Thread: Best Factory ammo for the AXIS 223

Basic Member

Best Factory ammo for the AXIS 223

For those who shoot factory stuff through their Axis .223 which brand,bullet weight and type havs provided the best results for you?
    I have had my Axis for 2 weeks now and have only shot it once with some cheap Tul-ammo 55gr HP for sighting in a new scope. Results were very poor in my opinion 3'' at 100 yds. I then tried some Hornady 55gr v-max and results greatly improved to
    1.07" at 100 yds.
    This is with the stock trigger, ( New Basix trigger on the way) which is very stiff. Looking for some cheaper ammo that preforms close to the Hornady stuff.

Mathias
    I have had pretty impressive results with PMC bronze 55gr. I can't give group sizes, but it'll hit a 4" gong at 300y every shot... The price isn't too bad and it's easy enough to find around here, so that's my go to ammo for time at the range.

Xaved
    Hornady FMJ TRAINING 55gr isn't bad for the price, I've gotten 1'' at 100yds with them.

Federal Fusion .223 62gr is the best load I've used though. I've gotten consistently touching holes at 100 yards with that load.

Basic Member
    Had a change to try some american eagle 50 grain varmint tipped ammo that shot awesome, 6 rounds in a 1.3" group@ 100yds. If I would have stopped at 3 rounds I could have covered the 3 holes with a quarter. That is on par with Hornady expess 55gr. ammo, but it was 6 bucks cheaper for a 20 rounds. I also tried hornady steel match 55 gr. ammo that was not bad, 1.5" at 100yds.19 bucks for fifty rounds. So I think I have found my target and varmint loads. I will definatley try the fusion 62gr first chance I get. All the real cheap russian stuff has not proved accurate in my gun so far.
    Im very happy with the accuracy of this rifle (with the right ammo) we even blew up a 2 liter water bottle for some explosive visuals...........

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaved View Post
    Hornady FMJ TRAINING 55gr isn't bad for the price, I've gotten 1'' at 100yds with them.

Federal Fusion .223 62gr is the best load I've used though. I've gotten consistently touching holes at 100 yards with that load.
    Glad to here this. I've bought two boxes of it withouth having shot it. It's just so cheap at my local gun store I can't help buying it.... Lol
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

Basic Member
    I get 1" groups (sometimes better) at 100 using Federal bulk value pack.

M.O.A.
    i have a stevens 200 in 223 and it shot the 62 gn bthp brown bears great at 1" or less at 100 yds.

but i now reload and use 68 gn hornaday bthp match on 25gns of varget and have got it well under 3/4" five shot groups

i also have the riflebasix triger and love it

Basic Member
    I have just installed a riflebasix sav-1 trigger as well, what a big difference from the stock trigger. With the trigger and some Hornady 55gr v-max or the american eagle 50gr v-max I have sniper like accurary out to 200yds. I have not tried any longer ranges as of yet. Great lil gun for the investment.
    Last edited by gsperaz; 08-08-2012 at 08:51 AM.

seanmurphy265
    I've been shooting Hornady V-Max our of my 223 AR. I'm not sure about accuracy, but I've been told Hornady makes the best 223 rounds for deer hunting. I'm going to try it this winter!

Basic Member
    The recommedations i have recieved for deer hunting with the 223 are the 62gr pointed soft points (Federal Fusion). I havent tried any of the heavier grain bullets yet, but that is next on my list. I did see a new company called HPR making 60 v-max ammo. A box of 50 was 29.99 at academy sports.
    I would be concerned a vmax or hollow point bullet would not provided the penetration need for bigger game.

M.O.A.
    yes the 62 gn soft points will work if your gun will shoot them? like i said mine likes heavier bullets some dont you just have to shoot some and fine out

Basic Member
    Best has been 69g Black Hills. We often shoot these out to 400 yards.

Basic Member
    For the money, and these are cheap. PMC 223 55 gr FMJ BT. They group under an inch consistently in my rifle

pure havoc
    The best factory ammo out of my .223 axis has been Remington UMCs 55gr FMJ. .75" groups @ 100

I cant even shoot tula out of mine it swells up in the chamber and I have to lightly tap the bolt handle with a rubber mallet to extract them

Howie
    I was told by the head of Savage Customer service when I sent my rifle back for repairs that they use 69gr federal for testing for accuracy. I think he said it was the match grade but can't remember the exact round but do remember the 69gr and federal.

Basic Member
    You can only blame the ammo for so long until its more of the shooter.

Amistoso
    Fiocchi Extrema rifle hunting 50gr VMax (50round box) $21-23 Shoots nice groups too. Tulamo sucks big time!

Mathias
    I'll use tulammo in the AR but not the savage... It's dirty and smells like cat urine, but it's nice and cheap

Amistoso
    I feel the same way. Tulamo is good for my pistols, and AR(although I haven't used it much lately).

brasse
    For plinking at 100 and 200 yards you should use factory ammo that is not boat tail. Best I have found is Hornady 52 grain match. The Hornady steel match comes in 55 and 75 grn, about $19 for 50 rounds. Just shot a bunck of sub MOA groups at 100 and 200 rounds using the 55 grn steel match.

The Black Hills and Federal Gold Sierra 69 grain HPBT are 300 to 500 yard ammo. I buy a lot of the Blach Hills reloaded ammo, even their seconds. They have moly coated bullets that are amazingly accurate.

Howie
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    You can only blame the ammo for so long until its more of the shooter.
    I guess there is some truth to that however going from 55 to a 68 grain bullet made a world of difference for me. When I was talking to customer service they suggested to not use the Tula ammo at all they said it may be part of my problem with the extractor getting messed up, take it for what its worth. That was enough for me I quit using it and haven't had a problem since getting the rifle back. I picked up some 68 grain Hornady that was $30 for 50 not sure the exact specs on it but it improved tremendously. I was getting quarter size groupings at 100 yards , I was at 3 to 5 inch group before that.

Amistoso
    Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    For plinking at 100 and 200 yards you should use factory ammo that is not boat tail. Best I have found is Hornady 52 grain match. The Hornady steel match comes in 55 and 75 grn, about $19 for 50 rounds. Just shot a bunck of sub MOA groups at 100 and 200 rounds using the 55 grn steel match.

The Black Hills and Federal Gold Sierra 69 grain HPBT are 300 to 500 yard ammo. I buy a lot of the Blach Hills reloaded ammo, even their seconds. They have moly coated bullets that are amazingly accurate.
    Thanks for the tip brass!