Thread: Need help with my rifle basix trigger on Stevens 200

Basic Member

Need help with my rifle basix trigger on Stevens 200

first timer here so please bear with me. i just bought a sav-1 from cabelas for my Stevens 200 but i am having a hard time installing it and it is really starting to aggravate me. Im about to ditch this thing and get the SSS competition trigger. Does anyone have a picture of their Sav-1 set up and fully functional so I can see how each of the 4 screws wants to be positioned? Ive tried a number of combinations and still cant get it to work right (won't fire, very loose, safety not working, sear not engaging, etc). I will take some put some pics up of what i have so far but if anyone can put one up as well i would really appreciate it. Tried going off the instructions but they didnt help at all

"Where they want to be positioned" is up to your gun, and YOU testing it.
    Read these again:
    http://www.riflebasix.com/SAV-1_Instructions.pdf
    If you can't understand the theory of operation, and what the screws do...
    This guy is adjusting his:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1QSGhhfVg
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeg181420 View Post
    . Im about to ditch this thing and get the SSS competition trigger.
    You would be far better off doing this. The Sav 1 trigger is no competition for the SSS.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeg181420 View Post
    first timer here so please bear with me. i just bought a sav-1 from cabelas for my Stevens 200 but i am having a hard time installing it and it is really starting to aggravate me. Im about to ditch this thing and get the SSS competition trigger. Does anyone have a picture of their Sav-1 set up and fully functional so I can see how each of the 4 screws wants to be positioned? Ive tried a number of combinations and still cant get it to work right (won't fire, very loose, safety not working, sear not engaging, etc). I will take some put some pics up of what i have so far but if anyone can put one up as well i would really appreciate it. Tried going off the instructions but they didnt help at all
    When you take on a job like this you must understand that you have multiple parts working together. Any time you change one piece you may impact other things. It makes things easier to use a guide pin while mounting the trigger assembly. The safety doesnt work because the adjustment screw does not allow the safety slide to limit the trigger travel when in the safety "on" position. Some may call it over travel but on a savage it means safety no worky. Adjust the screw on the rear of the trigger until you can no longer dry fire the weapon. Slowly adjust(loosen) it until the trigger fires or breaks. Turn the screw back in a little at a time until it will no longer fire, no matter how hard you try. Make sure it will cock in the center position of the 3 position safety. Inspect to insure the trigger spring provides enough preload to force the trigger against the sear when cocking otherwise it may fire when closing the bolt. I am concerned that you are having trouble with such a critical safety device on your firearm. Please be careful.

If you get frustrated and ditch it. Do it my way. I will give you 50 if it is undamaged.
    Last edited by stangfish; 07-24-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Basic Member
    Well i figured out what my problem was. Before ordering the rifle basix i did not realize it was only the trigger. I thought it was the whole setup so I disassembled the whole trigger assembly. when putting everything back together, i forgot about the sear spring and I did not have that little tab under the safety installed properly so thats why it was flopping around and not engaging properly. Needless to say with the help of a youtube video i was able to get it all back together and I must say I am amazed by the crispness of the trigger. I think I still have some fine tuning to do and will definitely ensure the reliability of the safety like stangfish talks about but I think it will only get better. I am going to go out to get a pull gauge tomorrow to see where I'm at. Is the SSS competition trigger that much better? I mean, I don't see how it could get much better than this. I'm very happy with my purchase.

stangfish
    Before you go get a gauge look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evfvT70togE