Thread: IMR4064 in a 30.06

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

IMR4064 in a 30.06

Anyone using IMR4064 in their 30.06, preferably with150gr Nosler BT's? What recipe are y'all using?

I just ran a OCW type test looking for the elusive accuracy node with absolutely no luck or good results. I could not get anything under 1.5" at 100yds. At first I thought it was yet another scope gone bad on me but....... I used my 'ol standby recipe of 53.5gr of IMR 4350. I can get 1" and less when I'm doing my part.

With the 4064 I started at 48.5gr & worked up to 52.5gr in .5gr increments with no luck. The best group of 3 rounds was about 1.5"... I couldn't come up with anything that even resembled a pattern, let alone a group.

Is it possible my rifle hates 4064? For the past 6 - 8 months I've been playing around with 4064 & decided to give it a serious try. It sucked. Major suckage. With the IMR 4350 I can do well, even on 200yds. I can still get 2 - 2.5" on a good day on the 200yd line.

ANyone want to throw their $0.02 worth in? I'm at a loss on this. I'm overlooking something & I not sure what it is.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I think years ago when I started loading for the 30-06 I tried the IMR4064 first with no luck. After finding an excellent load using 57gr 0f IMR 4350 (max) and a 168gr SGK I never looked back except to load some accubonds following the same recipe. Sounds like your 4350 load is a little light to me especially with a 150 gr pill???

Sorry no more help on the 4064 except that I didn't find success with it either.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 07-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Thanks for your input, Jeep...

According to Mr. Lyman I can use IMR 4350 from 49.0gr to 57.0gr, which the 57gr is compressed. I think 53.5gr of 4350 was near the middle of the spectrum.
    Ya know, now that I think about it, I've tried 4064 in a few different bullets, calibers & rifles with lousy success. I always end up going toward a slower powder. I try to pick one from the mid point of the Lyman book & usually do pretty good especially if it's Lyman's so called "accuracy load". The accuracy load in question will typically end up being nothing more than a starting point.

I guess it's best to go with what ya know. If it don't work, you can't force it to.
    I'm glad I bought that big plastic can of 4350..... I won't be needing all that 4064, though.
    Thanks for the response.
    Frank in Fla

marineldomajor5902
    I have been reloading the 30-06 for 40 years. 52 grains of IMR 4064 with any good 150 grain bullet will shoot under a inch in any decent rifle. Benchrest prep your brass and seat to touch or kiss lands and shoot five, back it off a couple thousandth, keep it up till you find sweet spot. Guns and loads are like women, you have to play with them to find out what they like, when you do keep feeding them the right load and they will be happy. Try it you will love it, I have been teaching reloading and shooting for over 40 years and load for over 100 calibers and this is one load I never have to look up, it is a staple load, it will shoot in anything. Semper Fi, Freddie

Basic Member
    Tried it earlier today. I went as high as 52.5gr with no results. In fact, the higher the load, the worse it got. Nothing worth noting on the target that would be considered a group. Between 51.5gr & 52.5gr It resembled a loose buckshot pattern. Down around 49.0 did the best with a 3 round group slightly over 1.5". Everything else was wider or scattered.

I may try something even slower than 4064 if I can't come up with a use for it. Maybe it just doesn't like faster powders. I even recall crappy resuls with 4198 & 3031. I had similar results with Rem Core-Lokt 150's.
    Using Fed Premium Vital Shok with the 165 Nos BT's is what got me interested in reloading a few years ago. The Fed's actually provided a genuine cloverleaf at times but were so expensive I started reloading using Nosler BT's to save $$$$$$$$$$$$$...

Thanks for your input...

Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    FGW,
    My 30/06 does not like the Nosler BTs with any powder that I have found.

Regards, Keith

Though it's a max load I haven't compressed 57gr of IMR 4350 under a 168. Nosler 5th edition shows it as the most accurate powder tested and the most accurate charge weight tested in their barrel.
    I have found it to be stellar with SGKs and even put 10 rounds into .446 at 100yds from a 116 FLCSAK with this load.
    Certainly it wouldn't compress or be max with a 150. Nosler 5th edition shows 61.5 gr of IMR 4350 being max with a 150.
    Maybe a little off topic but might want to check some other Data sources if you get the chance.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.