Thread: savage 112 misfires.

Basic Member

savage 112 misfires.

Hello i have built a 112 280 remington and i am having misfire issues.The headspace is set corectly.I set the Brux barrel with Forester Go-& NO go gauges.I also had a gunsmith check headspace with his gauges before i had cal. engraved.I also had SSS T&T my action and install their trigger .I full length sized some cases and loaded 6 rounds 4 out of 6 did not fire.So i got some factory rounds and they all shoot fine.The factory rounds has a stiff bolt closing.So i got some once fired cases and barely touched the shoulders and it got better..I checked the firing pin protution and it was only 36 thousands I disasembled the bolt and adjusted the pin to around 52 thousands.I was shooting today not thinking about it and i had 2 cases (out of 20)to not fire.fireing pin hit primmer but no fire, looked like a light strike from firing pin.This thing shoots great but i cannot trust it does anyone have any ideas?Primers are CCI BR2 same primmers i use for my 25-06 without issues.Thanks Jamie

stangfish
    Everytime I have a fail to fire I forgot to put powder in the case..LOL. How are you checking your resized cases headspace?

parkj5, your cocking ramp might not be in correct alignment, causing exactly the problem you describe. The following gives a very good description along with photos how to get the bolt back together correctly. It can LOOK correct, but not be. The
    description is for the 10MLII bolt, but the area of concern is the same as a 112:

http://dougva.proboards.com/index.cg...y&thread=10522

Given that factory ammunition fires fine the first thing I would check is the length of your resized brass. To me is sounds like you are either pushing the shoulder back to much when you resize or you're dies are a little short (not all that uncommon). Compare the primers on those rounds that failed to fire to those that did fire and you may see a noticeable difference in the indentation left by the firing pin. If so this is likely your problem.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

If failure to fire is on reloaded ammo, make sure primers are fully seated.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by parkj5 View Post
    ...I also had SSS T&T my action and install their trigger ...I checked the firing pin protution and it was only 36 thousands I disasembled the bolt and adjusted the pin to around 52 thousands.
    FWIW: Do a search for "firing pin protrusion" and read the threads. I would suggest that .036" was set as your FP protrusion on purpose because Sharpshooter considers approximately .035" to be ideal. That's what I have on my rifles and I have had no issues. After your firing pin protrusion is set (and measure it with the bolt reassembled), install the spring and lock asher, then compress the spring and thread the cocking piece on. By adjusting the cocking piece, you shoulr compress the spring to a length of 2.6000" (for a long action) making sure that the cocking pin has enough clearance to rotate freely by hand when the bolt is in the fired position.

The above is all about adjusting your bolt and timing....but if that is not your problem, it may not solve anything. I agree with Admin that your brass being too short is the most likely cause. Do you have a case length/headspace gauge that would allow you to accurately measure your sized brass? In this case it would be an indispensable troubleshooting aid.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Headspace-Kit-With-Body-1-Each/
    Last edited by thomae; 07-19-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Originally forgot to make things purple!

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by parkj5 View Post
    .I also had SSS T&T my action and install their trigger ...I checked the firing pin protution and it was only 36 thousands I disasembled the bolt and adjusted the pin to around 52 thousands.
    To start, put things back the way they was. There is a reason why SSS places the firing pin at 36 thou. When you put more firing pin protrusion into the mix what you did was shorten the firing pin travel and made things worse. (If you was on the verge of cold fire, making the pin longer just amplifies problems.) If your having probems with your reloads but factory ammo has no problems, that should tell you something, the problem is in your relaods. As noted by MR F the problem could be in your dies, as he has stated many dies are short, and it could just well be that your are pushing the should too far back causing the case to push forward and causing an unsafe condition, you may be lucky that the thing is not firing. Are your shrue that the rounds are not firing? Meaning did you look at the back of the primer to see if there was a mark? With your relaods, did you clean the primer pocket? did you clean the cases? You may either have a build up in the primer pocket not alowing the primer to fully seat, or you could have constamination of the primers, from cleaning process, or something pluging the hole. I garentee the cocking ramp is in corect alingment, as this action was T&T by SSS, and he fully checks, and verifies everything is correct before it leave his shop.

Basic Member
    i have sent them a email and called they are hard to get ahold of sometimes.Thanks for all the reply's i put it back the way sss had it and go from their.
    Last edited by parkj5; 07-19-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Basic Member
    Sounds like you have a headspace problem. Your cases are probably sized too short. You need to check the shoulder bump with a comparator.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."