Thread: Has anyone used Nosler custom comp bullets?

oneshot57

Has anyone used Nosler custom comp bullets?

I purchased a couple boxes of 30 cal. bullets in the 155 & 168 grn. weights made by Nosler. These are for my model 10 FLCP-K. I don't hear much of anything about them. Has anyone used them and have some information to share with us?

MZ5 and I have both used them. They do seem to hold groups @ 500 amazingly well(I'm a 175 SMK guy). Can't complain about that at all. My 10fp(Painless) seems to have been born immune to copper fouling, until the Custom Comps came along. I hadn't cleaned the bore in well over 500 rounds. I shot something like 20 rounds and my groups opened, inspected the bore and decided a cleaning was in order. After a very thorough cleaning with a squeeky clean bore back out I went. I held good groups at 5-700 for around 60-ish rounds.
    Had to clean again, as the copper build-up was substantial(groups also began to widen). I finished that box O bullets and went back to my SMK's.
    Quite honestly I think they grouped every bit as good as the Sierra's, and velocities were as should have been expected.
    Since my last cleaning, painless is back into the 100+ rounds fired with no appreciable coppering, nor groups opening up.

$0.02
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

oneshot57
    I only have 40 rounds down the tube on the rifle and found that the 168 SMK work the best so far.... will try the 175 SMK next. I have shot a lot of the Nosler ballistic tip in the past in my encore with good results. I guess I need to stick with what works, but we all look for something better.

davemuzz
    Me and a buddy by 'em by the truck load. Me for my 6.5 Swede caliber Savage, and him for his 260 Rem. (Which of course is just like my 6.5 Swede....but nowhere near as pretty!!!) We whack groundhogs in the summer here in Pa. at ranges from 200 to 800 yards. Good times!!!

In my Son's F-Class 6.5-284 it was the only thing it liked and shot really well. We tried several other bullets and came back to the Custom Comp. Never really noticed any fouling problem them.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    For my 30.06 they were OK.... The rifle prefers the Hornady Match 168gr BTHP's. They're good for 1" + or - at 200yds. I tried the Nosler Cust. Comps for a while & found the Hornady to be cheaper & the rifle likes them better.
    For the Nosler 168's I used 49.8gr of IMR 4064 which is near max in the Lyman book.
    The Hornady 168's did real well with 48.3 of IMR 4064.
    Proceed with caution....

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

oneshot57
    Frank, have you tried the 168 or 175 SMK? If so how did they work for you?

Thanks to all for the info, please share more with us if you have it!

Basic Member
    i tried them my mod 12 lrpv and they shot ok(168gr.) but i dont think it was the bullet my rifle seems to love the 155 gr heads (havent tried custom comps yet just amax's) in 223 liked them and still does.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I never tried the 175's. For match bullets I got reasonably good results from the 168's so, I kinda left it there. I wish the 165 Ballistic tips would work as good as the 168gr bullets. I lean heavily toward Nosler products except for the match bullets. I've had very good results & I've got to the point where I can read them when I'm not getting results I expect. If that makes any sense to you......

If it does, maybe you can explain it to me.

I've been wanting to try Berger but I hear too much from guys saying they are real finicky. I'd hate to drop that much $$$$ & find out my rifle hates them.
    Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

oneshot57
    I agree about the berger, I was just looking at them and they are spendy! I think I may give the 168 Hornady match a try just for the hell of it!
    Thanks for your input Frank....

Basic Member
    bergers are pricey (sp) i picked up a box for my 6.5 creedmoor @52.00 a box with tax that was a chunk dont forget lapua scenar's there up there also for me 99%of the time its amax heads with the custom comp and smk's 2nd depending whats on sale (right now amax's are on sale so i'm picking up 5 boxes of thier 155's for the 308.

If you wanna try the custom comps, go to:
    www.shootersproshop.com
    They are the overstock and blem outlet in Oregon for Snozler. They change stock quickly, but have some SMOKIN' deals pretty regularly.

Basic Member
    As darkker said, I've shot Custom Comps some. I didn't think they copper fouled any more than Sierra's 165 BTSP GameKing, but I didn't shoot a whole lot of those rounds to really compare closely. I was impressed enough to buy several hundred thereafter.

Darkker, any chance that the extra copper you got was a consequence of not having the magical copper-eliminating ingredient of 748? The ones I brought to shoot were a stick powder.

As an aside, I didn't know until I toured the Nosler factory recently that ShootersProShop is simply Nosler's 'front end' retail store, so to speak. They sell overstocks and blems (only visual blems; never bent or physically 'damaged' bullets), but also the entire Nosler line.

Certainly possible. I haven't shot anything but 748 in painless in many many years, except for the stuff you brought.

thomae
    Painless? Haven't heard of that brand. Tell us more.

"Painless" is the name for my 10FP.
    It is a comment on reloading for, and all my years hunting with it.

thomae
    I was ribbing you, you realize...I thought it was perhaps an auto-correct typo for "stainless."
    However, knowing a bit more, I see it is aptly named, no doubt. Sounds like a trusted friend you enjoy spending time with.

Everyone needs one of those.
    Cheers.

I knew you were having a little fun :) I didn't think of stainless, but assumed you thought I may have meant something other than what I typed.

Curtis12
    I bought a couple of boxes of Nosler CC 140's a few weeks ago to try in my 6.5x284 model 12 BR because I had read good things from a few shooters and because they are relatively inexpensive ($27.00/100). My first impressions out of the box is they had really ragged metplats and a wide variance in length. However when I loaded them and checked them with a comparator, they all seated to the same length. So far so good. The shape of the ogive allows closer seating to the lands and still allowing a fair amount of shank in the neck. I only loaded 10 ea @ 47, 48, & 49gr of H4831 sc to get a feel for them. I wasn't really happy as they only shot to about .8 moa. They would be good for inexpensive on-steel practice but not on paper.

I have always used 168 smk's in my 308 10fp so I went to them right off with my 6.5 . The 142's in 6.5 shoot pretty well (right around .5 moa), but I felt the gun should shoot better. They cost $35.00/100

I finally broke down and bought some Berger 140 vld's and they look very promising, but they cost a lot... $45.00/100. I do think the vld's are gonna be the bullet for this gun though.

Curtis