Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simmons White tail Scope

kinda late to post this. i have had my Simmons WTC for a year now. its held zero fine. the longest i have shot is 400ish yards. the scope does its job great. I just dnt the 100 yard mark is set on the 11x power "i think" its colored red, also when you change the power your POI changes. i read to write down where it hits when doing that. It worked great at low light when deer hunting also.

n4ue
    Hi Frank. I have a couple of Vipers and luv 'em. Bought a NEW Nikon Monarch and sent it back the next day. Toy 'like' like the new Weaver Kaspa. (Should have been called the "Casper".....)
    Here's another one to look at:
    Redfield Revenge. Around $270. Made in the Philippines. I know have over 30 scopes, I'll stick with the Milletts, the RR and Vipers in this market segment!
    About the same time, I bought a Weaver Kaspa. Absolute junk. Typical China made $150 scope. Actually it's more like a $50 scope with a $100 'value adder' due to Weaver's name. They should be ashamed......

ron

Basic Member
    If you've ever liked through a konuspro m-30 you would say it had great glass

Basic Member
    And its made in china. And as far as the WTC goes, its clearer than any of my crossfires and I've never had a problem with them

n4ue
    Long post, sorry...........

I have several Konus scopes and like them enough, that they are attached to some accurate varmint rifles. I DO NOT have a 'problem' with Chinese scopes. I have a lot. I DO have a problem with the lower end models. Let's face it. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is made to a price point. I keep hoping to find that $1000 scope for $100, but it ain't gonna happen......You do (pretty much) get what you pay for.

I brought a bunch of my 'spare' scopes to the range at work one day. I keep the price of the different models unknown to some of my co-workers and a couple are experienced hunters, but most are not scope enthusiasts.
    One such exercise, showed a brand new Nikon Monarch (4-16X42mm) to be 'ranked' inferior to a $70 Center Point. That Nikon went back the NEXT day for a refund. There was nothing radically 'wrong' with the Nikon, but for $450+, I expected it to knock my socks off. It didn't and (like the Kaspa), felt cheap. I've had bad luck with Barska, NcStar, FM, TacVector, etc. I really didn't expect much and was not terribly disappointed. It's just 'play' money.....and I enjoy the challenge.
    I've had excellent luck with all my Milletts (3 LRS-1s and 2 TRS-1s)... Not only have I never had a problem with any of my Milletts, I called the factory one day, to inquire about purchasing different height 35mm rings.
    I did not like the high rings and they were nice enough to send me the height I wanted, (several sets) FOR FREE! How could you beat that?

Yes, these Chinese scopes cost just less than $500, but the quality is excellent.
    Last time I was at the LGS, the owner asked me if I wanted to look through the $1500 Zeiss scope I was eyeballing.
    I had to reply, "Heck, NO!". My savings account would have suffered.

I have mentioned this before..... Back in the mid-70s, I bought a new Rem 700 Varmint Special in .243. Having a young family, my first house, etc, all I could afford was a Japanese Tasco 20X40mm. All my buddies made fun of it. Through the years it was removed and replaced with 'better' glass.
    It wasn't until last year, when I took it out and put it into an optical jig I made, that I realized just how nice that old glass is, compared to the 'new stuff'.

I put together rifles for my buddy/boss. I bought him a Fujinon 3.5-10X50mm scope from the Sportsman's Guide. It absolutely is one of the nicest non-parallex adjustables, I have ever looked through.
    Since Fuji (Japan) makes some great camera lenses, I should have known. When I tried to buy more, they were gone forever. Evidently, Fuji didn't stay in the scope business. Too bad, this was an excellent example. Warranty? He has a LOT of $ and will just buy new. He couldn't care less if I get a NF or Tasco. He's not a 'shooter' and his guns are just things for me and his traveling buddies to play with, on his private range. The rifle just sits in the safe until I shoot it. Ah, perfect job... ha ha

FWIW....

ron

Basic Member
    As others have said the Redfield is good as are the Vortex Vipers, and the Nikons. I'll also throw Swift in there too. So often they get overlooked by many, I guess because they don't do a lot of advertising like a lot of the other brand names. But they are good scope nonetheless. At least in my experience. Very decent quality for the price and they are made in S. Korea, not red communist China.

jordan
    I have one on my 300 win mag and its doing just fine...

Wyomingwindage
    I have 2 WTH, they both are ok. Have shot 200y, up to 400y, then down to 100y in club shoot several times with my 7-08. Track ok. Pretty good glass, cross hair a little heavy for me. Scope is fairly heavy and large bell. Only used 20x. The turrets are the biggest problem for me, I have trouble remembering, setting the come-ups-downs. Worth the price. Not sure about the warranty, I talked to Bushnell and they seemed to be willing to work on them if they had a problem. Ron.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12