Thread: Stock "Rock"

Aimhigh

Stock "Rock"

I am new to Savage rifles so this may seem like a dumb question to some. I also tried the search function but apparently don't know how to ask the right question.

Here goes: I have a new, model 11 11L (17531 to be precise). It's a LH 7-08 in a syn stock with a blind mag well. I removed the receiver from the stock to clean it. When I put it back together the receiver did not fit flush in the stock. It "rocked" slightly without the action screws in. The pivot point was slightly behind the barrel nut. I thought that maybe the follower was pushing up on the bolt and causing this. I removed the bolt - same situation. I can tighten both screws down and still float the barrel.

Is this normal? Other rifles I own don't have this "up-down" rocking action. Is the stock warped?

Thanks!

stangfish
    Pull it apart and show us pictures.

Basic Member
    did you remove the mag assembly? if you have the centerfeed action(mag stays in the stock) and you removed the mag assembly you may not have put the "L" cliip back in properly.
    do you have an "accu-stock", then you may have left the wedge improperly seated.
    in both cases did you make sure the action is fully seated to the rear of the stock allowing the recoil lug to seat up against the lug area?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Pull it apart and show us pictures.
    actually a better idea!!

I believe what you may be experiencing is normal due to the weight of the barrel, especially since you say you can tighten the screws down and float the barrel without binding the bolt..

The best way to bolt the action into the stock is to stand the stock up on its recoil pad. This will allow the rear of the recoil lug to have a solid contact with the stock. The tighten up each screw a little at a time till you reach your desired torque on the screws.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Aimhigh
    I need to figure out how to get pics from an IPhone to here. In the meantime, This is not accu-stock. It is centerfeed. And, no, I did not remove the magazine. Without pics: The mag is tight fore and aft. Only the follower moves up and down (normal). The white metal "tab" looks forward of the rear action screw hole by about 1/10th of an inch (max distance between forward edge of metal and most forward part of plastic on rear action hole).

I put the stock to action with the butt down (as stated above). Action still rocks. When "down" the foreend touches the barrel. When I tighten everything up it settles in the "up" position and the barrel floats.

Weird!

Aimhigh
    Sorry, no pictures. My profile says I can start, answer, and edit. But not include attachments.

stangfish
    Well if we cant get pictures can you tell us where the pivot point is. when you rock the action is it pivot between the action screws, near the recoil lug...etc...

put a bit of playdoh or such under the recoil lug and see if it is all squished out by the lug bottoming out in the stock.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    make sure the mag lips are lining up with the action and you have action aligned.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimhigh View Post
    Sorry, no pictures. My profile says I can start, answer, and edit. But not include attachments.
    Upload the photo on another photo hosting website, such as picasa. Then simply link to the photo using the Insert Image Icon and the URL of the other picture. To get the URL of the other picture (I'm using firefox, but other browsers will be similar, ) right click on the image and then click on "copy image location." Paste that into the URL field that shows up when you use the "Insert Image" icon while you are posting a message.

I hope that makes sense.

The reason for doing it this way is that you are linking to the photo, but the actual photo is not stored on the Savage Shooters.com servers.

ellobo
    The OP said it seems to rock about the area of the lug and it gets off the stock forend when he tightens the mounting screws. This may mean his tang is not free floated as well as the barrel. It means the lug maybe bottoming out and the playdough idea may show that. If that is the problem he may have to take some metal off the bottom of the lug or material out of the lug recess bottom. A recent post showed that some lugs do bottom out in the lug recess.

El Lobo

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by ellobo View Post
    The OP said it seems to rock about the area of the lug and it gets off the stock forend when he tightens the mounting screws.
    El Lobo
    Hey El, Your not suppose to make me look like a fool on the forum. I cn do that without your help!

Basic Member
    Check to make sure the recoil lug is not bottoming out in the stock.

ellobo
    Sorry Fish old boy. I have been known to make a fool of myself here on occasion. I will try to not be so helpfull in the future. LOL

El

Aimhigh

Rock fixed!!!! The pictures (if they load correctly) will show the original condition from the factory. I only have a box of 20 rounds through this rifle. So I wasn't sure what normal was. I loaded two dummy rounds and slowly worked the action. The tip of the bullet was hitting very low on the feed ramp and when I did a "fast-forced" chambering one of the bullets receeded in the case. This could have been a disaster with live ammo. THE FIX - I pulled out the whole magazine and ended up with three pieces. I asssembled the way it was supposed to go, pushed it back in and it made a loud click. No more "rock" and the bullets feed much more smoothly
    Last edited by Aimhigh; 07-26-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Aimhigh
    One more try with pics.

edit: I'm better with guns than computers (pics would not load)
    Last edited by Aimhigh; 07-26-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Good thinking by using some dummy rounds to help determine the issue> That coulda been ugly if not. Glad you got it figured out.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Aimhigh
    Not to beat the dead horse but................ this may be of help to others with internal/top-loading magazines. My rifle came from the factory this way. The action would not mate properly with the stock, and rounds were hitting the feed ramp low making chambering "difficult". The cause was an improperly installed magazine assembly at the factory. Look at:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles...ccutrigger.pdf (page 16, figure 16). The light-colored metal tab goes into a slot in the mag well body. If the tab was placed in the opening below it, the mag well would not seat flush and (because the rear of the mag well was raised) front of the mag well would be at a downward angle. This improperly seated tab would cause both the problems I encountered. I hope this helps others!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    did you remove the mag assembly? if you have the centerfeed action(mag stays in the stock) and you removed the mag assembly you may not have put the "L" cliip back in properly.
    do you have an "accu-stock", then you may have left the wedge improperly seated.
    in both cases did you make sure the action is fully seated to the rear of the stock allowing the recoil lug to seat up against the lug area?
    glad you figured out.
    i had savage model 16 come from the factory with the accu-wedge improperly installed and the barrel was making hard contact on the right side of the stock, wouldn't shoot worth beans, so i took it apart and reassembled it correctly and now it's a good shooter. i think QC is lacking a bit at Savage.
    good shooting to you!

posted before reading realizing there was a page 2
    sorry guys
    Last edited by Willoughby; 07-27-2012 at 07:10 PM.