Thread: open bolt face 7mm to 338RUM

fatrack

open bolt face 7mm to 338RUM

Howdy Everyone,

I'm new to the Savage family and have started my first build. I got a deal on a 7mm older 110 with the standard shank, large firing pin and flat rear receiver and I'm switching it to a 338 RUM. I have been looking at the stuff I need to convert and it looks like I need a new bolt face and firing pin (small pin) and the different extractor (and barrel of course). I was thinking if I run it as a single shot all I would need to do is open the 7mm bolt face (.0534) up to .0536 and I'm good to go. I have searched and haven't found any info on this. I realize the parts aren't expensive but I live in Canada and most of the gun parts companies no long send stuff to Canada (must think we are bunch of terroristas up here) Anyone done this?

Also the WSM and RUM bolt face use a different extractor and Midway carries the bolt face but not the extractor. I can't find the parts or schematics on how this extractor functions. Any insight to this extractor.

Great site and thanks!

KRP

Re: open bolt face 7mm to 338RUM

No need do anything to the bolt face, what you have will work. The extractor is the same it is the ejector that is different as the RUMs and older WSMs were CRF and used a standing ejector. If you want to use the CRF bolt head/standing ejector then you will need to have a slot milled into the action for the ejector also.

fatrack

Ok, your extractor explanation makes sense. I didn't realize the bolt had a channel milled into it. My only concern is that a 7mm cartridge base is a little smaller than the RUM but I guess I can just get a RUM case and see if it fits into the bolt face. Thanks for the insight!

most heads are a little oversized for a generic fit.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

The RUM's and WSM's bodies are larger than the belted mags but the rim is rebated on them to make that part the same size as the rim of a belted mag so it will fit into your bolt head without any modifications. Any action that was made for the 7mm rem mag/300 win mag/338 win mag etc will have the same size head as the ultra mags or WSM's.

KRP

The RUM casehead is spec'd .002" larger than a standard magnum. Like Blue Avenger said the bolt faces are cut with some extra clearance. The RUM casehead fits, I've built a couple. The action needs a slot milled into it for the standing ejector, not the bolt.

fatrack

I got a RUM case and your advice is right on, it does fit with no modification necessary. That simplifies things quite a bit and makes it less expensive. Thanks for all the good input!

Basic Member

Hey I knew that too but what's .002". Close enough for government work! LOL. And they do fit so his problem's solved.