Thread: Nightforce br or ?????

Basic Member

Nightforce br or ?????

Looking for a long range scope. Shooting off the bench out to 1k.*

Variable power, looking in the 8-32 range or simmilar. I had a Weaver T36 that I really liked* but not going with a fixed power for this project.

Weight isn't an issue one way or the other and the scope won't be used for any kind of field work. No "tactical" matches, no hunting

Looking at reviews it sounds like the Nightforce are the scopes to beat, but lot of folks like the Zeiss, the Sightrons etc.*

As far as budget goes, I'd obviously rather spend less than more but don't want to shoot myself in the foot either.* Most of these scopes are a little under or over the $1k mark- with some dropping down around 7-800 and others pushing 13-1400. I don't want to go with a "cheaper" scope, only to wish I'd bought something better. At the same time I don't want to spend money on features I won't use, or buy a brand just because its the "in" brand.*

Don't have anything against Nightforce- but don't want to pass up looking at others that would be comparable.

Thoughts?

davemuzz
    Vortex. If you go to Snipers Hide and read, you will find that there are a pile of Vortex users and all of 'em seem pleased with 'em. I just bought a Vortex 6-24X 50mm SFP for $750 and put on my 6.5 Swede. It's worth every penny. The reticle is fantastic and the turret adjustments are spot on....and back to zero with no issues at all.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply- I'll check them out.

Team Savage
    Sightron SIII would be my choice
    Bigsupplyshop.com has great prices

drybean

Basic Member
    drybean- what do you like about the Sightron over the NF?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by mattri View Post
    drybean- what do you like about the Sightron over the NF?
    never had a chance to try a NF
    so i cannot compair them
    but the sightron is about 4to $500 cheaper
    i am very happy with my 8x32 lrmoa2
    drybean

Basic Member
    Good to know thx.

Team Savage
    +1 on Sightron SIII. I can't afford a NF to compare. But the glass, tracking and return to zero performance of the SIII is spot on.

I like all the above suggestions. Vortex and Sightron are a good scope for the money. But if you can swing the extra dollars for a NF Benchrest, this is the one I would recommend. 12x42 NP2DD reticle.

I have also owned the 8x32's, but the 12x42's IMO are the best! Not much differrence in price either.

I have an older NF BR 8-32x56 AND an SIII 8-32x56 LRMOA. I really like both of them but i do not see anything better about the NF to spend the extra money on another one. I am actually considering selling my NF and buying another SIII LRMOA because i like the reticle, side focus and exposed turrets.

The SIII has side focus, which I like better than the AO on the NF. I really do not think the glass is any better on the NF either, but I would say that they are close to the same.

Now my buddies NF NXS, that is a whole nuther animal! I would love to have one of those, but find it hard to drop that much coin on one when i could get 2 SIII's for the same price.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    I have the SIII 8-32x56 LRMOA. Very nice piece of glass for the $. I also recently aquired a vortex viper. The vortex is nice but the sightron is still my #1 choice between the two.

Basic Member
    I use the Sightron SIII 8x32x56 lrdt/tdt 1/8 dot and I really like them.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Deerhunter 28
    I have the 8X32x56 Imrad/mil dot and like it a lot. Sightron is a good scope

If I had the cash I would have NF!

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
    Blacked out

Billch
    I started with a 5.5-22x56 NF, NXS. Good scope, but wasn't near enough. I thought that a 8-32 NXS would do me. It did for a while. I finally popped for a NF, BR 12-42x56, CH-3. This is a great scope. I had an opportunity to compare it side by side with a March at the range one day. I honestly don't think I could see a difference. (Neither could the guy who owned the March!) The bad thing about a side parallax adjustment knob on the NXS is that it is so dang convenient. The 12-42 NXS brings it all home. That's what I use now on my 6.5-08 Imp. I use the BR on my 223 AI. It can easily resolve bullet holes at 300.

My local rifle club has a quarterly match. The x ring on the 300 yard target is 3/16". I hear what some of you are saying about being able to do OK with less power, but I sure can't.

B

Basic Member
    I have both the Nightforce BR 12-42 BR NP-R2 and the Sightron 8-32 LRTD and prefer the Nightforce
    6CM