Thread: Annealing .223 cases

JohnW

Annealing .223 cases

I have a 25 piece set of 5.56 cases that I salvaged from the range that I have been experimenting with. I thought that I would anneal them. Well I annealed them and dropped them in water.
    What my problem is. When I full length resized them 9 pieces have dimples just below the neck area.

There was still a little water in the cases when I resized them.
    Is it possible that I had resizing wax and water clogging the vent hole. I cleaned them and and they where dirty.
    Is it possible that I got them too soft.
    With that dimple in the neck. Are they safe to shoot or just scrap them out?

Would appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks
    Last edited by JohnW; 07-31-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: F'ing computer birps. changes pages.

Aircraftmech76
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I have a 25 piece set of 5.56 cases that I salvaged from the range that I have been experimenting with. I thought that I would anneal them. Well I annealed them and dropped them in water.
    What my problem is. When I full length resized them 9 pieces have dimples just below the neck area.

There was still a little water in the cases when I resized them.
    Is it possible that I had resizing wax and water clogging the vent hole. I cleaned them and and they where dirty.
    Is it possible that I got them too soft.
    With that dimple in the neck. Are they safe to shoot or just scrap them out?

Would appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks
    There's a science to getting it done correctly. I would say that the dimple in the case if from too much lube. Take a pair of pliers and give it the "spring test". If you can collapse the case necks easily, you've over-annealed. How far did the annealing mark go down the body? How many propane torches did you use, and for how long? I have a very expensive setup for annealing that takes out all the variables from case-to-case. Here's a video of me doing some 308 cases for a Distinguished Rifleman's M1A that he'll use at Perry this year:

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...709_165338.mp4

Kevin

If there small dimples, I would load and shoot them! The dimple will pop out. Usually too much lube causes a dimple inward.

JMO