Thread: Savage 110 .338 Lapua - Anyone have good luck with 250gr projectiles?

lee82

Savage 110 .338 Lapua - Anyone have good luck with 250gr projectiles?

I have yet to see any solid data showing the 110 FCP or 110 BA can shoot the 250gr bullets worth a **** with any powder, and I'm starting to think the fast 1:9 twist has something to do with it. I am still at the early stages of development, but even my worst 300gr loads have been better than my best 250gr loads.

Is anyone grouping sub moa with *any* of the 250gr pills?

Bowtie
    I did with both the 250 and 285 hornady match ammo, but only went out 500 yards with them. But I had the typical sticky bolt lift and gave up on them, switched to HSM 300gr with Lapua brass and berger bullets.

lee82
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
    I did with both the 250 and 285 hornady match ammo, but only went out 500 yards with them. But I had the typical sticky bolt lift and gave up on them, switched to HSM 300gr with Lapua brass and berger bullets.
    What kind of group sizes were you getting? So far the best I've been able to get is 1.5 moa with the 250 SMKs.

Bowtie
    3/4 inch groups @500 yds. My 110 has been a nail driver right out of the box. When I was first getting it sighted in, my buddy was taking turns with me shooting, he is a lefty and I am a righty, we were stacking our shots on top of each other. He was enlarging my shots high right by about 1/8 to 3/16ths.

Any chance it's a scope/rail issue?

lee82
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
    3/4 inch groups @500 yds. My 110 has been a nail driver right out of the box. When I was first getting it sighted in, my buddy was taking turns with me shooting, he is a lefty and I am a righty, we were stacking our shots on top of each other. He was enlarging my shots high right by about 1/8 to 3/16ths.

Any chance it's a scope/rail issue?
    I doubt it, as I've had 5 shot groups with the 300gr bullets all touch at 100 yards.

A 3/4" group at 500 yards would be insane!

Bowtie
    I ask because I did have a problem with mine in the beginning because the scope was canted left. At 100, I was dead on, but at 300 I was low right and the pattern was spread out, once I re-aligned the scope and got it level, the patterns are amazing with it. At 1100 yards I am hitting an 8" by 8" plate 8 to 9 times out of 10 depending on the variables. This summer I have plans to try 1500, 1800, 2000 and 2000+.

seanhagerty
    surely you meant 3/4moa groups??

Bowtie
    No, 3/4 of an inch from the left edge of the left hole to the right edge of the right hole, from the top edge of the top hole to the bottom edge of the bottom hole. I don't use MOA for anything, my scope is a Vortex PST with a MIL reticle and everything I do is in Mil's and inches.

sinman
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    surely you meant 3/4moa groups??
    +1

You are shooting groups that would best most full bore bench rifles with a scope that runs more than your whole setup? Unless you had a 2 shot group.

Basic Member
    hes got my attention

Bowtie
    3 round groups, and while I know people are skeptical, it is all the gun, because my best friend can achieve almost identical results. I have roughly 30 years of shooting experience, taught by my best friends dad who was a Marine Sniper. I can't explain why or how I shoot so good with this gun, for some reason it comes as natural as breathing when I get behind the scope. I don't get anywhere near as good of groups with my 111 LRH using the same scope and ammo.
    Last edited by Bowtie; 04-27-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling error

Dave Garrett
    with your Vortex whats the maxium range you can dial up? Does your scope have something like 68 moa of internal adjustment? thanks Dave Garrett

Bowtie
    Max power is 24, and because it uses the MRad reticle it has a max adjustment of 19 Mrad's for both elevation and windage with .1 adjustments. If you get the same scope in the MOA reticle, you have a 65 max with 1/4 moa adjustments.

jsteag
    I load the berger 250 hybrid target match with Lapua brass, 85 Gr of V560 and shoot 1.5" at three hundred yards.

Bowtie
    Real good video to watch, and might have some tips or ideas that you haven't thought of to help get a little more out of your 110.