Thread: Savage 11FCXP3

dbrown

Savage 11FCXP3

I would like to know more about this gun. What model and stuff like that.

Looks like you got the model part down. Very good rifle for the money.

no accutrigger, comes with a bushnell scope, good value, plastic stock.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Thumbs Up Good bargain!

I just recently bought the same model except in a long action .300 Win Mag.
    I replaced the cheap scope with a Leupold VXI. I changed the bases for Weaver ext bases front & rear and use Burris Signature series Zee rings.
    Trigger pull was brought down to 3.5lbs and I bedded the recoil lug to give support.
    I'm still working on loads.
    IMO these are great rifles!! Next will be one with an Accutrigger

DeerDogger
    I picked up a .270 in the long action version a couple of years ago. Changed out the crap scope (Simmons at the time) and recently adjusted the trigger. I also added some iron sights. I have thought of getting a new stock, but for some reason, I don't find the one one it to be as much a piece of "tupperware" as some have suggested. They are great rifles for the cost.

@ JMG1894: Did you have any problems bedding your rifle? I have read that some of the synthetic stocks don't take to it very well. I have thought of bedding mine, but when I took it apart the other day I noticed that on the muzzle side of the recoil lug, its just a huge void that would take a lot of epoxy to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by DeerDogger View Post
    I picked up a .270 in the long action version a couple of years ago. Changed out the crap scope (Simmons at the time) and recently adjusted the trigger. I also added some iron sights. I have thought of getting a new stock, but for some reason, I don't find the one one it to be as much a piece of "tupperware" as some have suggested. They are great rifles for the cost.

@ JMG1894: Did you have any problems bedding your rifle? I have read that some of the synthetic stocks don't take to it very well. I have thought of bedding mine, but when I took it apart the other day I noticed that on the muzzle side of the recoil lug, its just a huge void that would take a lot of epoxy to fill.
    DeerDogger; I only bedded the recoil lug area. I basically built up the area in front with Marine Tex to give the recoil lug some support. For prep work I drilled small holes in all the areas and scuffed up areas not accesible with drill bit. Sprayed metal with Pam, seated barrel, tightened up screws then after approx 2hrs I back the screws off about 1/4 turn. I did this method with my 200 and Win model 70.
    I too heard that bedding these actiond can be frustrating.

thomae
    I have thought of bedding mine, but when I took it apart the other day I noticed that on the muzzle side of the recoil lug, its just a huge void that would take a lot of epoxy to fill.
    You don't need to fill the void on the muzzle side. You only need to bed the receiver side so that the stress/recoil from firing is evenly distributed over the entire area of the lug. The front needs nothing.

DeerDogger
    Thanks for the assist. Where else along the action should these rifles be bedded? Forgive me if I start asking too many questions. I'm relatively new to this forum and very new to any form of gunsmith related work.

cgeorgemo
    Thanks for the assist. Where else along the action should these rifles be bedded? Forgive me if I start asking too many questions. I'm relatively new to this forum and very new to any form of gunsmith related work.
    Bed the bottom of the action around the pillars but be sure to not bed the rear tang. You want that rear tang to be free floating and not touching the stock at all.

Olvi
    Could not find any info, so im asking here. Are parts from other savages(10,12,etc) interchangeable with this Savage 11FCXP3?
    Midway didn't list parts for 11 series. Thanks in advance.