Thread: Barrel change out...

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Barrel change out...

Well, I guess I didn't run out of things to change on my Edge. I picked up a Varmint 25.06 barrel for my edge (thanks Mike) and swapped them out this morning. All went well and the project was complete within 2 hours.
    I just finished making up a bunch of ammo since I already know the ammo used for the old barrel probably won't be accurate enough.

The old barrel was impressive. I can't wait to see how it does with this big 'ol fat heavy barrel. Between the weight of the new barrel, the ballast in the stock to counter weight it, I guess I'll be heading to the gym to get back in shape.

Now if only this rain would go someplace where it's needed.....

You young fellas with good eyesight.... Is this 12x Nikon going to be adequate for 400yds? Or do I need to try it out and see if I need to get another Vortex?
    On the 200yd line it's just perfect. The 3" red circle disappears when it's perfectly covered with the crosshair. With my "middle age" vision I don't know if it'll work on a greater distance.

Anyway, this is my first barrel change out. I have officially lost my cherry as a 'barrel nut'. The OCD continues.....

One last tid - bit. Thanks to all who offered condolences. Last week I lost a very close family member. He took ill last year & continued to get worse. His wife is in a world of hurt financially so all family members are doing what we have to to help. Thanks again y'all.

Frank -not at the range- in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage
    Frank,nothing to worry about the OCD will not get better
    very sorry for your loss,to bad we do not live closer

Jim

seanhagerty
    I am sorry to hear of your family troubles. I offer my condolences.

To answer the question about scope magnification, 12x should be good for 400 yd ranges.

Basic Member
    Hey Sean.... Thanx for the words.

I've heard that military shooters use 10x scopes and can clearly see a human outline at 1000+ yds. I think it was in the NRA mag I read it (or some magazine....)
    Usually I can see my target but, to send 5 consistantly I like a higher power. I reckon I'll give it the 'ol college try & see how it works for me. Worse case scenario.... I gotta get a higher mag scope and we all know how hard buying a new scope can be. Tiresome hours scanning catalogs & websites just exhausting, I tell you.... Exhausting!

Geez I love buying gun stuff..... If only i had a few hundred extra bucks laying around.
    Frank inFla

Basic Member
    Thanks also to you, Bean...

Oooopps. Sorry, I didn't see your post. Laptop has small screen

Frank in Fla

skypilot
    Im usually at 12x on a 6-25x56 and a 6-24x50mm. Once the sun beats down on the farm land the heat monkeys go wild and you have to dial back to 12x anyway to make the target be still. I can see/shoot as far as 1800 yds and 12x is plenty for 1000+. I load develop @ 400yds on 12x due to mirage some days.

Basic Member
    I can only wish my eyesight was as good as yours....

I've officially reached that point in a man's life where things change & not always for the better.My eyesight is changing to where I probably should just get a pair of specs that will be specifically for shooting. You know... Something with a coke bottle bottom on the right side & plain glass on the left.

I've used my Nikon 12x on the 200yd line and did OK with it. As long as I have a benchmark on the target to line up with. I don't know about shooting a 2" red dot at 400ys or beyond. Guess I'll find out next time I get an invite to the 400yd line.

Feeding time at the zoo here - See y'all later.

Frank in Fla

dieselflipper
    i would think youd do good frank, i use my weaver 6x out to 300 yds and still am able to maintain MOA. godspeed to you and yours