Thread: Manners stocks

Ryan81

Manners stocks

Are they really worth the money? I'm trying to do this build as cheap as possible but have been really considering the Manners T2, T4, and T%. I like the integral cheek rest that they have but don't think I want to spend an extra 130 on those. I thought I had set my mind on a Bell and Carlson which would run me about 275 including inletting for the stock DBM. After doing the Manners stock builder, it would cost about 650.

That would be almost 400 more than I had budgeted but might could convince myself to buy it or try to find a used one.

I've also looked at the HS Precision stock, are those a decent alternative?

-Thanks.

LRJammer
    I have both a Manners MCS-T and an HS Precision sporter stock. Both are very good stocks, but really quite different. The HS is a reasonably tough stock, but fairly heavy as well. The grip doesnt have enough hook in it for my taste but I got a pretty good deal on the rifle so I couldnt complain. The MCS-T is very close in profile to the McMillan HTG and both are very close to the perfect all purpose profile in my opinion. The Manners is an excellent quality product and nearly indestructable. Mine is the lighter version with 90% carbon fiber construction. I absolutely love it. I also tried a Bell & Carlson on another rifle and while it is decent for the price, there is no comparison with any of the major names. You really do get what you pay for. You just have to balace what you want Vs what your budget will allow. I have never been disappointed in the long run with either a Manners or McMillan. Long after the sticker shock rubs off, you are left with an excellent product that you can be proud of.

Having previously owned a T2, currently owning two McMillan A5s, and previously owning two Bell & Carlson A2 Medalists inletted for CDI DBM...yes, I personally think a Manners stock is "worth it".

However, everybody needs to run the cost/benefit for their own situation.

I had to swallow HARD in order to drop $550 on the T2 but once I got it I saw that it blew away the Medalist...lighter, more ergonomic grips, better looking aesthetically. For 2.5x the cost, it should! That said, my rifle didn't shoot any better in the T2 than it did in the Medalist.

Only reason I sold my T2 is because I got a used McM A5 for 110 long action at a good price, and after comparing it to the T2 side-by-side found they were a toss-up to me ergonomically. Saw a used 4.4" A5 come up for sale a few weeks later, and decided to standardize my stock collection to the McMillan.

With a 25MOA EGW base and Bushnell 6-24x50 FFP scope, I didn't "need" an adjustable cheekpiece with the T2 (or the A5 for that matter) but it is nice to have. If you're on the fence about this, one option is to order your stock without it and see how it works. If not comfortable, you can try a $40 stock pack OR down the road when funds permit send the stock to 'stockdoc' on SnipersHide and he'll install a KMW (Terry Cross) adjustable cheekpiece into the stock for about $175, IIRC.

Give Manners a call and talk to them; Tom has a program where he'll send stocks out to prospective customers to see if they are a good fit, and all it costs is shipping both ways.

EDIT: another option that might save you a few pennies is ordering a McMillan through 24hourcampfire.

Ryan81
    Thanks for the information. Leaning towards justifying the extra dollars for a better stock. I've also looked at the Manners T1 which would run me about 530 plus shipping and I could always throw on a saddle type cheek rest.

LRJammer
    I like a little more cheek height than the standard cheek piece on mine as well. I have two of the Triad Tactical stock packs and they are excellent (link below). You can add more velcro and/or padding to adjust the heigth. The straps are adjustable over a very wide range and it has a storage area for ammo, tools, and other necessary items.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html
    Last edited by LRJammer; 07-28-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: correction

nsaqam
    Money spent on a quality stock such as the Manners or a McMillan is money well spent.

Captramrod01
    I have a t5A, t3 and a t2. They are far and away better than the lower end stuff and worth it to me. Not to throw a wrench into your plan but don't forget to account for the bedding cost if you go manners.

malachi_s
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    Having previously owned a T2, currently owning two McMillan A5s, and previously owning two Bell & Carlson A2 Medalists inletted for CDI DBM...yes, I personally think a Manners stock is "worth it".

However, everybody needs to run the cost/benefit for their own situation.

I had to swallow HARD in order to drop $550 on the T2 but once I got it I saw that it blew away the Medalist...lighter, more ergonomic grips, better looking aesthetically. For 2.5x the cost, it should! That said, my rifle didn't shoot any better in the T2 than it did in the Medalist.

Only reason I sold my T2 is because I got a used McM A5 for 110 long action at a good price, and after comparing it to the T2 side-by-side found they were a toss-up to me ergonomically. Saw a used 4.4" A5 come up for sale a few weeks later, and decided to standardize my stock collection to the McMillan.

With a 25MOA EGW base and Bushnell 6-24x50 FFP scope, I didn't "need" an adjustable cheekpiece with the T2 (or the A5 for that matter) but it is nice to have. If you're on the fence about this, one option is to order your stock without it and see how it works. If not comfortable, you can try a $40 stock pack OR down the road when funds permit send the stock to 'stockdoc' on SnipersHide and he'll install a KMW (Terry Cross) adjustable cheekpiece into the stock for about $175, IIRC.

Give Manners a call and talk to them; Tom has a program where he'll send stocks out to prospective customers to see if they are a good fit, and all it costs is shipping both ways.

EDIT: another option that might save you a few pennies is ordering a McMillan through 24hourcampfire.
    Hello everyone, I am new here, first post new. I really wasn't aware this site existed but I am certainly glad it does. I have learned a lot simply reading the posts and threads. This post is particularly of interest to me because I am also a Savage shooter looking to upgrade my stock. I have the 10 FPSR LE in .308, It is a great out of the box shooter but I know with a better stock it will perform even better. For days I have bounced from Stockys, to Manners, to Combat Stocks, and on and on. Budget wise, the Medalist from Stocky's is in my price range but as was said earlier, you truly get what you pay for. "That said, my rifle didn't shoot any better in the T2 than it did in the Medalist.", well, that information is incredably valuable to me. Does anyone else share this thought? Thanks
    Last edited by malachi_s; 10-17-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Red Hawk Rifles has the A2 Medalist (2997 or 2999, depending on if your rifle is 4.27" or 4.41" bolt spacing) for less money than just about anybody.

The Medalist is a very good stock...its just 1. heavy and 2. has a terribly unergonomic forearm.

My kingdom for B&C to make the M40 Medalist for Savages....

rrflyer
    Unless there is something wrong with your current stock the rifle probably won't shoot better in one made of plastic vs one made of gold no matter who made it.

What changing stocks does allow you to do is fit the rifle better to you and that allows you to shoot the rifle better and for a longer period of time.

That's why it's very helpful to try a few before you buy.

I've owned several mcmillans, manners, and B&C. I've settled on the manners T2 as my favorite thus far.

I very much think the better stocks are worth the money.

All that being said I have a manners t2 on my main rifle and a choate a5 copy on my 223 trainer and honestly really like it for that gun.
    Last edited by rrflyer; 10-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.

malachi_s
    Quote Originally Posted by rrflyer View Post
    Unless there is something wrong with your current stock the rifle probably won't shoot better in one made of plastic vs one made of gold no matter who made it.
    As much as I appreciate your reply I just can't follow the logic. I understand how a particular action and receiver can offer comfort, which of course would contribute to a more positive shooting experience but with all the models of stocks produced with aluminum structure support, glass bedding, cheek weld adjustability and LOP, are they just making a more comfortable shooter or are they making a better shooting rifle. My rifle came with the "tupperware" stock and on occassion, I can put two or three in the same jagged hole at 100 yds, sometimes two or three at 200 yds on a lucky day but never with any consistency. That is what I am hoping to find, consistency. Please don't misunderstand my post, I am not questioning your judgement but conventional wisdom and a whole lot of professional shooters advise to invest in a good stock. Thanks for the heads up on Red Hawks, I'll look into that.

rrflyer
    Just a question.

If that rifle shot 5 shot groups consistently in sub half inch range would you still feel it needed a new stock?

If the Tupperware stock is of poor quality or causing stresses on the action then it may be a problem.

What I meant to say was that I doubt you won't see any difference in accuracy by dropping that rifle into a manners vs a McMillan or XLR or AICS or whatever you choose. Even a good factory " Tupperware" stock works just fine on a lot of rifles.

If your factory stock is causing inaccuracies then It's got problems.

However we were shooting my buddies sps tactical in a factory "Tupperware" stock to 900+ with great results.

My main point was that all the different styles of stocks allow the shooter to become more comfortable behind the rifle and fit the rifle to their application. Which allows them to shoot that rifle more accurately and consistently in whatever they are doing.

There's no one particular stock design that causes an accuracy boost.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for buying newer nicer things. But at anywhere from 300-1000+ bucks for an aftermarket stock setup knowing why your buying and that you'll like it is pretty important.

I don't see how an action would change the comfort of a rifle though.
    Last edited by rrflyer; 10-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.

malachi_s
    Those are all very good points, I agree. I think that if my particular rifle shot well in the summer, then winter may reflect a change in perceived accuracy. The stock in my opinion will have the tendancy to constrict or expand, depending on temperature. I'm am not as expereinced as most of you perhaps but I have fairly good working knowledge of physics. Actually I know nothing about physics, I just think the heat or cold would tweak the plastic and that can't create an unstable platform. I do understand what your saying flyer, it makes sense. Oh, and I have shot rifles that were rather herky jerky in the action, they worked, but is wasn't smooth, therefor uncomfortable to me.