Thread: HS Precision stock contacting tang

Jackpine

HS Precision stock contacting tang

I recently tore down my rifle and noticed that the rear of the tang is contacting the stock. It is the HS Precision M24 style stock.

I understand it is best to have the tang free floated. I guess my two options are to remove some material or bed it. I'm not sure that I want to tackle bedding right now. If I remove some material will I end up with a mess? I'm not familiar with the materials that go into this stock. It isn't fiberglass cloth or anything like that is it?

SHL540KB308
    You can remove material from this area, give it a thin coat of epoxy on your finger (dab on) when finished.
    You can remove material from the action itself, bottom side of tang, with a file. When I rework an action I usually do this in a lathe, but can be done by hand.

Later, Brad

tinkerer
    Wrap some sandpaper around a 1.25" wood dowel and sand the area lightly. When you can slip a dolar bill under when bolted up, your done.

Larry
    Tinkerer

Jackpine
    I finally got back to this project. Thanks for the feedback guys. I used the dowel method and it worked great.

savage 10 5r
    I had this same problem. I sanded down material until I saw red color coming through so I had to stop. I had to bed the stock and put quite of bit of epoxy in the rear of the stock to get the rear tang to free float. But by doing so I was able to take an MOA off of my groups. The rear tang riding really messed up the accuracy of my rifle.