Thread: Help with new .308 build

Cool Help with new .308 build

Got all the hunting calibers i need so decided on building a target rifle using Stevens 200 in .308. How limited will I be due to the center feed action I have, in terms of stocks. Looking at Bell and Carlson Medalist #2999. Would like to swap out barrel for Shilen SS varmint match grade 1:10 barrel. Anyone see any problem with this combo?
    [I]if you have to give up a liberty to be secure, then you were never free to begin with[/I]

Basic Member
    Should be a very promising combo. Also take a look at criterion barrels.

Basic Member
    not at all.this will be almost an exact clone of my next build. i build off the stevens short action all the time. as long as you headspace correctly u should be fine. the b and c medalist is about the best bang for the buck replacement stock out there other than the choate tactical.the center feed will be just fine too.

Thanks guys! Will post pics when assembled. May need more help as a few unexpected snags pop up whenever projects like this are done! LOL.
    [I]if you have to give up a liberty to be secure, then you were never free to begin with[/I]

Take a look at the mcgowens as I have one just like you describe and it shoots very well.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Stick with the Criterion!! For a dedicated F class build, take a look a the choate stocks too. You can buy them already inletted for a detachable bottom metal that works well with centerfeeds. They are a little heavier but doesn't matter since you arn't toting it far.
    Last edited by jsthntn247; 08-16-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Hey thx buddy! I will take a look at both. Looking for performance. Not concerned with weight or even looks, for that matter. Why are you partial to Criterion?

Barrel question....Looking to reach out 5-600 yds with a 308. What is the optimal length of the barrel for that distance if using 150grainers with 1:10 twist using select match grade barrel? Will i be able to use heavier projectiles ( up to 200gr) and maintain accuracy with the same barrel length? Is there a formula for figuring this out?