I finally got to shoot the 35 Whelen that I built using a 110 270 staggerfeed action and a 20" magnum (varmint?) countour Shaw barrel I purchased from Tammons.

I"ll have pictures up eventually and discuss the whole build, but for today, I just thought I'd share my initial results.

Using a cheap Simmons 3-9x40 scope I had laying around, after getting it more or less sighted in, I shot a 1.146 MOA 100 yard 3-shot group (Rice bags) and a 1.117 200 yard 3-shot group (bipod).

This was using a "random" midrange load of 53 grains of Varget and Hornady 250 grain interlock spire point bullets from the MidwayUSA blemished bullet sale. CCI 200 primers and reformed Lake City 30-06 brass that I purchased from someone else on the forum (or was it Tammons as well?)

Lessons Learned:

1. I need to tweak the magazine lips because the cartridges are releasing too early and then, because they are not in a nose-up position, they bump into the chamber end of the barrel instead of going into the chamber.
  2. I need to use a different scope. The scope I was using was "gently" kissing my nose with almost every shot. I'll have to see if I have (or else purchase) one with greater eye relief.
  3. The 35 Whelen is a real thumper from the bench. It weighs 8.6 pounds unloaded, so it is no lightweight. Hunting should be no problem, but I am glad I was wearing my PAST magnum recoil shield today.

I still have to do load development with the Hornady 250s as well as with some Nosler 225 accubonds I have.

In the photos below, please note that the lines are actually slightly less than 1 inch apart. 5 lines apart equate to 4.474 inches.

(...and yes, I did adjust my scope a little between targets...).

I can't wait to see what kind of groups I'll be able to work up!