Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model 99

MAGNUS

Model 99

I was wondering if the takedown 99's are as accurate as the standars 99's, if not what wouls be the difference?

Also can the standard 99's be made into a switch barrel rifle with or with out a barrel nut?

Thanks.

Re: Model 99

They can be just as accurate as a solid frame but with T/D's sometimes you'll get one that the forearm binds a bit and throws the accuracy off. Sometimes to find out all you have to do is shoot a group with the forearm removed. If it groups well then, just do a little bit of sanding on the meshing parts.

No, they can't be made into a switch barrel but if you had a T/D you could have a smith match a set of barrels to the receiver.
    Savage- "never say never".

MAGNUS

Ok so i coul get a smith to make me a 22-250AI, 250AI, 270AI and 300AI barrels! :) :D ;D

But only if i choose the take dowm platform. I guess i can live with that after all there much better than thoose BLR takedown jobs!

Not real sure if them old T/D receivers would handle the pressures of a couple of them latter calibers! :D

MAGNUS

Then i guess that i might a well just buy a decent 250-300 and "ackley it" and be done then.

100 gr at 3200 fps is good enough, i hope the reciever can handle that ???

Ya, thats the way I'd go if I was building a fast gun on a 99 frame.

The 100 grain pills might not work so great though. The pre-1960 99's in 250 all had 1-14" twists and the 100 gr bullets don't stabilise as well as the 87 gr did.

Also, a 270 would never work in a 99 cause you'd have to stratch the receiver (impossible) due to the long casings. By 300 I hope you meant 300 Sav cause any other 300 would blow the poor rifling right out the end of the barrel! :D

MAGNUS

Thanks Mad Dog :)

What about post 1960 250's what there twist... any faster??

All the cailbres i mentioned were meant to be based on the 300 savage case. Ill clarify what i mean in detail it might change the previous answer you gave me.

22-250AI - remingtion calimed the rights but thats just BULL its a 220 savage so its a 300 savage necked down to .22 cal and ackleyed
    250AI - necked down 300 savage case to .250 cal and ackleyed
    270AI - necked down 300 savage to .270 cal and ackleyed
    300AI - 300 savage ackleyed

Ya, anything with a Westfield barrel address is gonna have a 1-10" twist.

I grabbed up a Savage 99A saddle gun last year in 250 with the 1-10" twist and even with factory 100 gr fodder it groups amazingly.

I like those A.I. figures, looks like alot of fun to play with. Now you got me thinking about trying one of them 270 AI loads in one of my 300's but I think I'll wait till I find a gun made at Chicopee at least. Can pick up a 300 Sav up here real cheap so it's something to think about.

MAGNUS

The publication "CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD" says that in the 270 savage AI comes "very close" balistically to the 270 win. I think that is very worth it too thats why i wanted my 99 to be a switch barrel if posible then a takedown if not. Im glad im not the only one with the itch to try a .270 savage AI ;D

So then the concept of having a takedown model running those .300 sav AI variatnts would work right?

Also i personallly like the pistol grip models, can you please tell me if one 99 in these variations is better than the next. Finding a 99 in Australia is like finding hens teeth... i am not joking. So i will need as much in formation a i can possible get on this as i will be buying from the US and it will be sight unseen. Risky and more expensive but looking like the only way and i think i still have a few friends in the states who can help me make it a private sale to ease the process. I could even go the 300 version and start there with a new rebarrel or take down so for a starting point, all i know i need a really good pistol grip action that feeds the 300 style case.

I'd try to dig up a model 99G. It's a T/D and it has a pistol grip.

If you want a solid frame 99 then I'd go with a 99EG in 300. There a dime a dozen up here in Canada and even though they sell a bit higher in the U.S. there are plenty of them around. The 99 EG in 300 Sav is kinda like a post 64 Winchester 94 in 30-30, everyone has one.

MAGNUS

Thanks Mad Dog!!!

I have some more questions sorry.... can straight grip 99 be made into a pistol grip 99 with a new lever and stock? Also can a 308 99 be adjusted feeding and magazinge wise to handle the 250 savage case, if i get a new barrel?

If so i think i'll have my 99, i found a non takedown 308 99 here in the land down under

MAGNUS

its sold >

MAGNUS

Ive been ringing all the firearm dealers found a another one and its supposed to be in amazing condition and 30 min drive from here!!!!

Its in 243 i hope its a pistol grip........ there asking $1500 AU hope they take lay-buy ;D

No time to waste they shut in 1 hr.

MAGNUS

I bought it... well i put it on lay-buy. Im now a proud owner of a savage 99 ;D

They guy at the shop said that if i get a new barrel it would chamber the .250 sav AI no prob and he does smithing so he better be right. It was in very good condition and he originaly had two one in 308 and this one in 243. Both went within 2 weeks and were deceased estate items. Its got a bit of oil on it but im hoping its not stock deep as they were stored for a very long time. Didint realise that they were so solid and i thought they would weigh alot less but hey what do i know.

Can you tell me bout this model Mad Dog and if its any good? It has 243, Chicopee Falls, "SP" stamped in an oval, serial number 947XXX, its a pistol grip but no schnabel front end.

Now i need to get a match barrel and new stock so i dont feel bad if i knock it, with that schnabel front end of course

Don't you dare rebarrel that gun!!!!!!

Do you know how rare it is to find a pre-mil 99 in 243!

Tell you what, if that thing turns out to be a model R I'll send you my 99A in 250 Sav for it.

Does it have 99F stamped on the right hand side of the barrel? If not then it's an R.

Can you send me pics of it?

MAGNUS

LOL..... i dont think it has F because i deliberatly looked for letters and numbers to help describe it, to help identify it. I was looking for models on the net it has a 24" barrel and i think it might be an R but i was hoping you would tell me...

Ill call the dealer tomorrow to look for an F and ill try and see if i can get down there and take a few pics... but honestly ill link this gun i found in the states with pics for reference for now, the condition of the one i put on lay-buy is WAY better with deep bluing except on lever and the stock looks a little more oily on mine. Kinda like granpa had it in the safe for all those years.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...5067&oh=216543

what does a 243 99R go for in the states, and what about the 308 version? Ijust missed out on that one i the dealer said they were a matching pair.

The one you linked to is an EG (schnabel tipped forearm) I already have one of them in 243.

I also have an R in 308, 358, and 300. I need an R in 243 and 250 to finish my set. The 250 R I can get any time but an R in 243 is a pain in the arse to find.

Here's a pic of one of my R's, it's the closest to the right. Does the gun you bought look like that?

http://www.koprash.ca/maddog/300%20savages.JPG

MAGNUS

Yes it does that front bead looks right and that steel butt end does too, even to the point where that top lip doesnt seem to curve enough to marry the wood . The bluing on my gun looks dark like yours but i think my lever has less bluing on it then yours does.

It would seem your trying to get one of each calibre in every model?

What should a good model 99 in 250 go for in the USA/Canada like the qauilty of the ones you have there in that pic? Is it more expensive for different calibres?

What is the difference between the model R, A, EG, F etc... is there a post or something i can read?

Ya, different calibers draw a bigger premium on price, certain models do as well. The 99A saddle guns in 250 have really been going high here lately. One guy was saying he saw one go for $2500 but I'm having a hard time swallowing that.

I'm not trying to get one of every caliber in the Savage line up, just the R's, I love the 99R's and I need a 243 and a 250 to complete it. The 250 should be easy to find but the 243 not so much. Thats why I'm so interested in seeing if you found one before you got drilling the poor thing out to something else. I'll swap you up a 250 for it if you want a 250 that bad! It's a pain in the arse to send or get guns out of the U.S. these days but it's still easy enough between Aus and Canada! ;D

Here's an old article I wrote on model descriptions.

http://savageshooters.com/index.php?...Do%20I%20Have?

MAGNUS

Just rang the gun dealer and it doesnt have 99F on the barrel. So i guess its a 99R.... reading that article now.

Yeah we cant get much from the US anymore unless it a private sale it can be very restrictive... infact i got prossecuted criminaly, a big fine and a huge laywers fee over a import for a gun stock. The laws are so tricky these days some things are good to go some are totally not, i have to be very careful i dont want to loose my firearms licence

MAGNUS

I must have an R model after reading that article the first thing i noticed was that the stock is beavertail, the triangle checkering does not go under the forearm and that stock is heavy! After reading that article i will be getting an F style stock for it so it is more handy to weild.

Cant i keep the original barrel when and IF i rebarrel, therefore it can still be a 243 if i put it back on?

MAGNUS

If i can afford wood like this to go on my 99.....

http://luxusgunstock.com/TrezStock_28-2.jpg

with similar to forend in this one.....

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/att...8-dsc00436.jpg

and the butt from this one is what im thinking.....

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/99c_s.jpg

Your killing me mate....

You can't destroy a 99R in 243!!!!

I guess you could, it's your gun but why wreck such a hard to find rifle?

This sucks, I go to bed and your just getting up.

Gotta be something we can do on a trade. Let me look into it before you go swapping wood and barrels around.

MAGNUS

No prob i wont be doing ANYTHING for a while the rifle it still at the dealers on lay-buy and im not very finacial at the moement... but i just couldnt let this go ive been looking for a 99 for too long and the condition was really nice.

Remeber this on this side of the pond EVERY 99 is a rare and ones in this condition are as rare as hens teeth. We should work out a racket where i buy 99s from you and sell them here, ill keep the flow nice and slow which in turn the prices high and keep a really good one or two for me

I know of one outfit here that says they can export to N.Z. and Austrailia.

I find that alot of 1899H's show up down under. Most of them in 22 H.P. I wonder if there was a large shipment of them at some time back in the day sent there. Maybe the gov't ordered a large quantity for a cull or something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.