Thread: Interesting Day at the Range

beartooth91

Interesting Day at the Range

Initial load development with the Nosler 80 grn BT's. I am pleased with the initial results. On the (only) downside, my 7mm-08 was its normal, finicky self, grouping just over an inch with the Speer 130 BTSP and different charges of H380 and different seating depths.

John_M
    Great shooting, beartooth91. Your rifle seems to like the combination of 80 gr Nosler BT, Varget, and CCI 200. Ain't it fun to shoot a target like that!

beartooth91
    I will reload and reshoot the H380 load. I'm not sure what to make of it. The one, lone "flyer" was the third shot of the morning, after firing two fowlers. The one, ragged hole is the second, third, and forth shots of the group. The bore had been rigorously cleaned the day before.
    Considering this was initial load development, for this bullet; my 243 was very unfinicky. I can not say the same for my 7mm-08. I bought both around the same time, two years ago. Both have a little over 120 rounds through them. I've gotten only one good group out of the 7mm-08, and that was with the Hdy 139 SST and IMR4350, seated with a .030" jump. Any other powder; the groups open up to one inch or better. I never was able to get the Nosler 140 BTs to shoot in it. I'm currently working with the Speer 130 BTSP. Its a frustrating rifle. It also takes hours to get the copper out it.

Luckus
    To me it looks like your rifle is pretty dang accurate. It's not a match rifle, it's a sporting rifle. IMHO sporting rifle that hold an inch are pretty good rifles. You may want to try heavier bullets, my Ruger 7x57 is not consistent with bullets 140 gr or less, but loves 154 Hornady's etc. Good luck. Luckus