Thread: Scale Check Weights, Too Expensive?

Nandy

Scale Check Weights, Too Expensive?

Ok someone enlighten me, why are these 8 or so tiny pieces of steel so expensive? I can fathom dropping $30 plus on these. I might as well go to a place that sells gold or precious metals with a few pieces and let them weight them for me and note it down. Anyone done something like that? Where did you go to make sure they had accurate scales?
    Thanks!

M.O.A.
    never done it but it soulds like a good ideal. all my scales came with the checks

Nandy
    Mine have 2 check, 20 and 50g but I wan to check the scale thru the range specially around the 60 gr area where more of my loads are. Every time I have used the checks that came with it the 20g is very consistent but the 50g is not. However, both are way over my 60gr powder average.
    I think my idea should work, I am just making sure there if there is a real reason why you must use those factory made checks AND also see where will be the best place to take those "home made" check weights to get an accurate number...

M.O.A.
    well like you said a place that buys gold would have really good scales.

and the factory checks are mainly there to recalibrate your scale should you drop it or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    Ok someone enlighten me, why are these 8 or so tiny pieces of steel so expensive? I can fathom dropping $30 plus on these. I might as well go to a place that sells gold or precious metals with a few pieces and let them weight them for me and note it down. Anyone done something like that? Where did you go to make sure they had accurate scales?
    Thanks!
    The thing with "standards" at least in principle, is HOW accurate they are. They are(should be anyway) WAY more precise than your .1-.2 grain scale, AND should be coated to prevent oxidization.
    Most $20-80 scales are accurate to around that .2 grain. SO, what that means, is that is it possible to actually be off by .4 grain. OR the more typical is you are off .1 on the light side when "zeroed" and heavy that same .1 when filling. Means you are off of what you think you are by 2/10ths.
    The "precious metals" folks likely don't have a scale more accurate than you do. It would be in their interest to "fudge" the weight on their behalf. Not saying that they do, but certainly likely.
    The Ubber precise scales must have a hood, as the slightest air current will make a significant difference.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Nandy
    MOA and Darkker, thanks both for your opinion. The reason I thought to take my home made check weights to jewelers is due to a little research I did. I have to agree that not all jewlerers will have the nice scales but the big boys, specially those dealing with diamonds should have the good ones. In my research I even saw some scales down to .0001 gr accuracy which of course, I dont think we need (it was over 2k scale). I actually saw one scale down to .05gr accuracy for about $80 but was a bit skeptic. I made sure they stated gr, not g or mg. I wonder what type of coating I should use. Maybe some type of rustoleum?
    Thanks!

Typically coated in something that WON'T rub/wear off, or corrode quickly. Perhaps chrome
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Take a few galvanized washers of different sizes (weights) somewhere to weigh for you. Luckily I was able to do that at work and they serve the purpose well.