Thread: new fcp -fix or return to sender?

new fcp -fix or return to sender?

just got a new fcp with a H&S stock & while mounting the scope I noticed the front sling swivel stud was loose in the stock -wont tighten just spins
    it has 2 studs & I probably wont use both anyway -
    & its a fairly easy fix to drill out & epoxy
    but the stock is also noticably closer to barrel on one side
    if this was a used gun I'd just remove the front stud & fill the hole with devcon
    -but with both issues with the H&S stock I think Im gonna send it back
    hopefully they will let me just send in the stock
    it has a better trigger than my target model- breaks at 1lb -
    the very first factory triggger Ive ever had that I wont have to touch
    the barrel has a recessed crown - I like that a lot as well
    just a neat looking rifle -
    I thought Id like this H&S stock- & it does feel good - but Im starting to like my birch stocks a lot better
    Ive never had a issue with any of them

any suggestions appreciated
    Last edited by Willoughby; 07-12-2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: add info

justin1098
    Devcon will fix both problems if you bed it.

one more weird thing I noticed -when I changed the egw base from my other 110 to this one the front screw was to long to get tight -
    I always tighten front screw 1st as to make sure it dont bottom out
    I had a shorter screw from a weaver base
    so I look in the hole & see barrel threads - but this same screw worked on my other 110 -
    the barrel nut indicates its a small shank - but why the difference in depth ?

The barrel being off-center in the stock isn't a big deal as that will change/vary each and every time you remove/reinstall the barreled action into the stock until you glass bed it. Just loosen the action screws and retighten while holding the barrel centered in the barrel channel.

As for the front swivel being stripped, personally I wouldn't send it back for that. Too simple a fix to bother with the expense and hassle of sending it back IMO.

Wouldn't worry about the scope base screw either - just shorten it and forget about it. Action diameter can vary a little (few thousandths either way) and it's nothing to get bent out of shape over. Most likely it's a simple case of the curvature of the bottom of your scope base being more closely matched to this action than the other so it actually sits just a hair lower rather than having a slight gap between it and the action in the center where the screws are.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

loosen the action screws and stand the rifle up on its recoil pad. This will allow the recoil lug to make solid and even contact with the stock, then run the action screws in a little at a time until you get the desired torque you want. Now see if the barrel is still off-centered, and if so check to make sure that the rear tang is free floated. If not relieve some material in that area and try again.

As for the sling stud, just epoxy bed it in there and forget about it. This stud should be threaded into the aluminum frame of the stock so it was probably overtightened and stripped at one time, but a little epoxy will tighten it up. The HS stocks are about as solid of a stock as money can buy so IMO they are worth putting a little TLC into to make it right.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

skypilot
    On some models of tactical stocks with 2 front swivels, the front bipod swivel is supposed to turn.
    Even if it spins and is not supossed to, a Harris Bipod when installed and snug will not spin.
    Like Jim alluded, I wouldn't be concerned about the barrel channel, doesn't it have the huge bull, .850" @the muzzle barrel?
    Last edited by skypilot; 07-12-2012 at 08:53 AM.

it does have a heavy barrel- my concern is the stud should be into the aluminum rail -& if it pulled through it will continue to come through the stock unless removed from the top and repaired -easy enough to do - and probably cheaper than returning- the barrel being closer is just cosmetic in nature -its still free floated
    just woulda been nice to have been range ready......oh well then some days are like that......
    I still consider myself blessed to even have a rifle this nice

Basic Member
    I have 2 model 10's, one with 24" factory tube and one with 28" criterion bull. Both have HS stocks and both barrels are left of the center of the barrel channel, but still free floated. So my guess is if returned you would get back the same issue.

The stock on the criterion is the varmint/tactical with the verticle grip, most likely the model you have. The other is the varmint model from the LRPV

JB weld will make short work of the stud.
    Last edited by hafejd30; 07-12-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Ill probably fix it - but my concern is if the nut is pulled out of & is now below the aluminum bar - I would have to open up the hole in barrel channel & pull nut back through aluminum bar - then epoxy in a larger nut
    Im just trying to see if any one has had one of these apart this way before -
    once I start to repair it - Im commited at that point

all 3 studs are threaded into an aluminum rail - and the threads are very shallow on one side even in the second one -
    I checked it with just my fingers & its stripped to now
    the front two are easy enough to fix having access to barrel chanel
    but the rear stud I would be more involved
    at least the rear one has better looking threads
    Im gonna get longer studs & use nuts & washers on front two
    I hate to have my rifle & scope to hit ground because a stud pulled out
    Im gonna fix it myself
    I cant see how another one would be any different
    this way it will be stronger than another new stock

I found that 5mm 30tpi bolts threaded right in
    so I made a set of studs & they screwed in great
    I still added nuts to top for added strength
    then filled holes with devcon
    looks factory
    just stronger
    Last edited by Willoughby; 07-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.

I would call savage and ask for the supervisor and see if you can just send the stock back. I own quite a few hs precision stocks and they are high quality. I would definitely get the stock exchanged.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

stud - I think you can tighten the nut from the inside of the stock

"but the stock is also noticably closer to barrel on one side"
    ahh, you zee same problem as moi, the flipping screw hole was drilled too big or is missing a sleeve/pillar.
    I called savage, the gal was nice and sent a new screw of the same size, I tried to explain in vain. maybe I should have sprechen in aother tongue.
    newbie from gr, mi.

there is no nut - the studs are threaded into a aluminum rail
    I open up the holes in the barrel chanel to 3/8 -jus enough for the nuts I placed on the longer studs
    then I put devcon over the nuts - just took a pea sized amount to fill the holes to flush
    the barrel is still way closer on left side - not touching but almost
    I called Savage to see about a return & there closed till 6th I think they said
    I may still call back when they open up ...but from what Ive been hearing all the stocks on these are closer on one side ?