Newbie here with a couple questions... I bought a Stevens 200 in .223 that I bought around 2 years ago as my first centerfire rifle. I probably put around 1000 rounds through it mostly just plinking cans and clays on my own 100 yard range (go there probably 5 weekends per year) and it has served me well in that regard. I have a friend out of state that I visit about 3 weekends per year and he just set up a range on his property with steel gongs every 100 yards out to 1000. Last time I was up there, I shot 300 yards with my bone stock Stevens and my friend brought his .308 10FP McMillan out for me to try and i got out to 600 yards with relative ease. To say the least, I am hooked and now want to have my own rifle that is capable of those longer ranges. I'm a college student with somewhat limited funds so this is going to be a budget build based off my Stevens action. I already ordered a SSS competition trigger, SSS bolt lift kit, and an SSS tactical bolt handle. Once these parts come in, I'm going to keep shooting, but eventually I will replace the plastic stock and will replace the barrel with an ER Shaw varmint countour from Midway. Now here is where I am stuck. Should I re-barrel with a .308 or stay with the .223? I know that if I go to the 308 I will need a new magazine box as well as a standard size front baffle and bolt face. That's not an issue. I guess my main concern here is the price of ammo, as I am not reloading. My friend said that if I stick with the 223 and want to get out to 600-800 yards I will need to use a 75-90 grain bullet, which will cost just as much, if not more as regular box of .308s. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Need some advice. The logical answer would be to get both, but right now its one or the other.