Thread: My strange extractor problem.

Basic Member

My strange extractor problem.

Like a lot of folks, my Model 12 in .308 will not hold and eject fired cases. It will remove them from the chamber but only 1 our of 10 will make it to ejection. I have replaced the extractor spring and ball but to no avail.

Here's what I don't understand. If I remove the ejector, the extractor will remove and hold an empty case or loaded ammo. But when I reinstall the ejector, it won't hang on.

What to do?

Paul

kslefty

Re: My strange extractor problem.

The bolt face is a bit oversized and your brass is quite a bit under .473" I would bet.

Basic Member

I'll check. If this is the case, what should I do?

Paul

Basic Member

Just measured. Case head size, .465", bolt face .478".

Should I try another brand of brass? If so, which one?

Paul

kslefty

Usually in my .223 Lake City brass measures the largest, if you do not reload I am not really sure of a factory brand to try first.

Basic Member

I have plenty of brands of 308 I have been saving. Remind me later and I'll go measure the case heads.

I am running out of the house as we speak or I would do it now.

Dolomite

Skunce

I've been considering buying a 223 bolt head and opening it up to custom fit my Winchester brass. You would need to headspace your barrel after changing the bolt head. I changed the extractor ball also and it didn't help. I ended up losing my ejector while I was fiddling with it one day and I shot it without it while I had a new one on order and I decided I liked it that way. But mine is a LPRB single shot.

Another thing you might try is a different brand of brass. My Winchester measures .465" at the rim and my buddies Nolser brass measures .470". It's also .004-005" larger ahead of the extractor grove and doesn't show a bulge after firing. This is a 22-250 rifle by the way.

Basic Member

I guess I'll be ordering some Norma Brass. Does no one make a proper replacement bolt head for the Savage?

Paul

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by libertyman777
    Just measured. Case head size, .465", bolt face .478".

Should I try another brand of brass? If so, which one?

Paul
    Paul,

I just measured some .308 cases that I have, Winchester (some new, some once fired) and Federal (new). I measured 10 cases of each brand. All Winchester case heads were between .466 - .467". The heads were a bit larger on the Federal cases, all measured between .469 - .470".

Also measured a couple of Remingotn 30-06 and Lapua 6mmBR cases. Remington .465", Lapua .469".

groupshooter22

Try SSS on monday just after lunch. Fred makes a new extractor that might work. It has a slightly larger lip to grab and hold the rim. They are about $10 iirc. My rifle with all of the other fixes here (filing ejector, bigger ball bearing, more extractor spring) did not work and Lisa told me about this and tried it and works 100% now.

Skunce

I would give Sharpshooter a call to see what he thinks. He may have a custom bolt head.

My 22-250 bolt head measures .482" which still leaves .012" clearance with Nosler brass.

I think I could cure the problem by opening up a 223 bolthead and putting a smaller radius than the factory uses on the inside opening of the bolt head.

slipp

I had the same problem with my 22/250 so I phoned savage and they sent me all the stuff new extractor plus spring and ball bearing and ejector plus new ejector spring and a new pin for the ejector I replaced them one at a time and it didn't function well until I replaced the ejector spring and has been working fine ever since I guess there was a week spring in the bolt and the ejector did not have enough strength to keep the shell up against the extractor my opinion slipp