Rockchucker. Resize 200 to 300 at a time for my .308 M1A. Wore out a Lee press doing crimped in primers. Single stage works best for me because I like the "feel" of every case being resized. Lee Auto Prime for the same rerason. Feel the primer seat and know it&#39;s where it&#39;s suppose to be and if the primer pocket is the slightest bit loose. Seen too many progressive loaded rounds that "didn&#39;t get sized and charged. "One" slam fire in a M1A spells trouble.
    And the Customer Service at RCBS is "the best"!! Never paid for replacement or broken parts from RCBS. They won&#39;t let you. ;D
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Single stage works best for me
    I have hear the above from several. The press&#39;s with turrets doesn&#39;t appeal to many that reload mainly rifle rounds!

Might get two single stage presses!!!

Interesting comments above on the digital scales.

Team Savage

My shooting buddy has a Forster Co Ax as well as 2 digital scales. Just got a new Pact. Loves all of them but hasn&#39;t convinced me to change. I had a RCBS digital, didn&#39;t care for the set up time, never gave it a chance so I sold it. Just an "Old Dude" stuck in his ways. I can still shoot bug holes so I guess "that&#39;s" what matters.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

RCBS Rocker, Lee Classic and a B-Square Magnum Arbor press for my inline die sets.

I have seen everything recommended "EXCEPT" Lyman products/kits!

What you thought on Lyman presses/reloading kits?

Can&#39;t really comment on Lyman&#39;s new stuff.....never really hear of anyone that uses it. If I recall they used to make a real stout press - the Tmag or something like that.

Any press will serve you well. I&#39;ve got a Redding Boss and Lee classic cast. Use and like both although the Lee is MUCH more stout than the Redding.

Best advice I can give is to buy a cheap Lee (~$20) and a universal decapping die. Decap (remove primers) in a separate step using the little Lee.....I normally do mine after I clean brass. This will keep all that primer gunk from getting in your press ram that you size and load with.

Basic Member

Don&#39;t know much about presses. Don&#39;t have much experience.

But the only press I ever cracked the frame of was a Lyman.

snoog37

Forster Co-ax & the RCBS chargemaster for me.

I&#39;m a fan of the elec thrower/scale combos. I have (and still use) both the RCBS & Lyman 1200 (older unit w. II speed upgrade kit). I see no reason to go back to the manual thrower/scale/trickle. I&#39;ve verified enough rounds using a manual scale to know that the units are reliable. Sure, you still need to pay attention for slight overthrows...but you have to do that with over-trickles too. When I really want to produce in volume, I get them both chugging along fast...and when doing that, I don&#39;t even have time to seat bullets...yet I still have very accurate, individually weighed rounds.

I&#39;ve used an RCBS A2 press, Redding Big Boss...still have, like, and use them sometimes. Found that dies made more of a difference in those presses though, especially as it relates to concentricity. More work to set up for good results IMHO. Found myself favoring the Forster dies, so bought a co-ax. Switchouts easy & 100% repeatable, no re-setup or tuning work, concentric rounds.

With the single stage RCBS press, would it be to my advanage to get two, one for decapping/sizeing and one for seating the bullet? Would this speed up the process? Or just changing the two dies on one press is the way to go?

Again, will be loading 22-250, 243, and 308&#39;s.

Also, I understand to get the correct OAL for my gun, I will barely seat a bullet in the case, then put it my rifle and lock the bolt. I remove the bullet, measure it, and subtract .002 to have the exact OAL for my gun? Is this correct? I will have to do this with every gun as I have three 308&#39;s.

RCBS have good kits,

Lyman seem to have complete kits, mainly they have a manual power scale and an electronic! Also a case trimmer.

See the below link

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/LyC_RPK_Exp_Del_Tmag.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast