Thread: New Leupold scope with hole

nimrod1

New Leupold scope with hole

So I pick-up my new Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X40 long range scope today. While I am looking it over, I notice that there is a hole in the main tube, forward and just below the side parralux adjustment knob. I am trying to figure out how to describe the hole. It is a hole in the outer skin of the scope tube but it seems that something is covering the hole from the inside.It is almost as if they punched out the hole, but the slug from it did not fall out. The hole is prob. about 3/32". Is this hole suppose to be there, or did something get past Q.C. I have many scopes, but this is my first Leupold, and my first scope with a hole in the tube.Can anyone shed some light on this? I am going to be calling the gunshop in he morning to see what they say. Thanks in advance...Joe

I don't have the same scope but I have a Mark4 with side parallax and the same 30MM tube and there is no hole in it that I can see.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

I would call leupold directly instead of the gunshop. Their warranty is second to none.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

nsaqam
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    I would call leupold directly instead of the gunshop. Their warranty is second to none.
    Yep, call Leupold.

nimrod1
    Well, the reason why I said I am going to call the gunshop is because if this is not normal, I fully expect them to send it back to Leupold and get me a new one. With tax this scope cost me over $900.00. I know I could have gotten it much cheaper online, but I try to use my local gun shop when I can. I just bought this thing yesterday,brought it home, opened the box, and seen the hole, it didn't even touch my gun yet. I'm sure that they will take care of me, I just have to call. I just woke up a little bit ago. When I get moving here I will give them a call. I'll let you guys know how I make out. Thanks for the responses.

nsaqam
    Leupold will send you a call tag so you won't even pay shipping if the scope is just out of the box and defective.

I'd deal with Leupold personally if I were you because they'll likely offer you additional services such as very nice discounts for their Custom Shop services.

Ask for Gabe or Sean Hunter.

nimrod1
    well, maybe I will give that route a try, as long as it doesn't cost me anything. I just can't believe that this this is defective. I understand that with mass produced products there will be some problems, but you can tell that the hole was put there before the finish was put on the tube. you would think that something like that would be seen before the scope was shipped out. I could not wait to get this scope and get it mounted, now I'm just pissed. Hell, I noticed it without my glasses on. Thanks for the contact info, I will ask for one of those guys.

Trent
    There is nothing wrong with the scope. Some of their scopes have that. I will try to find the documentation regarding it. The only thing you need to be concerned with is not mounting your rings over the divet. How "new" is the scope? Look at your serial number and find the letter. That'll let us date it.
    Last edited by Trent; 07-07-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Trent
    Well, I thought I still had one of my Leupolds with this little "hole" but I think I sold my last one with it. I didn't know they were still doing it which is why I asked for the letter code in your serial number. I've had several Leupold scopes with this little mark. If I can dig around in my stuff I will post up one of my old manuals that came with a scope that describes it.

Don't worry, your scope is just fine. Is it a vx-III or is it an older Vari-X III?

nimrod1
    It is a VX-3, the serial number is 381469W. I looked in the literature that came with the scope and I didnot find anything that describes the hole. I figured that they would explain what it was so that they did not receive a thousand calls. I am glad to hear that you had a scope with the same hole. I just could not imagine that something like that would make it past their Q.C. Thanks guys.

Trent
    I've had more than a few with it, but they were all older gloss models. Your scope was made in 1989 as per the Leupold website and your "W" code. Is it glossy or matte finish? I imagine it must be glossy. That is a strange date code considering the "VX-III" didn't come out until 2004. Prior to that they were called "Vari-X III". Check what is embossed into the Gold Ring on the objective end.

It's not really a "hole" and I wish I could track down the paperwork I have that describes it. They send me a single sheet of documentation that describes it. On the doc they say that you should avoid mounting rings within 1/8" on either side of the mark. I'll keep looking for it and scan/post it when I find it.
    Last edited by Trent; 07-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.

nimrod1
    It is a matte finish on the scope. I went to Leupold's website and looked at some pictures of scopes and I was able to see the "hole" on some of the pictures. And you are right about the gloss. Everyone I seen with the hole was gloss. Like I said though mine is matte. You said that my scope was made in 1989? It better not have been. I'm going to check on that, I didn't pay $900.00 for a 13 year old scope. I just bought this thing brand new in the box with plastic wrap still on the box. I'm not getting stuck with some "new old stock" scope. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I've had more than a few with it, but they were all older gloss models. Your scope was made in 1989 as per the Leupold website and your "W" code. Is it glossy or matte finish? I imagine it must be glossy. That is a strange date code considering the "VX-III" didn't come out until 2004. Prior to that they were called "Vari-X III". Check what is embossed into the Gold Ring on the objective end.

It's not really a "hole" and I wish I could track down the paperwork I have that describes it. They send me a single sheet of documentation that describes it. On the doc they say that you should avoid mounting rings within 1/8" on either side of the mark. I'll keep looking for it and scan/post it when I find it.
    Might want to look at Leupold's date chart again there Trent as it restarted at "A" in 1993 and they haven't updated it since 2007. Following the progression (2007 = R), that would make 2011 = W
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

nimrod1
    Thanks Admin, I didn't think that it was possible that the scope was made in 1989, but ya never know. Thank you too trent for all the info.

Trent
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Might want to look at Leupold's date chart again there Trent as it restarted at "A" in 1993 and they haven't updated it since 2007. Following the progression (2007 = R), that would make 2011 = W
    Good call, I looked at the wrong column!

nimrod1
    I e-mailed Leupold about the "hole" and here was their reply: "That is actually not a hole. It is a punch point on the outside of the maintube to make a pivot pin on the inside. That pin keeps the dual erector system in place".

Basic Member

Lightbulb

Before you get your panties in a wad......that hole is there for a purpose. It's where they purge the nitrogen in.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

nimrod1
    I'm ok with it now that I know that it is suppose to be there. It didn't look normal to me when I first seen it, thats all.

Trent
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Before you get your panties in a wad......that hole is there for a purpose. It's where they purge the nitrogen in.
    SS, you are thinking about a different "hole". You are thinking of the hole that is on the bottom of the windage/elevation center housing that is covered with a label. Read Nimrods post before yours and you'll see Leupold's response as to what it is. It is out on the maintube.

Basic Member
    I guess you're right, the hole I was thinking of is on the turret block.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."