Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load Development: How to?

handsomerob

Thumbs Up Made it to the range finally

It was a pretty nice day and finally got some free time. I'd have to say I did well and learned some things. I wasn't able to go through the whole scale of powder charges. I went from 41 grains to 43 grains in .4 grain increments. I'll probably do the 43.4 to 45.4 grains next week.

Savage Axis 308 Win. - Lighten trigger to 3lbs, used a washer to clean up side to side slop in the trigger as well, and added some weight to the hollow part of the buttstock.
    Bullets - 168 gr Sierra Matchking BTHP seated .010" off the lands. COL 2.852"
    Powder - IMR 4985 measured with digital Frankford Arsenal scale
    Remington Brass
    CCI Primers

Shot off a Bi-pod with a bag rest in the rear. Before shooting I cleaned with a bore snake and shot 3 fouler shots before starting grouping.

41.8 gr - http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h.../TgtGfx418.jpg

42.2 gr - http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h.../TgtGfx422.jpg

42.6 gr - http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h.../TgtGfx426.jpg

43 gr - http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...b/TgtGfx43.jpg

I put links because my targets were ones I printed and scanned in so they are pretty big. 42.2 grains were my best grouping ever at .505 MOA which is awesome. That was better than what I could do with Federal Gold Medal Match. That said I think I can do better. I need to work on my shooting technique. I'm also thinking about replacing the Bushnell Scope that came with it. This weekend I will start my project of building a laminate stock for it. The stock one from Savage is way too flexible for my tastes. After seeing what Bob Fortier can do I gotta give it a try. I'll be sure to post updates. Thanks for all of your help.

supergolfer18

Cool

I would look in the 41.8-42.2 area. Both these appear to have very similar POI. May even want to drop down to 41.4 and go back up to 42.2 to verify. Also did you see any pressure signs at 43gr? Hodgdon lists higher charge as being max

IIRC those bullets like a "jump" to the lands not that close to them. But like JIF posted initial test just establish max pressure then look for the 3 groups that have same POI then pick the middle charge. Then you can play with seating depth to tighten things up

Good luck
    Last edited by supergolfer18; 08-15-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Basic Member
    don't know how much reading you like, but if you have some tiime, this is a good read! i haven't used it yet, but will on my next load. sounds good!
    http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...ons/4529817134

supergolfer18
    devildogandboy: that is what I have been using and it is good load workup I believe. You should give it a try

handsomerob
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    don't know how much reading you like, but if you have some tiime, this is a good read! i haven't used it yet, but will on my next load. sounds good!
    http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...ons/4529817134
    I have had this bookmarked for a while now and have given it a look over every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by supergolfer18 View Post
    I would look in the 41.8-42.2 area. Both these appear to have very similar POI. May even want to drop down to 41.4 and go back up to 42.2 to verify. Also did you see any pressure signs at 43gr? Hodgdon lists higher charge as being max

IIRC those bullets like a "jump" to the lands not that close to them. But like JIF posted initial test just establish max pressure then look for the 3 groups that have same POI then pick the middle charge. Then you can play with seating depth to tighten things up

Good luck
    I'm using IMR 4985 which is listed as 45.4C as max. Not sure I you If you were looking at H4895 which is listed at 43.5 as max. I am thinking about the 41.8 to 42.2 area. I might even go 41.8 to 42.4 in .2 gr increments and see what I find out. I haven't been able to do more testing but the seating depth I really think has helped compared to other hand loads I've worked with in the past.

Thanks,
    Rob

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    The pic of 42.2 you posted....

When I see that I go .2 up & .2 down to find the sweet spot. You'll find out pretty quick which way it is. Put 3 of 4 rounds together in those powder weights & make 2 sets. You should be able to see what you need to do next.... 42.2 might just be the magic spot you're looking for.

Once you're happy with the charge weight, you can modify your COL or go on to the next stage of obsessive / compulsive disorder.....

Good luck.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

supergolfer18
    handsomerob: I saw it was IMR 4895 that's why I asked if you saw pressure at 43gr since that is where you stopped and Hodgdon listed 45.4 as max. Might want to work up to see if have a accuracy node higher around 43.5ish according to Dan's OCW and reading other's OCW range

handsomerob
    Quote Originally Posted by supergolfer18 View Post
    handsomerob: I saw it was IMR 4895 that's why I asked if you saw pressure at 43gr since that is where you stopped and Hodgdon listed 45.4 as max. Might want to work up to see if have a accuracy node higher around 43.5ish according to Dan's OCW and reading other's OCW range
    Okay, no I did not see pressure signs at 43grains. I just haven't had time to get to the range to do the other half.

acemisser
    i buy several boxs of factory and shoot them over the chrony..usually only 5 shots..
    once I got the MV's I then set out to reload if there is one that is a decent load for what I want..

And I save the factory ammo incase I need it later for hunting or home defence or whatever...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12