Thread: Fore end on stock touching barrel on model 10 .243

jeffc2x

Fore end on stock touching barrel on model 10 .243

I have a model 10 .243 standard barrel with the black stock,and accu trigger.The fore end touches the barrel on the left side about halfway up.Will this affect the accuracy?It has the rounded fore end.I thought about buying a new stock for it.Are the Boyd wood stocks a good choice?I don't want to spend a fortune on one.
    Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc2x View Post
    I have a model 10 .243 standard barrel with the black stock,and accu trigger.The fore end touches the barrel on the left side about halfway up.Will this affect the accuracy?It has the rounded fore end.I thought about buying a new stock for it.Are the Boyd wood stocks a good choice?I don't want to spend a fortune on one.
    Thanks Jeff
    Accuracy: It's your gun, DOES it affect accuracy? What are your groups? Had several guns that don't care, several that do.
    Stocks: Yes, very "good" stocks for the money.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

jeffc2x
    It groups pretty good a 100 yards.Around a inch,sometimes better.Will the barrel be floated in a Boyds stock?
    Thanks Jeff

Yes,the boyds are relieved enough. I just bought one of the thumbholes and with shipping it came to 125.00 It is a drop in ,but should have pillars or at least bedded.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

jeffc2x
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Yes,the boyds are relieved enough. I just bought one of the thumbholes and with shipping it came to 125.00 It is a drop in ,but should have pillars or at least bedded.
    How does your rifle shoot with it?I like the thumbholes.
    Jeff

Basic Member
    You can open up the barrel channel on your stock.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

jeffc2x
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper15545 View Post
    You can open up the barrel channel on your stock.
    Just sand it a little?
    Jeff

Werewolf
    You can use sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to keep things round, and elbow grease it til it clears the high spot. Boyds stocks are good for the money, and all the factory contours I have bought them for have been floated fine. They are a good upgrade for factory plastic. i have used them plain with decent results, but like most sub $400 stocks they do benefit from bedding.
    Last edited by Werewolf; 07-22-2012 at 10:31 AM.

jeffc2x
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    You can use sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to keep things round, and elbow grease it til it clears the high spot. Boyds stocks are good for the money, and all the factory contours I have bought them for have been floated fine. They are a good upgrade for factory plastic. i have used them plain with decent results, but like most sub $400 stocks they do benefit from bedding.
    I'll try to open it up a little.I don't want to spend a fortune on a stock and get into a lot of work.The factory stock like mine is just letting the barrel float isn't it?Bedding a stock is a whole other thing isn't it?
    Thanks Jeff

Werewolf
    Having the barrel free floated means it is not touching the stock anywhere. That is what you need to shoot for right now. If your accuracy is not to your liking you can try bedding your rifle. Bedding is using epoxy and sometimes pillars to provide a solid stable foundation for your action which helps improve repeatability (=accuracy). You can use the search function here or google stress free pillar bedding.

jeffc2x
    Ok,thanks.
    Jeff

stangfish
    Good advice here Jeff.

Also check if tang is floated.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    i found out that on a lot of the synthetic stocks the recoil lug is touching the ribbing in the bottom of the stock not allowing the action to fully seat on the pillar. i ground this area out to make plenty of room for the recoil lug and when the actions is torqued to 35lbs on the front action screw and 25lbs on the rear actiion screw the barrel will sit in the channel without touching either side of the stock.

jeffc2x
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    i found out that on a lot of the synthetic stocks the recoil lug is touching the ribbing in the bottom of the stock not allowing the action to fully seat on the pillar. i ground this area out to make plenty of room for the recoil lug and when the actions is torqued to 35lbs on the front action screw and 25lbs on the rear actiion screw the barrel will sit in the channel without touching either side of the stock.

So that what they are suppose to be torqued to?
    Jeff

stangfish
    I think I would bed the lug at this point seeing how rough the recoil lug seat is.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I think I would bed the lug at this point seeing how rough the recoil lug seat is.
    it's a work in the process at this point, still needs to be roughed up for adhesion around the lug and action areas. i do intend to bed it!

ellobo
    Devildog pointed out a common problem not many are aware of. Clearing out that piece, put the action back in the stock, bump the butt on the floor to make sure the recoil lug is sitting on the stock and torque the screws and check to see if your barrel is free floated as well as the tang. If not, sand out the barrel channel and the tang area until the barrel and tang are free. And yes, Boyds are great stocks for little money.

El Lobo