Thread: What Size Pachmayer Decelerator pad for Boyds Stock?

Basic Member

What Size Pachmayer Decelerator pad for Boyds Stock?

Hello, I'm building a 300WM using a Boyds Prairie Hunter Stock and wish to install a Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Any idea of which Pachmayr pad will fit the stock and application would be much appreciated. This will be primarily a hunting rifle but I do admire comfort at the range.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Basic Member
    I went with the standard size for savage wood stocks I believe.
    Life is short, make every shot count.

thomae
    Nuance,
    I presume you will be custom fitting/shaping the pad to your stock.
    Here are my suggestions (for your benefit and for the benefit of others who will be doing similar pad replacement):

Go to the Midway USA chart of Pachymayr recoil pads and sizes.
    Click this link to go to the chart.

Alternatively, recoil pads and dimensions are also listed starting on page 72 of the Lyman/Pachmayr catalog.
    (Click here for the catalog.)

Really study the specifications for the Decelerator pads (Remember, not all Pachmayr Pads are "Decelerators."

1. The length and width of the pad need to be larger than the length and width of the butt of your rifle stock.
      - Remember that if you are cutting down your stock, the dimensions generally get smaller as you cut off slices.
    2. Many of the Decelerator pads have an "insert." You need to make sure that the you don't trim the pad smaller than the size of the insert.
    3. If your pad has a "bottom core," (open cells underneath to help with recoil absorption - see page 71 of the catalog), you don't want to trim the pad into the core area, or you will have hollow areas along the side.

For what it's worth, I used a D752B Decelerator Old English Recoil Pad Grind to Fit Leather Texture 1" Small, Brown on a wood stocked older savage I refinished.

I also purchased a D750B Decelerator Presentation Recoil Pad Grind to Fit Basketweave Texture 1" Small Black pad for a Boyd's Thumbhole stock that I own.

I wanted to shorten the LOP just a little (better fit for winter hunting) when replacing the original pad with the Decelerator on the original Savage stock, so I cut off an inch of wood and then replaced the original 1/2" hard rubber pad with a 1" Brown Decelerator for a total decrease of 1/2"

There are lots of videos on how to grind to fit. I bought a Miles Gilbert jig and it worked really well. I went slowly and followed the directions. I didn't use as fine sandpaper as they wanted because I could not find it in my local area, but the pad still turned out nicely. Freeze the pad in your freezer before grinding. Go slowly, and figure out the right amount of pressure to grind the pad and the harder backing plate at the same rate. Be advised that you will get rubber dust everywhere, so I would wear safety glasses and think seriously about doing the grinding outdoors.

I have custom fit one recoil pad, and will get to my second one soon, so I certainly do not consider myself an experienced "expert." However, I think the pad I did custom fit and grind turned out well, so you should be able to do it also.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited by thomae; 07-24-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: corrected typo: changed "bet" to "get"

Basic Member
    Very Nice Post.

Thank you so much for taking the time for your replies.

Jeff, who knows what "better fit for winter hunting" means...