Thread: Model 10 pred. hunter max one 22-250 accuracy

flintstone

Model 10 pred. hunter max one 22-250 accuracy

Need some advise from anyone who has this model to get better accuracy out of it. I have tried various powders imr 4064 h 380 varget benchmark cfe 223 . bullets 50 gr. v-max 55 gr. v-max sierra 50 -55 gr s.p. blitzking 55 gr. varmint nightmare x-treme . Have done various loads with all,including ladder method with varing powder weight and bullet seating depth. I just cleaned the rifle and started shooting moly coated 50 gr. v-max. Using varget and imr 4064 c.o.l. set at 2.955" off ogive. It just that its not consistant with groups even when i think im close to finding a load. Thankyou in advance for your help and advise.

What kind of groups are you getting? How do they pattern? Are they over 1" less than 1"? horizontal stringing? vertical stringing?

You are going to get all the usual advice...check the scope, rings, bases, stock fit...etc. If you have done this I would put another scope on the rifle and see if you get the same results with the best loads you have tried.

Personally I would forget the moly bullets until you get it to shoot the standard stuff.

Sierra Edition V had the best accuracy with Reloader 15, for all bullet weights from 50 to 55.

Their accuracy load for 52-53g Match kings is 34.9 Reloader 15 with an OAL of 2.350". For their 55g bullets it is 38g of H380.
    Last edited by wbm; 07-25-2012 at 10:16 AM.

flintstone
    Thanks for the reply wbm! Groups are around 1" or less, best group was 5/8" at 100yds. Ive checked all the above you have mentioned and just put on a new nikon buckmaster 4.5 x14 mil-dot. I have put around 300 handloads and 10 rounds or hornady express 50 gr. v-max down range. So thats why i thought i would try 50 gr. v-max moly bullets ,also cleaned and moly coated bore. 5/8 group was two touching then one flier then two below first two touching,which opened up to 1.125 "

Understand your frustration. That is not great accuracy for a 22-250. Hate to say it but I might consider another barrel after that much load development. Some barrels just do not shoot....had a Ruger77 in 308 that was that way...would shoot one bullet powder combination fair and that was it. Traded it for a Savage.

acemisser
    what twist is in that barrel? I think I have the same rifle with the camo coating....same caliber..I beleive mine to be
    1 in 12 twist...Mine shot pretty good until I started getting pressure issues.I sent it back and they said the polished the
    chamber and cleaned the bolt and shot it 5 times with no more problems..This tells me mine had a little too tight
    of a chamber..It was gone 2 weeks and I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet..But I was blowing primers out of
    mine....I had one a few years back and it shot H 380 the best with 55 gr. v max...I mean like 1 inch at 250 yards..
    So good luck with your and clean that barrel **** good..I use the foam cleaner until the patchs are spotless...That
    throat will get real crudy....So clean it **** GOOD....John

flintstone
    acemisser mine is a 1 in 12 twist, with a fluted tapered barrel. Bought the rifle new in 2010. no pressure issues just not getting the accuracy i think the rifle is capable of!

Basic Member
    Try some Berger and Sierra FB bullets before you give up. they are more consistent than the v-max and will probably shrink your groups, maybe substantially.
    Jeff518

flintstone
    By fb do you mean flat base bullets?

acemisser
    I got my rifle back and decided to shoot it this afternoon..I used new Rem brass and of course I resized it to be sure it was going to
    fit the chamber...I decided to use Sierra 52 gr and Reloader 15 powder...I do not like to post my load data.I used CCI 200 primers.
    And set the OAL to the measurement in the book....I usually load 5 of each..increasing mybe only 3 tenths of a grain...We shoot
    F Class at 250 so that is where I practice at...I had 2 loads that were within an inch and 3 loads that were not so good..I was finding
    out the the hotter the load the less accurate..I was a tad over the middle loading....Savage polished out the chamber so I think the
    chamber was too tight befor....I have 500 and some rounds and am still looking for that magic load....

One thing that one needs to do is pratice their hold..If your gonna get good,everthing has to be the same if possible....

What I would like to know is what in h333 people mean by saying such and such works good for me...Anyone can hit a pie plate and
    call it good..But if you want tiny groups,you need to burn powder and bullets to get it...When I am working up a different load
    I never make any scope adjustment.....You don't need to do this until you have the magic load....You will get there...In the mean time
    like I told you...Clean that **** rifle real good befor you shoot any more...Once you patchs come out clean then you can start
    shooting again..Get the crude out of that chamber.....John

flintstone
    acemisser glad you got your rifle back! Sounds like its shoots better ,what kind of groups are acceptable in f class at 250?I can hit pie plates ,but i want to hit a nat's a.. at 100 yds. I start my loads half grn. or a the min. for the powder i use and go from there. The last loads i shot were set at 2.356 for oal for a 50 gr. moly v-max,thats base to bullet tip. the ogive for that seating depth put s it at .132 ths. off the lands/thats to much jump i think?

acemisser
    You hit that nat's ass and your good to go..here you need to keep all your shots in a 1 inch bull at 250 if your gonna win...
    As far as over all length I seat mine to what the manual says...or maybe a tat bit longer..Not much though..I have
    found that mine like to jump out there.....Have you tried and H 380 yet..That is also a good choice....