Thread: Savage 110 LA in 7MM Rem Accutruger Load

hydrashocker

Savage 110 LA in 7MM Rem Accutriggerr Load

Newby here!

I want to start trying a few loads but don't want to go broke as I am still working up 2 other guns right now. Anyway my gun does like the 150 Corelokt Factory load as I got a 1.6" group with em overall. Cold shot was way down about 5/8" as the rest of the 4 shots in the group were 3/4" making the entire group about 1.6" over all or so. Shooting was spaced 60 seconds. This was at 100 yards.

Next up was a tighter hand load using 160 grain speer spitzer hot core over 56.0 IMR-4320. Ran at 2941 FPS, overall length at .3020. 60 seconds between shots ended up the cold clean bore shot again lower then the other 4 shots of the group, just as the other. Down about 1/2" on the 1st shoot and the rest of the group was tighter at .7" MOA, total group was about 1" if my measurements makes any sense at all.

Tried 55 grains IMR-4350 over speer 175 spitzer hot core and it flung it all over, not even worth a measurement.

Had a buddy take it out with lots of other hand loads and came up empty handed, but I don't know exactly what he used and he doesn't remember. He is a great reloader and shooter. Really wish he would have wrote them all down now I am out a few years I can't remember either.

All in all it looks like the gun, as far as I can see, likes more of the 150-160 grain bullets and that is what I remember. I did save the 2 targets that I quoted in this post as they were the best overall of what we had tried. Now I am not a reloader, but my Father-In-Law is and I want to try something that will hopefully bring that 1st shot closer to the group and possibly get a 1" 200 yard grouping which shouldn't be out of reach. I have a nice muzzle break installed and a Boyd's semi cut thumb hole sporter gray wolf on it. It's free floated and seats nice but is not bedded or pillared, which I don't think it actually needs quite yet. Re-ramped as well and a nice Nikon on it.

Does anyone have a suggestion as where to go from here? Maybe the A-max or Hornady SST? Powders?

Gun will be used for long range (100-600 yards) Mulies and Elk.

Thanks!
    Last edited by hydrashocker; 07-01-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Basic Member
    Here is a great load that works in mine. Sierra 168g matchking, CCI Large rifle primers, Reloader 19 at 63.1g
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

okie2

accurate 7 mag

my Savage 7 mag shot the best group I have ever shot in my life with any caliber was
    a 140 gr balistic tip with 68 grains of reloader 22 ------72 grains is max load.

ellobo
    Dont clean your rifle bore until accuracy falls off. Savages like that. Wait longer between shots to cool the bore. Check for copper buildup which may occur in a barrel not used much. 3/4 inch groups arn't all that bad but bedding or pillars may tighten that up. Just make sure the barrel and tang stay free floating.

El Lobo

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo View Post
    Dont clean your rifle bore until accuracy falls off. Savages like that. Wait longer between shots to cool the bore. Check for copper buildup which may occur in a barrel not used much. 3/4 inch groups arn't all that bad but bedding or pillars may tighten that up. Just make sure the barrel and tang stay free floating.

El Lobo
    Not just Savages, all of my rifles like that.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

How long has it been since it was cleened deeply and had all the copper fouling removed? I would start there with a foaming bore cleaner over night and then shoot a few foulers and then go from there. My 7mm really likes the 168 grain bullets best as well.

Basic Member
    140gr accubond
    64gr IMR4350
    Win brass
    cci250

It shoots really well for me, out of mine.
    I cant get enough of this stuff!