Thread: E.R. Shaw barrels?

dieselflipper

E.R. Shaw barrels?

I have a model 12 in .308 that id like to rebarrel in .260 REM. I was looking at E.R. Shaw barrels and was wondering if any of you fellers have used them before. I've been accurizing Mausers for years but this is my first (of many i hope) Savage projects. Appreciate the help, thx.

nsaqam
    I've used them before and they make a fine inexpensive barrel.
    Their lead time is on the order of 5-6 months though.
    McGowen can make you a good barrel in less than two months.

ellobo
    The Adams and Bennet barrels sold by Midway USA reported to have been made by E. R. Shaw. I have two of them, a 7x57mauser and a .35 Whelen. Both shoot MOA with factory ammo and even better with handloads. They wont beat a $300 Brux, Shilen or Pc-Nor but close enough for me. I paid $89 on sale for the Whelen and $129 for the 7x57. Darn good barrels for the money.

El Lobo

stangfish
    That El Lobo is a frugal one.

dieselflipper
    thx, i got a adams and bennet 280 rem barrel on my mauser that shoots 3/4 moa out to 300yds. the problem with and 260 a&b is it doesnt have the 1-8" twist for the 142 MK bullets i want to use. nsaqam, how mush do the Mcgowen barrels run?

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselflipper View Post
    thx, i got a adams and bennet 280 rem barrel on my mauser that shoots 3/4 moa out to 300yds. the problem with and 260 a&b is it doesnt have the 1-8" twist for the 142 MK bullets i want to use. nsaqam, how mush do the Mcgowen barrels run?
    http://www.savage-barrels.com/

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Hey Ellobo - How long did it take to get a barrel from Midway? I was considering one of those Shaw barrel "kits" they sell but they're always out of stock & backorderable (backorderable? did I just invent a new word?)

I'd really, really like to set up my favorite '06 with a fat barrel & brake since recoil has recently become a consideration. It rattles my bones more than they care to be rattled from a couple shoulder surgeries over the years.

Since I was recently introduced to the wonderful world of 25'06 shooting, the recoil from the 30'06 is more noticeable to me. I thought those Midway kits were a good deal...... if they have them. I've heard too many guys sounding a little P.O.'ed about lengthy wait times on backordered stuff & I don't want to be one of them.

Frank in Fla
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 07-28-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    I am on the backorder list at midway. It was at Oct. but checked to see and now it is at 8-18. Ilike to know how long for Ellobo too.
    RSG

I bought the ER Shaw .308 Varmint barrel kit from Midway back when it was in stock. I screwed it on a 110 bedded in a BVSS stock. The barrel is deadly accurate, and cleans easily with no copper build up. All I can say is that this ER Shaw barrel is definitely a step above a factory Savage barrel. The ER Shaw barrel nut wrench and go/no gauges are good quality too. This barrel is not keeping up with the Bartlin's or Shilen's in match's, but it is darn close, real close.

I must add that I've only shot Varget and 175 SMK hand loads through this one and load testing from 41.9 Varget up to 44 with no pressure signs yielded all groups 1 inch or less at 100 yards. I've been working right around 42 grain's averaging 2600 fps for my local match's at 200 yards and 250 yards.
    Last edited by DanSavage; 07-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Basic Member
    I bought a ERshaw kit at midway last year. 223 caliber kit, had it in stock and at $139. Its been a .333"-550" shooter w/my 50g vmax loads. Cleans up super, not fouling copper like the stock bbl did. Im waitng for them to get back in stock also.

ellobo
    Frugal??? is that English for "cheap"? you got that right by the way. I got those barrels 5-6 yrs ago when they were a well kept secret. Delivered in days. Like anything else, when they get a reputation the price goes up and the wait gets longer as the supply gets shorter. They were probably used to selling X no of units a month with the equipemnt they had and suddenly they need a lot more equipment. Takes time to make 10 times X numbers when all you have is the equipment to make X no. of units. You can wait a good long time for other aftermarket makers to deliver so waiting for a Shaw is norma these days.

El Lobo

Basic Member
    I have an ER shaw 257 weatherby on an 03 Springfield that shoots sub.25 groups all day long. Also my dad has a ER Shaw in 243 on a savage that shoots .16 groups at 100 yards regularly.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

cooker900
    i have the shaw 260 barrel and i love it very easy to break in and have had no problems with it and close to 200 round down range.

in my mind supurb product.

Just put together a savage for a friend of mine with a Shaw barrel in 6.5-284. Picked 47 grains of H4350 out of the book and shot 5 five shot groups the biggest of which measured a mere. 867" out to out. Most of the others were right around the half inch mark out of a brand new barrel. They make a fine product.

Basic Member
    I have a Shaw Barrel in .243 that easily shoots three differnt bullet/powder combos sub .5". I am eargerly awaiting one in 6.5 creedmoor for a new build.