Thread: I just bought my first Savage rifle. Mine is a .22 bolt action, MKII BV:

Billcurtis

I just bought my first Savage rifle. Mine is a .22 bolt action, MKII BV:

After some small detail cleaning, removing burrs, and getting the Bull barrel to be free floating like it is supposed to be, this little rifle really shoots. Shooting Remington Tornadoes at 100 yards it is grouping slightly over1/14". I have read al lot about how bad the Remington .22 ammo is on some of these forums, and this is not what I have found. I also shot some Ely, and CCI mini mags. They both will shoot right at 1" with this rifle. But think about it, for any sort of game or varmit, application, there is no effective difference. Of course if you shoot matches then the best is the only way to go, for popping Racoons or possums, then the Remington stuff is just fine, it also feeds through my Pistol just fine.
    Bill...

The Remington ammo most have problems with are the Golden Bullet bulk packs (or most any bulk pack ammunition for that matter), and the main problem with them is that on average about 1 in 20 will fail to fire. That said, I've never purchased any of the high-dollar custom match ammo either (Eley, Lapua, etc.) as I've always gotten perfectly acceptable accuracy from standard and high velocity hunting rounds.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

thomae
    Nothing wrong with "acceptable accuracy." It will put squirrels in the pot.

...however...

Some of us also consider it fun to participate in the search for that elusive "one hole" accuracy.

To paraphrase Elmer Keith (I think) the more accurate a rifle is, the more interesting it is.

With .22LR, it's generally not that expensive, either.

You've got a rifle with great potential. You've found an acceptable hunting round. You are good to go. If you want to wring more accuracy out of your rig, you certainly can, but if you don't want to, no problem.

It's all good. Have fun and shoot!

Billcurtis
    Thanks for the reply tomae
    I have only started evaluating different ammo. My comment on the Remington ammo is based on my using it most of my life, I am 73 now and no longer hunt for food. I do still hunt varmits, but use centerfire rifles for that. I have on hand at least two thousand rounds of Remington Tornadoes. This stuff is my everyday .22 ammo for target shooting with my pistols, and for shooting with my grandson. I bought the Savage to experment with, and teach my grandson to shoot long range. I enjoy accurate rifles and want him to as well. I grew up reading Elmer Keith as well as other writers. That is probebly why I devloped an interest early on with long range shooting. And I still enjoy shooting today.
    Bill...
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Nothing wrong with "acceptable accuracy." It will put squirrels in the pot.

...however...

Some of us also consider it fun to participate in the search for that elusive "one hole" accuracy.

To paraphrase Elmer Keith (I think) the more accurate a rifle is, the more interesting it is.

With .22LR, it's generally not that expensive, either.

You've got a rifle with great potential. You've found an acceptable hunting round. You are good to go. If you want to wring more accuracy out of your rig, you certainly can, but if you don't want to, no problem.

It's all good. Have fun and shoot!

Billcurtis
    I spent some more time at the range with my new Savage MKII and now I know what the deal is with the Rimington bulk ammo. I have always bought the Rimington Thunderbolts in the 500 brick, this last buy I did get some bulk that was packed loose in the box. This stuff will not shoot better then about 4" at 100yds. I guess I thought the same ammo in loose pack was same as what I have been buying in the paper boxes packed 10 boxes to the brick. My old Thunderbolts will shoot into 1 1/2" the new loose packed stuff will not. So now I see what guys were complaining about.

Bill...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    The Remington ammo most have problems with are the Golden Bullet bulk packs (or most any bulk pack ammunition for that matter), and the main problem with them is that on average about 1 in 20 will fail to fire. That said, I've never purchased any of the high-dollar custom match ammo either (Eley, Lapua, etc.) as I've always gotten perfectly acceptable accuracy from standard and high velocity hunting rounds.