Thread: Axis Youth action same as full size?

mmatt

Axis Youth action same as full size?

I'm wondering if I were to buy an Axis, would I be able to use a full size stock on it instead? I'd really like to have a 20" barrel instead of the 22" and the lighter weight would be nice too.

Thanks guys!

mmatt
    So I called Savage to get the answer. The youth and full size stocks are completely interchangeable. In fact, if you buy a youth model, in the the box there is apparently a coupon for 50% off a full size stock.

Basic Member
    It would be less expensive to have 2 " cut off the barrel.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

mmatt
    The youth Axis arrived today. The 50% off coupon for a full size stock was attached right to the trigger guard. It turns out though that its LOP is 13.25". The LOP on my Hog Hunter is 13.75". The Axis is comfortable to shoulder and so I won't be spending the extra $$ for a full size stock. $50 for a half inch just doesn't seem worth it.

dacaur
    Well thats good to know anyway.... I have an edge in .308, and am considering getting my daughter a .243 youth edition.... its good to know that I can put the .243 action in my stock if I ever want to use it.... Thanks for the info... its somthing I always wonderd but just never asked....

Basic Member
    what is the cost of an adult stock?
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member
    I looked at a Savage youth stock and it appeared to be only about a half inch shorter than a full length stock, and that difference appeared to be a shorter buttplate. Instead of buying a full stock later, I bet you could add a thick recoil pad instead.

dacaur
    The difference is actualy a bit over 1.75". The youth is 40"OAL with a 20" bbl, while the full size is 43.875"OAL with a 22" bbl....

For anyone else reading this that has an edge, I read in another thread that the edge and axis have different thickness recoil lugs so that puts a damper on my plans to get my daughter a .243 and borrow her action in my stock....

Basic Member
    I had the Edge/Axis lugs with different thickness. The .190 wide lug worked in the Edge stock with a little force. Both lugs fit the Edge and Axis actions. I make all the stocks to .187 end mill size and the slot can be made wider if needed.
    RSG

Basic Member
    just bought a Savage Axis Youth model 243, nice and light gun for my boy. Should be able to swap barrels from my savage stash with this right? The action is actually quite smooth for the price point (cabelas $250) but the removable clip and plastic spring catch looks a little suspect.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

dacaur
    yes the barrels are standard savage. Thats what I hear anyway.