Thread: Model 11 large shank barrel - options

Silicon wolverine

Model 11 large shank barrel - options

Hi all. New to the forum. I am a smith/shop owner in north central SD and had a customer bring in a Model 11 in 270 WSM that had a badly overloaded round fired in it. the barrel and bolt head are toast. I dont normally work on Savage rifles, but this one was traded to me in exchange for the gunsmith bill. The reciever and basic bolt are OK. I am looking for a non-WSM caliber large shank short action barrel (something common like a 308, 243, 6mm etc) that i can build back onto this action and resell in my gunshop. trying to do this cheap as im already buried into it (guy basically abandoned the rifle in my shop, no money to pay the bill). WSMs dont sell up here and im looking to build this into a low dollar youth rifle in a light caliber for a beginning deer hunter.

Will savage sell me a barrel to replace this one in a non-WSM caliber? Was reading they make new barrels in the larger shank diameter. Also will they sell me a bolt head to replace mine? If not where can i get one?

Thanks in advance for any help!

SW

Basic Member
    sure Savage will sell you parts if you are an gunsmith, they don't sell certain parts to the general masses though. if you can't find what you are looking for there you may try here and see if they have what you are looking for in parts. good luck!
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Re: Model 11 large shank barrel - options

I think I saw Brownells was selling a .308 large shank barrel the other day. I've got a .300wsm that may get a second barrel for my shoulder's sake.

Basic Member
    Simple fix...even Midway sells new bolt faces...large shank barrels are out there....or just build one in a popular SD caliber & sell the rifle after that...
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Basic Member
    There is a large shank 260 Rem on the fore sale forums. I would pick it up but just rebarrelled a WSM action with a 223 barrel I got fairly cheap.

$85 will get you a new 300wsm from Northlander. Most of the smaller caliber large shank barrels are target barrels and get more money.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...dated-12-29-11

Bolt head missing extractor and ejector or did it do more then that?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    sure Savage will sell you parts if you are an gunsmith, they don't sell certain parts to the general masses though. if you can't find what you are looking for there you may try here and see if they have what you are looking for in parts. good luck!
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
    Savage will NOT sell you a barrel unless you send your action into them so they can install, headspace and proof it. Makes no difference if you're Joe Schmoe or a world renowned gunsmith - that's their policy. Best bet for a cheap barrel would be to get one of the E.R. Shaw pre-fits sold through Midway USA or check with Jim Briggs to see what he has available in large-shank take-off barrels.

As for the bolt head, you can order those through Brownells, Midway USA, or directly from Savage if you have an FFL.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain